• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Special Thanks to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office!

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last night my car outside in the driveway was rifled through by a thief. When I discovered it at 7 AM I figured the thief got only a few bucks in loose change and I blamed myself for not locking my car which I usually do. I did not report the crime to the police as a waste of their time and went on to work. Around 1:30 PM I went to use an iPad I use for work and discovered it missing, realizing I left in the car last night. Once again I kicked myself for leaving the car unlocked and the device in the car. After a few minutes I remembered to check "Find My iPad" on my phone. To my surprise the app showed it's map location about 15 miles away. An email came in with the street address. I disabled the iPad remotely and called a friend in the JSO, Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, and told him of the events. Shortly he called back and asked if I would met an officer near by. Sure I said and shortly met an officer at an agreed-upon location. She took the information and with another squad car they set out to knock on the door at that address. In due time JSO called me to tell me that my property had been recovered and there was so much evidence at the house they were able to make an arrest. About two hours later one of the JSO officers met me and gave me my iPad back. I know it's not always like this where the good guys nab the bad guy in a few hours but I'm still thankful and respectful of those that serve and protect - even if I did not get the property back I'd feel the same way after my encounter with the JSO.

I've worked closely with local LEO's as school resource officers and found them all to be competent and professional. They do a job i would not want.

Amazing how the devices have the built in "Location Finder" to them.
DD - Was your lap top on and in SLEEP mode or was it turned off?
I was wondering if the location device is still active with the device off.
This so In know about our tablet as well.
Was wondering if that and my phone needs to be on to activate the location.

Great story and just a reminder of how professional and awesome most Law Enforcement personnel are!

God bless!!

Michael

Back