• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Standard and Touring Windshield with Laminar lip

RinconVTR

Reaction score
Visit site
The paint strips are not even worn off my tires, so I do not have the miles on to say which of these two versions is best. But I can positively say both are a huge improvement. As everyone else has said here, the stock screen at high speed allows too much air to push you back. And the touring creates a ton of buffeting.

The Laminar Lip, I opt to hard mount each screen with 1/2-3/4" plastic spacers, nylon screws, and nylon thumb screws. They are quickly removed, adjusted up or down (I added extra holes...probably not needed) and the spacers allow me to change the angle of attack.

This is something I did to my previous bike, an FJR1300 for a couple big reasons. One, the lip as applied with "velcro" does not leave much of a gap. Which leave it not much different than adding a bigger shield, but much uglier. Then after seeing new F1 wings get a major redesign due to rule changes in 2011-2012 using multiple layer wings and seeing the CFD analysis, it was pretty clear that they smooth out airflow and drag behind the wind (while also increasing downforce of course). So that's what I did. And it ended up becoming the best mod I made on my FJR1300.

Original screen with Laminar Lip (Not an NC700x lip...but one made for the Ducati Multistrada...I selected it as a trial based on shape and size. I did not like the way the one made for the NC700x specifically, looked). I only took one pic...WTF.

IMG_20160413_185525912_zpsuzsu8y1v.jpg

Touring windsceen with the laminar lip made for the NC700x. It matches up with the touring shield profile better than it does the original shield. Yet, laminar lip says they have no idea how it will fit, cause they never tried it on the touring shield.

IMG_20160413_195201866_zpsjjoxlubm.jpg

IMG_20160413_195340360_HDR_zpsnl5661ow.jpg

IMG_20160413_205634651_HDR_zpsi7s6pgdk.jpg

IMG_20160413_205655328_zps6l5xavin.jpg

Where I stole the idea...F1:

F1%20wing%20front%204_zpssl9bmmmn.jpg

F1%20wing%20front%203_zps9gk398w7.jpg

The original test on the FJR1300:

DSC07237_zpsi9lehore.jpg

DSC07234_zpsjfwfgz8j.jpg

Who stole the idea FROM ME?!?!?! Ducati...on their 2016 Pikes Peak. Somebody get me a patent attorney, STAT! :rolleyes:

Ducati%20Multi%20Pikes%20Peak%201_zps3tm2baku.jpg

Pics slowly getting better. I have not yet swapped back to the original screen with lip. This is still the touring with lip.

_20160414_221913_zpsfcnv04vo.jpg

Original screen with a lip made for a pre-2016 multistrada 1200. (The NC700 I drilled to fit also, but this looks better.)

Speaking of looks, I can overlook some of the weirdness because they are definitely effective. The touring screen with lip at 80-90mph is shockingly comparable to my previous FJR at those speeds. The lower one I need more miles on to make any statements yet...but its not bad!

IMG_20160418_162436167_zpssajjpeck.jpg

Well, the verdict is in. I dont like the OEM screen nor the Honda touring screen.

But I love the Laminar Lip. They clearly did their homework. When their lip made for this bike is mounted with standoffs vs their dual lock velcro crap...the darn thing works shockingly well. It cuts thru my high speed commute speeds very well (constant 65-85mph), providing a buttery smooth air flow even at top speed. I only get buffeting in heavy traffic. Of which, I felt with every the OEM alone, the Honda Touring shield and a mix of configurations with two Laminar Lips.

I'm 6' tall, 34" inseam. If you can tolerate the look, the cost benefit is there, and the function is....well....hard to believe. You simply have to try it to believe it. It's impressive.

And of course you wont need to drill 6 holes as I did. Going higher than shown had no noticeable effect.

IMG_20160627_184214078_zpsdhp0gmfu.jpg

ac637326-4b02-4890-97fd-0830d4e3023a_zpsrufmki5o.jpg

IMG_20160627_184236445_HDR_zpsdvnhszje.jpg

I had great success with a laminar lip on an NT700. But no success with a lip and the NC. My guess for a lip on a Givi screen didn't make an improvement. I got a Madstad but it is not as good as I want either. I think a lip with the right screen might still be the answer for the NC.

I had great success with a laminar lip on an NT700. But no success with a lip and the NC. My guess for a lip on a Givi screen didn't make an improvement. I got a Madstad but it is not as good as I want either. I think a lip with the right screen might still be the answer for the NC.
just to clarify you tried a lip on a Givi screen and didn't like it? I've got a Honda tall screen (the PO bought) and was thinking of trying a lip before forking over the money for a Madstad as the consensus is they work the best but are expensive and I still hear people like you that say they tried it and weren't happy

Yes, Rippin. It didn't work well but I think it is because I had the wrong combination of screens. I think that in order for the lip to work well you need a main screen without a recurve. The Givi has a strong recurve at top which doesn't allow the lip to redirect the airflow. On the Nt stock screen it worked unbelievably well. The Madstad on NC is a big improvement over the stock screen but nowhere as good as the Nt with lip. The Nt has a fairing but the buffeting was also terrible until I put the lip on. I spent 180 on the Givi and lip so I wasn't willing to experiment anymore and went with the frequently praised Madstad.

I was open with Laminar about what I was doing (trying various Lips on various screens) and they were very clear; They only design the Lip to work on the OEM screen and they do extensive testing.

The Lips work best when hard mounted with spacers. That gap via different spacer thickness can dramatically change the effects of the Lip, from good to great.

The worst or I should say most minimal results are installing the lip with very little gap, directly on the OEM screen with the supplied "Velcro".

^^^ I heard similar about mounting a laminar lip from the Calgary dude I pictured on the CB500X awhile back.

I have a tall windshield from National Cycle a V Stream. I want to add 2-3 inches in height. Any ideas?
I have also had my instrument cluster melt due to the way in which the windshield concentrates the sun at certain angles. After replacing the instrument cluster I fashioned a cover I put on each time I park the bike outdoors.

I have a tall windshield from National Cycle a V Stream. I want to add 2-3 inches in height. Any ideas?
I have also had my instrument cluster melt due to the way in which the windshield concentrates the sun at certain angles. After replacing the instrument cluster I fashioned a cover I put on each time I park the bike outdoors.

You could add 2-3 inches over the tall screen by mounting the lip slightly over the top edge.

You could also paint the inside black as I did. Sun wont go thru that!

The sun melting the gauges is what old pillow cases are for. :cool:

I go back to the stock screen in summer.

I have the Honda Touring screen and use the Wunderleich deflector and am happy with it.

Having said that I probably would prefer the Madstad if cost wasn't an issue as it is even more adjustable. The Wunderlidh deflector is very adjustable, but it can't match the adjust of the entire screen like the madstad.

Here is a pic of my Wunderlich deflector on the Honda Touring screen

https://nc700-forum.com/forum/members/netizen-albums-mods-picture3624-img-20130409-073203-a.html

Back