• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Soft bag support bar for we mechanically challenged, easy to do and under $5.

Phil in Boulder

Reaction score
Visit site
63E0D9E7-7099-4539-9B9C-38444AE5CE44.jpgD6CB2281-170C-450D-B341-1FFDE0CAA991.jpg2E555DBA-4723-4116-8E2C-C4834DE9E205.jpg

Hi,
This is Phil in Boulder, good person, not gifted mechanically.
I recently mounted Nelson Riggs cL-950 soft bags on my 2013 NC700x, and they of course toe in into the rear wheel when loaded.
I made a support bar out of a 45” rubber tie down strap, an old curtain rod cut into 2 pieces, and some electrical tape. Took around 20 minutes from idea to completion, and this was easy even for me.
I’ve now ridden for three weeks, with varying loads in bags, including in rainstorms, and it just works.
I attempted to upload three pictures.
First ran the tie down step around the back just under red reflector and just above license plate, to the rear foot peg brackets.
Second cut 2 pieces of an old curtain rod, 22.5” each.
Third wrappped curtain rod pieces around outside of tie down strap on the sides, with closely overlapped electrical tape, with a dab of silicone caulk to seal the ends.
It is rigid, has been fully stable, seems to work well and can be removed or reinstalled in seconds.
Again, this is not complex or elegant, but looks neat and unobtrusive when on bike.
Thanks,
Phil

Welcome to the ride Phil.. I have the identical bags, still in the package, brand new and never used! I like them but just prior to installing them i scored a killer deal on a full set of factory hard cases, top box, rack and all mounts/hardware! So i installed them and have enjoyed using them. Sadly, the NR bags have just sat. I'll either find another use for them or sell em'.

Congrats on the fine engineering job. Necessity if the father of most inventions! Good for you, i like them! :{)

body parts luggage installation7.jpg

Last edited:
Back