• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

T boned at 30.

Because it is highly unlikely that the level of diligence required to assure it is restored to original condition is challenging for most shops. Actually nearly impossible with a 30MPH hit. Its suitability for you after the repair is irrelevant to the claims process (here). Yup. Same here. Insurance companies don't want to pay and is addressed through the consumer protections legislated by states and fed.
Yeah I understand what you are saying but from what the garage who have the vehicle have told me the only damage is to my pannier racks and the left engine bar so it does seem like my leg and the pannier rack/box took the brunt of the impact. Unfortunately I don't think the insurance comp will write it off for the sake of scratches to one engine bar and broken pannier racks as it is less than £900 worth of damage and the bike is valued at over £3k. Also bare in mind I'm estimating the speed I was hit at it could have been less but given how far away from the bike I was when I stopped rolling it makes sense to be at least 20-30mph I was hit at.

Well I'm sure they will have to thoroughly check the structure of the bike to make sure it is safe before they decide if it is a write off. Honestly I would prefer it to be if it isn't safe to ride but if by some miracle the bike is still safe then I will be happy to get it back. Later down the road if I need to change bikes I can always do so.

The Integra version of the NC has left hand rear brake so all of the parts you need are available from Honda or if you can find a wrecked Integra.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up in the right direction. I'm assuming it would just be a case of buying the rear brake lever/master cylinder and the brake line/abs cables and then installing them and routing the rear brake line appropriately. Sounds easy enough.

the problem with these police compound is that they charge you on a daily basis so sooner you get it the better.
my lad his car nicked..police found it and put in a compound went to collect 3 days later we faced a £120 bill.god knows what they charge now.
Wait, what? Your buddy's car was stolen and then the cops made him pay to get it back? Did he report it as stolen or did they just assume it was abandoned and without a police report made him pay? If he reported it as stolen, he essentially had it stolen twice then. Apologize for the language but that is f*cked.

OP, it is going to be totaled more than likely. Chances are the frame is bent and anyone who has ever tried to straighten a bent frame on a vehicle will tell you that getting a bent frame straightened correctly is about impossible. And even if you do get it close enough, they almost always end up bending again since the initial bending weakens the frame. It just isn't worth the effort, cost, or risk.

Well I'm sure they will have to thoroughly check the structure of the bike to make sure it is safe before they decide if it is a write off. Honestly I would prefer it to be if it isn't safe to ride but if by some miracle the bike is still safe then I will be happy to get it back. Later down the road if I need to change bikes I can always do so.
Unlikely. For example, a small displacement sportbike will often be written off from just damaged fairings. Plastic is expensive, apparently...
If the assessor comes by and quickly sees enough cosmetic damage to total the bike, why would they even bother with more investigation? Remember the assessor's job is to save the insurance company money, not to see if the bike is safe or not. No point in paying for more investigation once they decide it's a lost cause (cost-wise).
Assume the bike is worth $5000, if he finds more than $5000 damage, the bike is totaled, even if all it would need is a new radiator, muffler, and some fairings.
This is also why it's a bad idea to try and convince your insurer the vehicle is worth less than actual to try and get a better rate. If you convince them the bike is only worth $1000, that's the most they'll pay out.

Unlikely. For example, a small displacement sportbike will often be written off from just damaged fairings. Plastic is expensive, apparently...
).
Assume the bike is worth $5000, if he finds more than $5000 damage, the bike is totaled, even if all it would need is a new radiator, muffler, and some fairings.
Just to conversation: it may not dollar damage for dollar of actual value.

Total loss calculations vary by location ( state/country laws) Some use a total loss threshold, which can vary between 50% and 100%. Many use the total loss threshold of 70% of actual value.

Just to conversation: it may not dollar damage for dollar of actual value.

Total loss calculations vary by location ( state/country laws) Some use a total loss threshold, which can vary between 50% and 100%. Many use the total loss threshold of 70% of actual value.
Thanks for the extra info, I wasn't aware of the % factor. Even easier to total a bike for some cosmetic damage!

Good you made it thru the accident. Heal up.
Honda used to have a brake handlebar kit for the CTX.
Your better off if its totaled, can't tell about hidden damage.
Safety gear is no guarantee about injuries but it should reduce the severity.
Take care.

I bought back my totaled bike in 06 For $350 and fixed it myself. Pocketed about $1500. Traded bike and 1500 for a better bike.

Hey all sorry for the long wait before I replied.

So the bike is basically fine. No damage to the frame or forks. The pannier racks and engine bars took the brunt of the impact.

Me not so much. I ended up having a below knee amputation of my right leg as the bone was dead and infected. That's another story though.

