• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SUV driver was stupid, but so was I

I gotta agree. It's frustrating but most cagers don't get it and probably will never. Letting it go is probably the best policy. One thing I found interesting about being on my bike it that if you watch carefully drivers take notice to.... my GoPro camera on top of my helmet. That's right. Many times I look in the rear facing mirrors and I see drivers and their passengers taking and pointing at me. I can only deduce that they are taking about the camera. It's noticeably different w/o it. And if it's egregious enough, the footage becomes a great piece of evidence. Safe riding!

One thing I've noticed about me is I take longer to get into traffic when I'm on my bike as opposed to in my truck.
I'm going to make darn sure if I stall out "they" have time to avoid me. In my 1980 F-150 , it's not as scary pulling out in traffic.

Not saying you took too long, just too long for the jerk.

Another irritating driver behavior to me is when people cross the double yellow to get into a left turn lane rather than wait for it to open up. I have never seen someone ticketed for this but it is quite dangerous if you are ahead of them and obeying the law.

It is not just a moto thing, though, I have the same problem in my car.

On my moto I always double up with hand signals in this situation.

I live in California and it was very crazy here in the late 80's and all of the 90's. Lot's of freeway shootings and road rage incidents. I saw fights on the side of the freeway. It was insane. One truck full of dudes went crazy after they threw a bunch of cups out the window on the freeway when everyone was doing 80. I was in my car and gave them the bird. They proceeded to follow me and even got out of their car at the light. They were big dudes and I was fearing for my life. So, I pulled a gun and the incident was immediately over when they ran back to their vehicle. Whether or not what I did was illegal is subject to interpretation. I did not shoot anyone, and no one was hurt. On my motorcycle, I will occasionally look at a driver who does something stupid, but I shake it off after that and proceed on. You are likely to lose most battles with a car while you are on a motorcycle. So, it's best to let it go as most have said here.

My reaction on the initial post of Lou... I didn't find that situation an odd one, in fact it's something that is quite normal stuff where I live (NL).
But... I would have chosen the right side of the intersection. The point where you hold was likely suggesting that you would make a full turn, especially when your left indicator was still active.
And please don't try to get them back, you'll always loose that battle. Just stay cool and enjoy the next stretch.

Here is a quote from an old Dale Carnegie book:

"Here lies the body of William Jay,
Who died maintaining his right of way –
He was right, dead right, as he sped along,
But he’s just as dead as if he were wrong."

It was used (in the book) to point out that you can't 'win' an argument the premise being:

"A man convinced against his will
Is of the same opinion still."

I think hand signals are underused.
One thing I cannot take credit for is cyclecruza, the YouTuber, said to wear high viz gloves so your hand signal is visible.
He shows in a video how the hands are basically invisible in black gloves.

I like this forum - on the USA Rocket forum some comments would have been along the lines of 'Hey man that's why my Glock is always in my saddlebag' ;)
Mike

My brother knew a guy that carried 1" ball bearings. Get in front and let a few slip off to the side. (Atlanta)

One thing I've noticed about me is I take longer to get into traffic when I'm on my bike as opposed to in my truck.
I'm going to make darn sure if I stall out "they" have time to avoid me. In my 1980 F-150 , it's not as scary pulling out in traffic.

Not saying you took too long, just too long for the jerk.

Maybe I am too impatient but the third time you miss an opportunity to cross by leaving enough room to stall and have the oncoming traffic slow and avoid you I will be pulling around you....in my truck or on my bike. But then I have a truck and a DCT.:cool:

Back