• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Spring ride - south e / ga/nc

Therapy

Reaction score
Visit site
So, apparently there is a ride in the spring where things are nice.
Stecoah, NC the weekend prior to memorial weekend. Stay at the Kickstand lodge.

This year that makes it the weekend of the 21st and 22nd. I don't mind some weekend stuff and meeting but since I am going so far I am going to want to stay more time and use some weekdays. Not sure if I am going to camp or cabin/bunkhouse/motel-it. Probably not camp as I am pretty bad at getting up off the ground these days.

It is in my calandar. If the creek don't rise I plan to be there.

It will give me an excuse to put a decent rack on my bike and put together a tool kit. (Not that one really needs many since the NC is such a great bike and all.......:p) Not sure I am ready to spend the bucks on saddle bags and trunk. All that stuff is really pricey. When younger I had all the stuff I needed in a single box and a back-pack bungied to the passenger seat.

Ok, I just typed a big long reply and dropped it ...crap.
again
Kickstand Lodge or KSL Kickstand Lodge motorcycle campground
They have some small cabins and a bunk house. Reservations are needed, start calling in January, talk with Bobby or Mo. I tent or hammock camp.
Supper is usually served on Friday/Saturday and sometimes Thursday if there are enough folks. Breakfast too, but usually the riders cook that or do your own. I can show you around the kitchen. There is a diner 1/4 mile away and Robbinsville is a short ride over the mountain.
Mo likes cash. Supper is a $10 donation, breakfast $5., Beverages $2. There is a jar for donations to meals.
KSL is located on 28, or sometimes called Moonshiner 28. The section past Fontana over to 129/the dragon is really fun. 28 south is great too.
The campground has a nice bathhouse with towels, but bring your own soap.
There is usually a group campfire each night. Bring musical instruments if you will, Mo likes to sing.
Mo is a character. She will always remember your name, even when drunk. Her best saying, "we don't have stupid insurance". Get a "I KNOW MO" sticker. I'm proud of mine.
There is usually a stray hanging around to add interest.
I usually go up on Wed or Thursday, depending on weather. (bring rain gear. We usually get wet at least once) Weather can be cold/hot/ just right. Usually just right.
One regular goes up on Monday every year. Sport bike guy, but good to ride with. Check out his bike trailer.
I usually tent camp. The spots by the creek are coveted.
I've been going up there for 6 years and I'm still discovering good roads. I really want to start riding the hundreds of miles of forest roads. I've done some on my DR and they are fun. There are several mapped routes on ADV forum. Check the Tellico adventure trail thread and the Tellico 500.

For you flatlanders, that transition to twisty's can be difficult. Ride YOUR ride. Those blind, decreasing radius, with gravel corners can mess up your day. I see Life Flight helicopters every year. You can get killed up there. Not one of us, but a young rider was killed on the Cherohala last year when we were up there. His buddy slowed down too fast, and he rammed him. Severed his leg and he bled out before help could arrive. Just saying..

You can check out my blog for pictures, write ups and videos. Adventures of an Old fat White guy. The Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy
Check the KSL posts. Up to three per year. KSL 5 has a video that ends at the campground if you want to see the digs.

I'm already getting excited.

Not sure how it happened but I got two emails.

There are simple cabins and a bunkhouse. Reservations for those. Might want to call in January. Talk with Mo or Bobby.
Meals are generally served in the evenings on weekends. There is a diner just up the road and Robbinsville is over the mountain.
Breakfast is usually available and cold beverages are in the cooler. Generally, a $10 donation for dinner, and its worth it, $5 for breakfast. $2 for adult beverages. Bring cash, Mo likes that better. There is a donation jar for meals.
Nice bathhouse, they provide the towels, bring your own soap.
I like to go up on Wed or Thurs depending on the weather and my work schedule. (i'm semi retired) One of the regulars goes up for the week each year. He's a sport bike guy, but a good one to ride with. Check out his bike trailer.
We usually get some rain, but despite the worst forecasts, we get in some good riding. Just bring your rain gear. Some years its hot, two years ago it was freezing. Usually, its just right.
Usually a group campfire in the evening. We used to have a guy bring home made beverages, but he hasn't shown the last two years. ( jail maybe?) Bring musical instruments if you want. Mo likes to sing.
Mo is a character and she will always remember your name. Make sure to get your I KNOW MO sticker. I'm proud of mine.
The campground is located on highway 28, commonly called Moonshiner 28. The ride over to the dragon is about as good as the dragon itself. 28 south is great. There are plenty of places to go. I've been up there for the last 6 years and still am looking at roads I've not ridden. I'm looking into starting on forest roads. Still need to get my skid plate and up the suspension on the NC. I've ridden a few of those roads on my DR...great fun.
To see more, check out my blog, dalewarren.blogspot.com or adventures of an old fat white guy. Look at the KSL posts. Some years will have multiple posts. Yes...I'm corny.
I thing a video on KSL 5 ends with my arrival at the campground, so you can get a brief view.
Kickstand Lodge motorcycle campground
Not the fanciest place, but it has atmosphere and Mo usually has a stray or two who are interesting folks.

Lastly, if you are a flatlander, be careful The shift to twisty mode catches somebody each year. Start easy and ride YOUR ride. People get killed up there. We usually see the airlift helicopter fly over each year. One of my buddies had a head on on the dragon two years ago. He lived, but doesn't ride anymore.

I'm starting to get excited and its 7 months away.

It's worth reading twice. And a bunch of the blog.

Last edited:
Back