• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SW-Motech Engine Guards and Fender Extender

hulkss

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does this combination work OK? Will a fender extender hit the guard's front cross bar on a NC750X? Deflecting an extender into the front tire could have bad consequences.

Does this combination work OK? Will a fender extender hit the guard's front cross bar on a NC750X? Deflecting an extender into the front tire could have bad consequences.
I don't have one but every fender extender I looked at for the NC700/750x would work with any common crash or light bar

I've got the SW Motech crash bars and a Pyramid Plastics Fenda Extenda with no issues and good protection. I used much better adhesive and the extender hasn't moved in 5 years.

Fenda Extenda

I don't have one but every fender extender I looked at for the NC700/750x would work with any common crash or light bar
I saw this posted: "The SW-Motech engine guards have a cross bar that connects each side underneath the radiator so they're arguably more secure and firmly attached than other brands that don't have this extra connection point. (eg PUIG / GIVI etc...) However, I've heard of reports of the fender extender hitting this bar under extreme front shock compression..."

https://nc700-forum.com/threads/taking-the-plunge-deposit-down-on-a-2016-750x-dct.10760/#post-156391

I saw this posted: "The SW-Motech engine guards have a cross bar that connects each side underneath the radiator so they're arguably more secure and firmly attached than other brands that don't have this extra connection point. (eg PUIG / GIVI etc...) However, I've heard of reports of the fender extender hitting this bar under extreme front shock compression..."

https://nc700-forum.com/threads/taking-the-plunge-deposit-down-on-a-2016-750x-dct.10760/#post-156391
I reread this post a few times. Went and looked at my wife’s ‘16 and my ‘18 and I honestly don’t see the “report” as possible. Even if you bottom out the front fork, which would likely be far more traumatic than losing a cheap fender extender, I doubt the plastic fender extension would snag a crossbar on an engine crash bar.

These are, after all, street bikes. The suspension is not designed for true off-road use. Bottoming the front forks probably means you were airborne or you ran your bike into a large immovable object. I do my best to stay out of the city of Chicago in the wintertime during ‘pothole season’ when the holes in the streets can swallow a CTA transit bus, but it seems unlikely any rational riding could cause the fender extender to snag a guard. Perhaps someone can run some video that makes me reconsider?

Fairly easy to determine. On a bike with an SW-Motech crash bar and a Fenda Extenda, support the bike adequately, remove the fork caps and spring spacers, lower the front end until fork compression end of travel is reached, then determine clearance, if any, between crash bar cross member and Fenda Extanda.

I reread this post a few times. Went and looked at my wife’s ‘16 and my ‘18 and I honestly don’t see the “report” as possible. Even if you bottom out the front fork, which would likely be far more traumatic than losing a cheap fender extender, I doubt the plastic fender extension would snag a crossbar on an engine crash bar.

These are, after all, street bikes. The suspension is not designed for true off-road use. Bottoming the front forks probably means you were airborne or you ran your bike into a large immovable object. I do my best to stay out of the city of Chicago in the wintertime during ‘pothole season’ when the holes in the streets can swallow a CTA transit bus, but it seems unlikely any rational riding could cause the fender extender to snag a guard. Perhaps someone can run some video that makes me reconsider?
I've bottomed out the suspension on every bike I've owned. Not often, but on occasion it happens. Usually a dip in the road that was bigger than anticipated. It definitely happened several times on the Alaskan Highway.

Fairly easy to determine. On a bike with an SW-Motech crash bar and a Fenda Extenda, support the bike adequately, remove the fork caps and spring spacers, lower the front end until fork compression end of travel is reached, then determine clearance, if any, between crash bar cross member and Fenda Extanda.
Yes, I guess I'll buy the parts and do the test. There seems to be a version (possibly older) with a straight cross bar that looks like extender clearance trouble. The current one is stepped and maybe tucked in better.

Attachments

• old design.JPG
    old design.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 25
  • stepped.JPG
    stepped.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 26
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 25
I've bottomed out the suspension on every bike I've owned. Not often, but on occasion it happens. Usually a dip in the road that was bigger than anticipated. It definitely happened several times on the Alaskan Highway.
I know about these frost heave bumps, too, on the Alaskan Highway. If you are lucky, you can see them in advance and take them standing on your pegs, helping to absorb the bump.

I just went out and measured the clearance on my 2018. The version of the engine guard I have looks like the second photo attached above. I have a cheap fender extender I ordered from Amazon. The total distance from the bottom of the fender to the bottom of the crossbar, measured at the rake angle, is right about 7". Well above the 5.4" of travel of the fork. As long as the fender extender is following the curve of the factory fender, there is no way for there to be a clearance issue regardless of crossbar style.

Back