• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stuck exhaust

Dwangs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello folks I just picked up a 2012 nc700s.

It's been through 15k miles of Scottish winters and need some TLC.

So far I've replaced the rear shock with a yss. Stripped and rebuilt both brake calipers as both needed new pistons. I've cleaned and greased up the swing arm bearings.

Bikes now looking great and runs great. However I noticed the exhaust clamp was broken and missing half of it and the Allen bolt for exhaust shield has been nicely rounded out thanks to the previous owner. Got that out with an easy out. However my exhaust won't come off from the link pipe it's totally sized up or been attached with a exhaust sealant.

Can anyone recommend a way of getting it off? it's rusted through and needs replaced so just wanting to get it off without damaging the link pipe any advice would be great thanks.

Where about are you in Scotland? I come from Perth. But I went to school in Los Angeles.
Been back a couple of times to compete in the SSDT. (trials rider)

I was actually gonna swap my carbon fiber yoshi exhaust from my 2013 NC to my 2016 NC, and put the oem exhaust from my 2016 on the 2013. I could not get the yoshi off, and only had it on a little over a year. However, I didn't put any valiant effort into persuading it off either. Once I saw it was going to be difficult to get it off, I just said screw it and dropped that idea.

In your case, my suggestion would be to take the whole exhaust off, header and all, so you can work with it in the floor and not on the bike and risk bending something, cracking a pipe, or breaking off an exhaust stud/bolt (never took the exhaust off so I'm not sure what holds it on, I would assume it's studs). Put some cardboard in the floor so you don't scratch the exhaust all up (if working on concrete), and maybe put your foot on the head pipe, use a rubber mallet or something to try and hammer the muffler off of the head pipe. It would probably do some good to saturate the joint with WD-40 to help free it too. But holding force on it like a foot against the header, while pulling the muffler with one hand, and hitting the joint with a rubber mallet should do the trick. But again it may not. I hate dealing with old stuck stuff like that, good luck!

If there are tabs on the muffler where it slips in use a flathead screwdriver to loosen them up a bit, PB blaster or gasket remover and if you have a heat gun, warm up the muffler side of the connection. Give it a good wiggle

Back