• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question [SOLVED] ABS light on after accident

whiiiskyy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

My Christmas present was a rear-ended accident while waiting at the traffic light.
Luckily, this support for bags took the impact saving my leg and arm from a potentially full impact.

I'm okay and got something around $1.2k in damages. Next monday I'll find out with his insurance what's up.

The main problem is the ABS. The ABS light is supposed to go off after 10km/h. After the accident it keeps on and as expected you don't feel the ABS anymore.
I'm sharing this here hoping someone had a similar situation or might be able to reduce what I could check in order to find the problem.

If that helps:
  • it went to the floor with the left side facing down taking clutch level, clutch pedal, blinkers, and so on
  • I was stopped, neutral gear when that happened
  • I'm trying to fix this as it might seem easy and in order for my bike to don't take months at the mechanic
  • cannot think anything else for now.
Thank you so much for any help.

20200110_083403.jpg

It's probably just a damaged wheel speed sensor or ABS ring bolted to each wheel. There are two, one at each wheel. They are located on the right side so even if not damaged by accident impact you have have kicked or stepped on one of them when the bike fell over. The rings aren't labeled below but they are the circular rings bolted to the wheel, inside the brake disks, next to the sensors. The sensor has to be the correct distance from the ring and the ring cannot be damaged in any way. Check the wiring to each sensor as well.

IMG_3448.JPG

It's probably just a damaged wheel speed sensor or ABS ring bolted to each wheel. There are two, one at each wheel. They are located on the right side so even if not damaged by accident impact you have have kicked or stepped on one of them when the bike fell over. The rings aren't labeled below but they are the circular rings bolted to the wheel, inside the brake disks, next to the sensors. The sensor has to be the correct distance from the ring and the ring cannot be damaged in any way. Check the wiring to each sensor as well.

View attachment 41542

Thank you so much for your time.
Those sensors were going to be the first thing I was gonna check tomorrow.
I changed the brake pads myself recently and I took a huge care to don't damage them.

"the ring cannot be damaged in any way" I think this explains why.
I hope it is nothing too serious and I hope that by driving it after the accident to get home, I didn't damaged anything.

The impact was huge and if the sensor got too close to the ring with the impact, the guys insurance will have to deal with it as well.

I do have this manual printed as well.
Thank you for giving me a direction. I will post here once I get things done tomorrow.

Cheers

View attachment 41542

I got it working. But in a weird way:

• There are 3 fuses, and all of them were perfect. I checked all the fuses as I was already there: Checked
  • The sensors were still perfect, no damages, right distance, no damages in the ring. Little dirty so I cleaned them both: Checked

Went to ride inside the garage and the light was still on above 10km/h.
So I started going +20km/h, then hitting the brakes as hard as I could.
After few attempts the light turned off.
Turned off the bike, on again, right after the 10km/h the light turned off :)
I think somehow, the sensor module got lost due to the impact and by hitting the brakes hard made it find its way.

Thanks again for your help
Cheers

I got it working. But in a weird way:

• There are 3 fuses, and all of them were perfect. I checked all the fuses as I was already there: Checked
  • The sensors were still perfect, no damages, right distance, no damages in the ring. Little dirty so I cleaned them both: Checked

Went to ride inside the garage and the light was still on above 10km/h.
So I started going +20km/h, then hitting the brakes as hard as I could.
After few attempts the light turned off.
Turned off the bike, on again, right after the 10km/h the light turned off :)
I think somehow, the sensor module got lost due to the impact and by hitting the brakes hard made it find its way.

Thanks again for your help
Cheers

This fix makes no sense to me. I have no idea why this workedo_O

Back