• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Soft Luggage need deflector?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4372
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4372

I've switched from alu side cases to soft (Trek Pilot). The bags sit a few inches above the exhaust. Do you think I need a deflector? I've a flimsy one out of aluminum flashing which is 1.5-2 inches above the can and .75 inch below the pannier.

Your thoughts, O Gurus of NC700-dom?

Don’t know your bags but many soft bags can sag down when loaded. If you lose the air gap between bag and pipe you can set contents on fire even if bag doesn’t melt or burn. I saw it happen to a rider ahead of me and he was totally unaware he was on fire.
I would put the shield on just to be safe.

Yeah, a few bikes ago I had a cheap set of bags that sagged quite a lot. These Treks are better made of better materials. Plus I've mounted them on sheets of high density poly AKA cutting boards (3/8) so sagging should be minimal. I've mounted the plates on the rack so the bags sit fairly high. Haven't loaded them fully; next multi day trip is in May.

If you’ve done all that, I wouldn’t worry about the heat. Stock mufflers run cooler than aftermarket ones thanks to all those EPA pieces.

If you’ve done all that, I wouldn’t worry about the heat. Stock mufflers run cooler than aftermarket ones thanks to all those EPA pieces.
I know little about aftermarket exhausts because I have no interest in them, but you're suggesting that the EPA regulates stock mufflers but ignores the aftermarket? I would think the aftermarket products would need to conform with EPA rules and use "EPA pieces", but again, what do I know?

Last edited:
I know little about aftermarket exhausts because I have no interest in them, but you're suggesting that the EPA regulates stock mufflers but ignores the aftermarket? I would think the aftermarket products would need to conform with EPA rules and use "EPA pieces", but again, what do I know?
When I investigated aftermarket exhaust for my Royal Enfield I discovered a neat little trick the manufacturers play. The aftermarket exhaust are noted ‘for off road use only’ in which case they aren’t subject to the same EPA regs. This is why most of them are shorter, louder and more free flowing. If you get caught with one then it’s on you because the makers TOLD you not to do it. Just the little bit I learned.

Last edited:
Aftermarket exhaust melted a hole right through a Givi case on my buddy’s bike.

Shorter and exhaust aimed a bit higher than stock. Unintended consequences.

J_hz7JjQSgycs3QMJU3l1w.jpg

Back