• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Slow bike fast

Bikes that you have to "tach out" to build power are designed that way for a reason. When riding aggressively on curvy roads on the street or on track, it is advantageous to the rider to have a wide rpm range in a single gear so as to minimize the need to shift as many times between turns or mid-turn. It also makes the bike more controllable through turns when you are in the higher rpm range, as getting off and on the throttle is more predictable and less jerky. Whether you buy a sportbike of the 300cc flavor or the 1000cc+ flavor, and no matter how you use it, whether it be to commute to work every day, get out and ride wheelies every weekend, only drive it to bike nights, etc., the manufacturer designed it for track use, or aggressive street riding. These bikes rev to 10k-16k+ rpms for a purpose, not because that's the only way the engine designer could get any power out of it. They are purpose built machines, no matter what other purpose you may buy them for. Kinda like the NC is not an offroad bike, never was intended to be, although several use the NC in that manner. Adventure does not mean offroad, I go on adventures all the time and never leave the pavement.

Anyways, I'll stop....maybe the point there is clear enough.
I know there are different bikes for different uses and different riders, I'm just saying I prefer one that has plenty of mid-range torque. There was a time when I liked that high rpm power and even 2 strokes. Let's just say, to each their own, and there is a bike to fit everyone's preference.

Bikes that you have to "tach out" to build power are designed that way for a reason. When riding aggressively on curvy roads on the street or on track, it is advantageous to the rider to have a wide rpm range in a single gear so as to minimize the need to shift as many times between turns or mid-turn. It also makes the bike more controllable through turns when you are in the higher rpm range, as getting off and on the throttle is more predictable and less jerky. Whether you buy a sportbike of the 300cc flavor or the 1000cc+ flavor, and no matter how you use it, whether it be to commute to work every day, get out and ride wheelies every weekend, only drive it to bike nights, etc., the manufacturer designed it for track use, or aggressive street riding. These bikes rev to 10k-16k+ rpms for a purpose, not because that's the only way the engine designer could get any power out of it. They are purpose built machines, no matter what other purpose you may buy them for. Kinda like the NC is not an offroad bike, never was intended to be, although several use the NC in that manner. Adventure does not mean offroad, I go on adventures all the time and never leave the pavement.

I don’t think many here would disagree with what you’ve said. Bikes are designed for different uses. It all comes down to personal preference and Im not interested in a buzzy high revving bike for the road where I live.

On the track, that’s a different matter. If I lived in an area with really twisty roads, I’d probably love a Kawasaki 400 in the stable. But I don’t! I need something comfortable where I live for the boring straights, and the backroads. I’ve only had the Nc for a short while but I’ve ridden down backroads I ignored in the past because a racer crouch wasn’t suited.

Because of the straight roads here before covid, I’d ride down to the Allegheny mountains in Pennsylvania, which was only just over a hour to get to, whereas if I stayed in Ontario I’d have to ride 2 1/2 hours North to get to any fun roads. I’d do around 500k (300 miles) and ride back. I can’t do that anymore because of restrictions. Really miss riding a bike there!

Many years I rode around here in a racer crouch on a sporting bike, cursing the lack of turns available to justify my bent over positioning. That’s not to say I didn’t and to a certain extent still do, love being on something that will accelerate hard or handle like a dream. If insurance where I live wasn’t so extortionate I’d still have a gsxr1000, but I can insure a Vfr750 and Nc750 and still be paying a few hundred dollars less than I was for the one bike. I digress. Excuse my rambling.

I see you’re from the Alabama area. A lot of great roads down there, we’ll suited to a revving bike I’m sure. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Well, pulling a long grade at 70+ mph into the wind the NC lets you know it's working hard especially when hand guards, panniers, and a larger windshield have been added.

For a long time I thought I'd be on a Honda ST V4 forever, 180,000 miles. I agree it's close to the perfect road engine with easy going power from off idle to rev limiter. Fun & competent on Saturday morning sport rides or a 5,000 mile trip. More than a few times I thought I swallowed or bent a valve when it bounced off the rev limiter in 4th around a buck thirty five when I thought I was in 5th.. I've had singles, twins, a triple, inline4, V4, flat six but at this point twins are my favorite configuration. I like the soft pulsing throb of both the NC and opposed twin RT. Soft power delivery, torquey and easy going personality.
This. I don’t know if it’s age, or maturity (which my wife would argue) but the NC is the Swiss Army knife of all the bikes I’ve owned. I’m 45, commute 2-3 days a week, a weekend explorer, will do a couple of multi-day tips a year, and a sometimes stop light to stop light, or twisty road seeking aggressive rider. The NC so far seems perfect to me.

After riding cruisers, crotch rockets, modern classics, two-stokes and dual sports, the NC is the best mix of fun and practicality. Sure, another 20-30 HP would be nice, but I’m 100% satisfied.

Last edited:
So how many would be interested if Honda brought out an NC 850X manual and DCT (basically a bore upgrade), basically the same size/weight/features bike, with 80 hp and 65 # torque. (about the same as a Suzuki SV650) that included heated grips and cruise control as standard? Raise your hands.

