• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Something Loose In Fork

MiG Angel

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I was replacing the seal on the non-brake side of the fork and also the oil on both and when I went back to put everything together I shaked the fork and noticed a sound on one of the forks as if something loose in there. I only noticed it on one of them for I had already filled the other with oil. I went ahead and put it all together and did a test ride. Nothing out of the ordinary and the seal replacement seems to have worked. My question for those who have taken the forks apart, is it normal for one of them to have that loose sound? My bike is a 2014 with 95,000 miles.

Last edited:
The only thing inside the fork that requires tension from a bolt is the damper rod. Everything else is held in position by the fork spring. By the way, that bolt comes in from the bottom and once unbolted, the damper rod falls out once the fork is inverted. No special tools required.

What dirtflier said above is true. There is only one bolt in the whole fork, and once the spring is installed, the spring forces everything to stay in place. The one bolt holds the damper tube and screws in from the bottom. If that bolt were loose, fork oil would leak out.

Last edited:
Good to know. I saw a video where a gentlemen stuck a long tool to unbolt the bottom portion. I did notice the bottom bolt but figured I needed to unbolt both to disassemble. Good to know.

What dirtflier said above is true. There is only one bolt in the whole fork, and once the sping is installed, ithe spring forces everything to stay in place. The one bolt holds the damper tube and screws in from the bottom. If that bolt were loose, fork oil would leak out.

The long tool you mentioned was used to hold the top of the damper rod while the bolt from the bottom is loosened but probably on a different model/brand bike. The top of the damper rod on most, perhaps all, Honda street bikes is round without any lugs or edges that can be gripped by a long tool.

I've found that it easier to loosen that bolt with the fork still assembled so spring force is pressing down on the damper rod.

Back