• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Speed sensor A

Wedders

Reaction score
Visit site
2016 Nc750x DCT
Went out on the bike today and got a MIL light again. This is the second time it’s happened that’s why I bought a scanner. I’ve read the fault code as P0500 speed sensor A. Can anyone tell me which is SS.A and where I can find it. I’ve cleared the fault and the light disappeared, but wondering what could be the cause.
Back story I fitted a 16 tooth front sprocket which threw out my speedo, so I fitted a Healtech Speedohealer to correct it. Could that be causing the problem?

Last edited:
2016 Nc750x DCT
Went out on the bike today and got a MIL light again. This is the second time it’s happened that’s why I bought a scanner. I’ve read the fault code as P0500 speed sensor A. Can anyone tell me which is SS.A and where I can find it. I’ve cleared the fault and the light disappeared, but wondering what could be the cause..
Why did you not read the DTC from the MIL as recommended in the Service Manual?
You are using the wrong "translator" of the fault code. This has already been discussed quite extensively.

P0500 is a generic powertrain code, applicable to any engine with an OBD2 diagnostic. You would need to determine how that code might relate to Honda motorcycle, since is not a Honda specific fault code.

The NC has only one Vehicle Speed Sensor. If you have interrupted the VSS signal with a speedometer corrector, not at the VSS, but further downstream right at the combination meter, maybe your DCT NC is not happy about that.

2016 Nc750x DCT
Went out on the bike today and got a MIL light again. This is the second time it’s happened that’s why I bought a scanner. I’ve read the fault code as P0500 speed sensor A. Can anyone tell me which is SS.A and where I can find it. I’ve cleared the fault and the light disappeared, but wondering what could be the cause.
Back storey I fitted a 16 tooth front sprocket which threw out my speedo, so I fitted a Healtech Speedohealer to correct it. Could that be causing the problem?
which type of scanner...typically obd2 scanners do not work on most modern motorcycles....you would need the obd scanner....but not necessary to read the mil codes....if the check engine light comes on, pull over somewhere (DO NOT TURN OFF THE ENGINE), place the bike in neutral, put kickstand down and count the flashes...there will be a series of long dashes and short dashes...Remove the healtech speedohealer and see if the mil comes on again...if not, you have your answer.....when troubleshooting such things,,,,typical question,,,,did something change? If yes, change back to original spec and see if problem re-occurs...if the speedohealer was not calibrated correctly when installed, theoretically it can cause a MIL light.

When you say what has changed, it was nothing. I had been out on the bike since the last MIL with no problems, and this time I had ridden about 50miles stopped for lunch and then when riding away the light came on. Like you say though I can remove the Speedohealer if it happens again.

next time it comes on, count the dashes, when in neutral and with the kickstand down.....If code comes out to 86, communication error to the display and most fixes is to disconnect battery cables, clean the cable ends, the battery posts, reconnect the battery cables....

Chalk me down for betting it's the 1 tooth down front sprocket that's causing the problem. Not really sure the speedohealer fixes what's thrown off by offsetting the gear ratio relative to the inputs the DCT processes. Just my guess.

Chalk me down for betting it's the 1 tooth down front sprocket that's causing the problem. Not really sure the speedohealer fixes what's thrown off by offsetting the gear ratio relative to the inputs the DCT processes. Just my guess.
Don’t like your guess, as just 1 tooth down changes the riding experience, and I don’t want to go back.

next time it comes on, count the dashes, when in neutral and with the kickstand down.....If code comes out to 86, communication error to the display and most fixes is to disconnect battery cables, clean the cable ends, the battery posts, reconnect the battery cables....
I’m just going to fit an Amplink and rewire my accessories so will be disconnecting my battery, will check then.

Don’t like your guess, as just 1 tooth down changes the riding experience, and I don’t want to go back.
I understand, as it's something I'd like to do to mine as well, but have not for fear of issues like this. I thought it was kinda dumb Honda went to a 17 tooth sprocket on the 750's. The 700's have 16 tooth fronts, but I suppose when they upped the engine size they had to up the front tooth count to maintain those high mpg's.

To date the generic OBD scan tool has yet to a proven reliable tool to read Honda motorcycle codes or live data stream.

Back