I would

Last edited:
So how many would be interested if Honda brought out an NC 850X manual and DCT (basically a bore upgrade), basically the same size/weight/features bike, with 80 hp and 65 # torque. (about the same as a Suzuki SV650) that included heated grips and cruise control. Raise your hands.

I would
It would just be more money for the bike for me. My present bike has too much HP for me nowadays, don't need CC around here, but heated grips would be OK even though you pay for them. My NC750 isn't here yet but I'm sure it will be just fine.

So how many would be interested if Honda brought out an NC 850X manual and DCT (basically a bore upgrade), basically the same size/weight/features bike, with 80 hp and 65 # torque. (about the same as a Suzuki SV650) that included heated grips and cruise control as standard? Raise your hands.

I would
Not raising hand.

I don’t believe you could get 80 hp out of the NC style engine (long stroke, single intake/exhaust) at 850cc without significantly raising the peak RPM. If you increase the bore to get 850cc, the NC would then be basically a square engine. With every bore increase, you get further away from the long stroke character of the NC, which gives it it’s nice bottom end. If you want an oversquare higher reving engine to get your 80hp, there are PLENTY of those already on the market. If you said you’d get your 850cc with a stroke increase, I might be a little more interested.

I do wish Honda had originally come out with an NC500X, with manual transmission (or optional DCT, whatever), belt final drive, 4.5 gallons fuel, 425 pounds wet, maximum. However, that too closely overlaps the CB500X that followed the NC’s introduction.

The features in NC 2.0 that would interest me would be more fuel capacity and dump the chain drive (shaft or belt, please), keep the weight under 475 pounds, get rid of the latest electronic drive mode gimmicks, and I don‘t really care what the engine size is, as long as it’s quiet and very efficient. What might also really sway me would be variable valve timing, or even make it a hybrid. Let’s try to keep up with automotive technology.

When the NC went from 670cc to 745cc, the 75cc increase did not interest me. Simply going to 850cc would not interest me either.

I would
Yup. Probably.

I would
Sounds good to me.

At this juncture probably not. I have a 110 hp RT that has cruise & factory heated grips/seat and the NC700X is not under powered to the point I don't enjoy riding it. The NC850 could conceivably take the place of both my NC and the RT but I'm not interested in selling the NC and ponying up the $ to acquire an 850X when I have two much different bikes now plus the Wing for two up trips. The proposed 850X upgrades wouldn't mean that much to me.

I would
If I'm going to change for HP and Torque, what you are suggesting is not enough. In just a few years, e-bikes with more power and torque than you suggest will have enough range for a spirited 120 mile ride loop from my house. That will be my next bike. Better than DCT for sure. Little to no maintenance. Plenty of power and torque.

At this juncture probably not. I have a 110 hp RT that has cruise & factory heated grips/seat and the NC700X is not under powered to the point I don't enjoy riding it. The NC850 could conceivably take the place of both my NC and the RT but I'm not interested in selling the NC and ponying up the $ to acquire an 850X when I have two much different bikes now plus the Wing for two up trips. The proposed 850X upgrades wouldn't mean that much to me.
My Kawi has 110 hp also but I can rarely use it around this woodsy area. I used to like getting on my 110 HP 1980 Suzuki on the freeway on ramps, but I don't do much freeway riding since I moved here.

If I'm going to change for HP and Torque, what you are suggesting is not enough. In just a few years, e-bikes with more power and torque than you suggest will have enough range for a spirited 120 mile ride loop from my house. That will be my next bike. Better than DCT for sure. Little to no maintenance. Plenty of power and torque.
You are right. I just got back from a ride on my Zero. It’s acceleration is absolutely more than I’ll ever need. I mean that seriously, as the G forces make me physically ill using all of it’s acceleration capabilities. It can do 120 mile rides, although if you’re spirited, it may come up short. With just a few year’s advances in battery technology, we’ll probably have machines beyond what you described.

I would
I would too. Pushing a bit further, I would buy a NT1100 if it ever comes to North-America.

What I would be interested in is the VFR800x Crossrunner with a DCT. That’s kind of what I imagine when thinking about an NC850.

We don’t get that bike in North America, and I don’t believe it comes with a DCT option, at least not yet, but that bike would tick a lot of boxes. But big, thirsty, no frunk and heavy.

Last edited:

I would
Not terribly far off from the NT1100. If it comes here, I'm buying it. I think I mentioned I am going to try to ride it in September in Rome.

Not terribly far off from the NT1100. If it comes here, I'm buying it. I think I mentioned I am going to try to ride it in September in Rome.
Im certainly going to look at the NT1100 if it makes it here, but am pretty sure that it's going to be too large for me physically, seeing as how Im a munchkin

Im pretty happy with the physical size, weight and cg of the 2021 NC750X

I don’t think e-bikes will ever be better bikes, just different. They’ll be efficient but lack soul. Have you ever tried switching off your engine at speed, or just pulling in the clutch and coasting. All the noise goes and the bike feels completely different. You hear a lot of chain noise, the tires etc. It’s not the same. For me not as pleasant.

It’s the same thing with cars. Driving a 40 year old sports car, is somehow different to driving a new one. Not worse, just different, maybe more character, and that goes towards the enjoyment.

Back