• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SW-Motech skid plate fail

GunNut37086

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed this skid plate this weekend on my 2014 NC700X. The old brackets came off and the new brackets went on without any issues. When it came time to install the plate itself, the front screws went in fine, but the rear ones were WAY off. I couldn't even see the the hole in the bracket from underneath and shining a light in the skid plate hole produced zero light through the bracket hole. Removing the front screws and mounting the rear ones first, didn't work out much better, but at least I could see how far off the hole alignment was. The holes were off center by about a half inch. I was not a happy camper.

I used some squeeze clamps to get the left front screw lined up, but it took a worrisome amount of pressure with those clamps to get that first screw in place. When the first screw was in place, the second screw on the right front was still off by about 1/8". I had to grind the hole out to an oval shape to get the last screw in place. By that point I'm really really not a happy camper. At this point I was very disappointed, but didn't want to remove all those brackets to return the skid plate. It still feels solid, so I don't think the oval shaped hole will affect the strength of the plate. However, I'm not looking forward what happens at maintenance time when the Honda service tech starts charging me a bazillion dollars an hour to reinstall the skid plate when he's done.

I saw an old thread from a few years ago about warped SW-Motech crash bars, but that seemed to me to be due to the welding. It seems more likely to me that the brackets are not shaped properly instead of the skid plate holes being drilled in the wrong places. The brackets are just bent to shape and drilled, no welds are involved that I recall. I did a lot of research deciding which of the several skid plates would provide the most coverage, which was made of the strongest material, and which looked like it would be easiest to install. Looks like I picked the wrong one, LOL.

Anyone else with a manual transmission have this much trouble with the SW-Motech skid plate?

It's a shame many companies in this market often don't hold themselves to higher standards considering the prices we often pay... I've had to do similar procedures on stuff I've installed on a couple of bikes and an ATV. I'm sure many almost take it for granted there will be instruction quality and fitment issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the holes on my ultra-sturdy WR250R skid plate came from the fabricator oblong, and they center perfectly on their attachment points. Really makes it easy to hit the mark when re-attaching.

i have a dct, i filled all 4 holes to an oval so it would fit. no big deal, goes on super easy for oil change.

This is my 1st skid plate, so I had no idea what to expect with install. I'm glad to know it's not just me though.
This is also the most expensive farkle I've bought so far, so I guess I had high expectations of the brand name and price.

Nonetheless, you're right...it's not really a big deal...just a temporary pain in the rear. I'll file both front hole more next time I take it off to make it easier.

i have the DCT and had to put everything on loose, then tighten. After the initial install, it goes off and on easily.

Mine is a little funky too. I have the DC. The bolt on the rear chain side is always a little off. I need to file the hole a bit but I have been able to get it on with only a minor delay. Not a big deal Yours sounds like someone fell asleep when it was being drilled and/or inspected.

I have the DCT version and have not had any problems really. I did leave the bolts a bit loose until I installed it the first time, then tightens everything down.

I recently installed the same skid plate and had similar issue with it. The instructions do say to leave all of the mounting bolts loose, then tighten though. Once I went around and loosed everything I was able to get it to mate up, I think I bolted the bottom first and then could get the front bracket to mount up a little easier. My bike is also manual trans

Can't say I'm too impressed by the beef of the plate though, already have a decent sized dent in mine after it's first ride, right on the edge where it's supposedly at it's strongest. Not sure what I hit to be honest, didn't seem to bottom out that day but I guess anything is possible.

Last edited:
For a smaller machine it's easy to have a big thick skidplate of limited area that doesn't dent easily, and the weight penalty isn't too bad. But for a larger machine with typically larger coverage, that weight adds up. Tradeoffs. On the NC, the main reason I would want a skidplate is just to protect stuff, and I would expect pings and even dents on the skidplate.

I recently installed the same skid plate and had similar issue with it. The instructions do say to leave all of the mounting bolts loose, then tighten though. Once I went around and loosed everything I was able to get it to mate up, I think I bolted the bottom first and then could get the front bracket to mount up a little easier. My bike is also manual trans

Can't say I'm too impressed by the beef of the plate though, already have a decent sized dent in mine after it's first ride, right on the edge where it's supposedly at it's strongest. Not sure what I hit to be honest, didn't seem to bottom out that day but I guess anything is possible.

I'm gonna have to look more closely when I get home, but for some reason I had myself convinced that I couldn't reach all the bracket mounting bolts with the skid plate in place. Which is why I had the mounting brackets tightened down before installing the plate. I'm probably wrong...wouldn't be the first time or the last. :)

After reading about recurring fitment problems with SW-Motech crash bars and skid plates, I have to wonder why anyone would support this company that now has little to no QC. SW-SLOPPY will never see a penny of my money.

I think HondaBikePro's skid plate is the gold standard. It may cost a little more, but is, IMHO, the best especially for the dct models.

UPDATE: Once I got that skid plate in place, I was concerned that I'd have that much trouble every time I did any maintenance that required removing it. Well, a few weekends ago I did my 8K mile oil change and the skid plate went back on with almost no effort at all. I guess the metal reshaped a bit over time.

I think HondaBikePro's skid plate is the gold standard. It may cost a little more, but is, IMHO, the best especially for the dct models.
Even though my skid plate fits fine now, I wish I'd ponied up the bucks for th HondaBikePro skid plate. Not only does it offer the best protection, but I think it looks the best too. Oh well, too late now.

I previously had problems with an SW skid plate fitting to my former KTM 950SM. It was just troublesome to fit similarly to what You experienced so it is not just restricted to the NC. However I recently purchased a Buono skid plate for my CRF1000L and I had to make adjustments on it also using shims to take up some slack in fitment. With that bike there were no extra brackets. The plate mounted to the original frame brackets so there was no excuse. One brand that I always found to be excellent was B&B in Australia. Their products were robust and fitted well. Sadly their bashplate for my AT use was overkill so I passed on this occasion.

There are lots of good products out there but some are a little more problematic than others to fit.

I have the same setup as you - 700X manual - and installed the skid plate myself with no issues.

Try and reset the whole procedure, take out everything and go through the instructions provided as it seems unlikely for the problem to be in the skid plate itself.

Only small issue with mine was that center stand was touching the back of the skid plate when in standing position, just a few mm now it's fine.

Good luck!

Back