• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Swing a leg over your bike.....short in the leg Steve

When you and I looked at the adjustment we thought the last few turns on it would lower it. Actually that was the wrong way. By extending several more turns the bike gets lower. By shortening it the bike gets taller. So there was a LOT more adjustability to lower the bike than we thought. I’m going to have to cut more off the kickstand!!!

I’m just curious if at some adjustment setting, still within the Soupy’s adjustment range, will the rear tire hit the fender during a suspension compression?

So an update.

The bike did not bottom out the suspension when I rode it over railroad tracks, a seriously bumpy road, etc. The dealer was a bit concerned about scraping something in the corners, so I took some rural corners fairly aggressively (far more so than my wife rides) and didn't scrape anything.

She has not ridden it yet (rain yesterday afternoon and doing other things today) but she did throw her leg over it. She can not only "flat foot" it with both feet, she has some 'air' under her when she's standing with it. So it is LOW. Seriously LOW.

I'm wondering if we should raise it up a 1/2" just to increase suspension safety margin. But that decision will come after she actually rides it for couple weeks to see if she needs/wants it changed.

Bob
Glad to hear you have found some more lowering potential for Mrs_Bob,s bike!
I know a lot of people seem to like having their feet flat footed on both sides of the bike,
but for me just having the ‘balls’ of my foot on the ground would be fine!
As said before, I have always been tip toe on my bikes and have been ‘ok’.
Being able to pull the bike back on normal road surface with one foot (butt slipped over to one side)
also has not been a problem.
But now I would like to ride on some uneven dirt roads etc, I would just like to have that bit more contact on both sides.

So, back to Mrs_Bob lowering the bike ‘just enough’ to where she is comfortable as you say would be great.
As we said before, we are not riding at the race track and if lowing the bike within reason enables us to enjoy
The bike we choose, why not.
I hope this gives Mrs_Bob the extra comfort/confidence that she is looking for!

Not to criticize the Harley guys…..but I look at some of the clearance they have to the ground and am
amazed at the lack of lean angle possible on black top!

Just as a side note…..talking to sport, cruiser riders I am again amazed how keen most seem to be to ground
their bikes in slow corners….totally opposite to my way of thinking!
As Kenny Roberts once said “go fast in the fast corners and slow in the slow corners, you do not win races
In the slow corners” I know this is in racing environment but I believe still applies.

Bob, yes I would like to meet up again before the weather closes in…..will talk in private emails

All the best Guys Steve

FWIW, I am busy on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday of this coming week (Sept 16, 18 & 19) likely free on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday?

I'm also busy FOLLOWING Thursday + Saturday/Sunday (Sept 26, 28 & 29) but probably free on Friday Sept 27.

No clue what any other day looks like but those specific days are out. Can probably figure something out most other days. Look at your calendar and we can plan for something.

Bob,
The only day I am busy ( Sue has a hospital appointment) is this Thursday 19, otherwise totally open!
It’s not a problem meeting closer to you if this makes it better…..I like the drive.
Tue, tomorrow would be good but again depends on you and the weather.

Anyway, I will leave you to make the call…..when and where, and I will be there
I understand your schedule is a lot more active than mine and if we can meet again great if not,
also not a problem!
Again, hope the lowering works for Mrs_Bob and you guys have lots of good biking miles ahead!
Steve

Maybe Friday, Saturday or Sunday? I'll need to check with the boss.

We now have plans for tomorrow.

Maybe Valparaiso. It's not too much further from Michigan City, but its a cute town with a nice square in the center of town. Look it up let me know what you think about the distance from your home.

Valparaiso is a cute town with a thriving central square. Home to a modest size private university, the city is prospering as an educational center, as well as home to several businesses. The town square is full of unique shops, coffee shops, etc. Also home to some unique seasonal festivals.

Place looks interesting, distance not a problem…..let me know when is good for you
Steve

Sunday is going to be a washout as the residual rain from the most recent Gulf hurricane is moving our way and is predicted to cause flooding, overflowing rivers and generally soggy air.

One of my saber fencing students, who sometimes lives and travel with us, is returning to us from Boston for part of next week. We are taking her to Notre Dame as the athletic department is heavily recruiting her. We then go back to Notre Dame to retrieve her and bring her back home. So next week will be busy.

Monday is a maybe and weather forecast looks good. Friday is a maybe, no clue what weather is that far out.

FWIW, the lovely Mrs_Bob got her first real ride on the new extremely lowered NC700x today.

It might be too low?

She never bottomed it out, but she towers over the bike when she stands up at a stop.

We rode for about 90 minutes on all sorts of roads, over railroad tracks and bumpy roads, on a couple of suburban heavily trafficked highways, trafficked shopping areas, curvy rural roads, etc. So a good test, far better test that just running it up/down the street.

You guys have put a lot of work into that bike. Bet it’s really great to have one that dialed in for her!

You guys have put a lot of work into that bike. Bet it’s really great to have one that dialed in for her!

She is not an avid rider but she rides with me and tolerates it.

Probably going to lower her Madstad windscreen about 1" before we get out for another ride too. She is not sure about adjusting the lowering kit again or not. It is near CTX seat hight now.

For her sake (and so my best friend will ride with me) I do what I can to make sure she is comfortable on her bike. It's very close now. Just minor adjustments to what we already own and have installed. Except she'll probably be getting a Corbin seat one day too.

I've had my new 2020 bike for about a month now and have only ridden it for 5 miles from the store to home and then set about farkleing it, but parts have been slow to arrive in the current world pandemic and there were enough dependencies between the add-ons that it wasn't worth trying to make it rideable in between. Anyway, I've lowered it quite a bit with Soupy's adjustable lowering kit and installed their adjustable kickstand, then I "tightened up" the rear shock to reduce sag as the bike seemed really soft - especially on the side stand. Per my other post on this forum, the rear shock is a PITA to adjust, and I just ended up spinning it as much as I could before getting completely frustrated with it, so nothing scientific about either this or the height change of the Soupy's, and of course no testing of it yet either. So what's my question? Has anyone adjusted the front forks by sliding them up in the triple clamp to compensate for the rear end being lowered? I wrote to Soupy's and he said it's not required, but I did Moto Werk's lowering kit (which is non adjustable) for my late model Versys 650, and they were very specific about the height change on the front to keep the bike "level". I've also seen some posts about the LED headlight angle needing to be adjusted even from stock (can't remember which way though) so this reason just makes me wonder whether I should really lower the front end now while I'm still working on the bike (yes I know I should ride it and adjust it as needed, but I am looking for other riders opinions and experience first).
Thanks.

Back