• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sterring pulling to one side or the other

Inventor71

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a used 2013 NC700X with 10,000 miles on it. It has Michellin Road 4 tires so I know they are not original. I am not a fan of the tires but they are barely used. The problem I am having is at lower speeds when I go into a turn I have to hold the handle bars straight because the handle bars want to turn into a turn. I have a BMW and a Suzuki and they don't do it so I was wondering if this is what a NC700X does or is there something wrong. After 40 - 50 mph it doesn't seems to do it but it could be centrifugal forces hiding it then. Its done this since I bought it. I don't hear any unusual noises or sounds. I have jacked the bike up and check the bearings and triple tree and nothing seems wrong.

Any help is appreciated

Doesn't sound right to me, unless what you are experiencing is the profile of nimble tires and it's making you think something is wrong. The Pilot Road 4's are great tires. They tip in quickly, as they are geared more toward sport touring, so they make the bike feel very agile and tip into corners very easily.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Did you check the tire pressures? A low front tire might require steady pressure on the inside grip to keep the turn from tightening up.

Otherwise, different models and brands of bikes can feel differently in turns. Some remain neutral steering after tipping in and some naturally want to tighten the turn and require steady inside grip pressure. Of course the NC has only one suspension adjustment but changing sag in the forks and shock can affect steering geometry and modify or eliminate the need to hold inside bar pressure.

I am also not a fan of Michelins and particularly not on my NC. To be fair I did not try the 4s or later but all previous generations. The soft sidewalls 'give' more and always seemed to require mid-turn adjustments to hold the line I want.

Good point Dave. Come to think of it, my Nomad front tire was low the other day, started out down the road, didn't take long to figure out it was low. Turned around at a stop sign and went back home to air it up. When I was turning around at the stop sign, couldn't believe how much force I had to apply against the bars to maintain the turn. That was similar to what the OP is describing. Tire may just be low of air.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Check the alignment of the rear axle, and not just trust the marks on each side. Use a tape measure between the swingarm pivot and axle on each side. If it is off by a small amount, the bike will always try to go in one direction.

Thank you so much for the ideas. I will check tire pressure and swing arm alignment and let you know. I am considering for next years ride moving to ADV tires so that might remedy some problems. I am not a street rider very much. I see a gravel / dirt road I turn and explore.

Different bike models often behave differently when cornering and the needed steering input to control turning varies.

I'd rate my S as having pretty neutral steering, it turns in easily and gets on with the turn without much further bar input.
My Buell always want to stand up without some forward pressure on the inside bar.

Front braking into turns on the S shows little tendency to stand up but the Buell tells me not to brake when turning, please.

Back