• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Summer Adventure 2018

I'd suggest you're underrating the value of a good night's rest, not only for that night but on the next day's riding. Playing around with a deflated air matress at 3 in the morning is miserable. You might consider this cot- Amazon.com: Byer of Maine TriLite Cot by, Lightweight, Easy Setup, Packs Away into Travel Bag, Single: Sports & Outdoors It's cheaper (but heavier and 29" long packed vs 20" for the Marchway) but gets more positive reviews on Amazon (87% positive, 6% negative compared to 69% positive, 26% negative for the Marchway)

Last edited:
I'd suggest you're underrating the value of a good night's rest, not only for that night but on the next day's riding. Playing around with a deflated air matress at 3 in the morning is miserable. You might consider this cot- Amazon.com: Byer of Maine TriLite Cot by, Lightweight, Easy Setup, Packs Away into Travel Bag, Single: Sports & Outdoors It's cheaper (but heavier and 29" long packed vs 20" for the Marchway) but gets more positive reviews on Amazon (87% positive, 6% negative compared to 69% positive, 26% negative for the Marchway)
It seems a better item. Thank you. As you noted, it's too long, packed, to fit in 22" wide top box.

I'll book mark it for later.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Playing around with a deflated air matress at 3 in the morning is miserable.
For single nite stops I prefer a yoga mat. It has never deflated at 3am, nor cared if it was laying on sharp objects. Even cots without a mattress becomes uncomfortable after a short while. Yoga mats also can be trimmed down to meet size requirements.

Ray

For single nite stops I prefer a yoga mat. ... Even cots without a mattress becomes uncomfortable after a short while.
Ray

An "Extra Thick Deluxe" Yoga Mat [HERE] is 1/4" thick.... or perhaps you meant ...something else?
I hope I can someday be comfortable on a mat like that... but I'm still a beginner.

Last edited:
Unlike Ray I never slept comfortably on foam mats, and have migrated to the trees for a comfort (hammocks- but that's probably not an good option in the Southwest). In my thirties & forties a thermarest self-inflating pad was enough, but later on sleeping was more problematic. Hence an air mattress, which had it's own learning curve- thermarest 's speed valve needs perfect closing not to leak.

Last edited:
The self inflating pads are awesome and pack up small and quickly, but they're susceptible to a puncture leak just like a air mattress, then your screwed.

A good air mattress is the most comfortable but Airobed is the only one that has held all night and been comfortable and that's no where near travel friendly for a motorcycle

I've tried 4 different cots and never had a problem with comfort, find one that packs small light and quick and I'd think that's the winner

Unlike Ray I never slept comfortably on foam mats,
Don’t think I said “comfortably”, but they do allow you to endure the nite while enroute to destinations when only stopping for the single nite at any one place.

My style of riding between destinations is to never waste daylight. When I get somewhere I plan on staying for awhile, I break out my Helinox Cot Max and Nemo Cosmo Air Pad 30XL. On those, my 6’4” bones can sleep comfortably for extended days or weeks. I guess I’m just too lazy to set them up for each single nite’s stop.

Ray

hat light

Departure day is next Saturday, 14 July. I'm leaving around 5 AM to avoid the Las Vegas Traffic that tends to clog the Cajon pass along Int. 15..

Today's picture is...
hatlight1.jpg

This is a small light that fits on a hat visor. $1 at Walmart. It does exactly what you think and shines a light in the direction you are looking at all times. (unless you wear the hat backwards... don't do that.)

Get up in the middle of the night, pull your hat on, turn the black switch to on, and you can see!

The batteries are CR2032 and replaceable. It's not a "one use" item, and it does an efficient job when you need it to.

(sorry to sound so much like a commercial... I don't get anything for promoting any of this stuff...it's just fun to share.)

Last edited:
Leaving tomorrow morning! Wahooo... already missing Mrs. StratTuner, but that always happens.

Here's the NC loaded for touring:
loaded01.jpg

and from the side...

loaded02.jpg

check in at glympse.com/!strat3 between 06:00 to 18:00 hours (6AM to 6PM) to see it live.
If it says, "expired" then I'm offline.
This only works when I have phone signal.

First Stop: (somewhere near Route 66)
firststop.jpg
There's only ONE fire ring here, so I hope it's not taken.
I have alternates planned.

Last edited:
Best of luck. Looking forward to the occasional Glimpse. Heading off tomorrow for a few days trail riding on my CRF250L. Will catch up on my return.

A screen shot from just now
ee75776285add7840d74baa6903517e4.jpg

I made it to Kingman AZ by lunch time, so I'm stopping at a Carls Jr (Hardee's) I know there.
I've been wearing the water soaked, cotton, long-sleeved shirt under the mesh jacket, and that's really made all the difference. When it's not cooling via evaporation, it's keeping the hot air (convection oven effect) off my 55 year old skin.

Las time I was here, there were 6 brand new Tesla charging stations installed in the parking lot. Back then, they were all empty. Today they are all full. Times change.

I've got about 100 miles to go before the unofficial camp site. Going on dirt roads with Conti-motion tires inspires .... caution. If the dirt is deep and sandy, it will not go well. Alternate sites are a little further in Williams, and there's a very nice RV park in that same city.

Right now, it's nice to sit and enjoy the AC.!

I'll post a picture of the camp site, which ever I end up at, if there is 4G signal.

Cool Screen Shot! Zooming out on the map sometimes helps locate where the subject is.
Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Cool Screen Shot! Zooming out on the map sometimes helps locate where the subject is.
Thanks for taking the time to post that.
Good point about zooming out, I was just thinking hey he's on the road on schedule and moving[emoji106]
Hope your having a good time

It poured down rain and thunder and lightning all the way from Kingman to Seligman.

Seligman is the tourist trap for Route 66.

It also has a KOA with three cabins. The cabins have a frame and a pad no bedding nothing much else. They are very rustic, but I got this one for $48. The cabins have electricity and heat and indoor lighting. I'm making this entry from a small desk.

It's still pouring down rain outside, and that means all my campsites are now mud holes. I can manage dirt on my NC but not mud. Here's hoping for a better tomorrow.
58d3988705da256c3f647575c7c95348.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing the R/R buddy, it sure is nice for the rest of us to follow along with you! Dude, that top box is H-U-G-E..!! You could almost part-out your bike in it and ship it home!! :{)

Last edited:
Back