Anyway got most of the work done to my NC now. I will list all the repairs I've had to do as the damage was slightly more extensive than I was lead to believe and it's taken me a while to do it as its been a hell of a long recovery.

So for the parts I had to replace due to damage.

1: Rear light assembly.
2: Pillion Grab Handles.
3: Pannier racks and Panniers
4. Luggage rack and top box.
5: Handlebars.
6: Exhaust System.
7: Rear camera mount.
8: Front wind deflectors.

That's everything that's been replaced due to damage.

I've also done some mods that are necessary due to my amputation and some just to make the bike nicer and function better. I will list all the mods below.

1: Denali Sound Bomb.
2: Pyramid Fender Extender.
3: Pyramid Rear Hugger.
4: R&G radiator guard.
5: Hand guards.
6: 40mm lowered footpegs.
7: Racetorx Thumb Brake and Racetorx Teardrop valve connected to the rear master cylinder with a resevoir mounted at the bars replacing the standard Rear res. The Teardrop valve connects to where the standard resevoir mounts to the rear master cylinder and allows both the thumb brake and brake pedal to use the rear brake.
8: Brembo banjo brake light switch. This allows both the thumb brake and brake lever to trigger the brake light. And saves having to run a brake light switch from the bars to the brake light. Also makes a nice tidy install in my opinion and removes the standard brake switch on the brake pedal.
9: Various other cosmetic touches.

I still need to get the tyres replaced and replace the front wind deflector. I did order another screen from Puig but it doesn't fit. Appears they sent me the wrong one as I definitely ordered one for a 2012 NC700X. But its definitely coming along. After the tyres are sorted I will need to change the rear suspension to jack it up slightly and also need to have the seat changed. These will have to wait for now as out of cash until I get my next insurance/interim payment for my injury. I will add pics over the weekend showing all the work done.

Hey all sorry for the long wait before I replied.

So the bike is basically fine. No damage to the frame or forks. The pannier racks and engine bars took the brunt of the impact.

Me not so much. I ended up having a below knee amputation of my right leg as the bone was dead and infected. That's another story though.

Anyway got most of the work done to my NC now. I will list all the repairs I've had to do as the damage was slightly more extensive than I was lead to believe and it's taken me a while to do it as its been a hell of a long recovery.

So for the parts I had to replace due to damage.

1: Rear light assembly.
2: Pillion Grab Handles.
3: Pannier racks and Panniers
4. Luggage rack and top box.
5: Handlebars.
6: Exhaust System.
7: Rear camera mount.
8: Front wind deflectors.

That's everything that's been replaced due to damage.

I've also done some mods that are necessary due to my amputation and some just to make the bike nicer and function better. I will list all the mods below.

1: Denali Sound Bomb.
2: Pyramid Fender Extender.
3: Pyramid Rear Hugger.
4: R&G radiator guard.
5: Hand guards.
6: 40mm lowered footpegs.
7: Racetorx Thumb Brake and Racetorx Teardrop valve connected to the rear master cylinder with a resevoir mounted at the bars replacing the standard Rear res. The Teardrop valve connects to where the standard resevoir mounts to the rear master cylinder and allows both the thumb brake and brake pedal to use the rear brake.
8: Brembo banjo brake light switch. This allows both the thumb brake and brake lever to trigger the brake light. And saves having to run a brake light switch from the bars to the brake light. Also makes a nice tidy install in my opinion and removes the standard brake switch on the brake pedal.
9: Various other cosmetic touches.

I still need to get the tyres replaced and replace the front wind deflector. I did order another screen from Puig but it doesn't fit. Appears they sent me the wrong one as I definitely ordered one for a 2012 NC700X. But its definitely coming along. After the tyres are sorted I will need to change the rear suspension to jack it up slightly and also need to have the seat changed. These will have to wait for now as out of cash until I get my next insurance/interim payment for my injury. I will add pics over the weekend showing all the work done.
Very happy to read that it seems your spirits are high and you are looking forward to getting back on the road. There is another contributor here who is an amputee. I cannot recall his name. Perhaps he could be a good support person if you have any challenges.

Very happy to read that it seems your spirits are high and you are looking forward to getting back on the road. There is another contributor here who is an amputee. I cannot recall his name. Perhaps he could be a good support person if you have any challenges.
TacomaJD but I have not seen him in some time.

If I lost my right leg below the knee I would hope I would face my future the same way you are. Good luck with the bike and keep riding.
Thank you. For me its not just about personal enjoyment. I was training as a motorcycle instructor before my injury and I want to return to it. Even more so in light of my injury to promote riding safely and with appropriate gear. As bad as my injury was it was the only part of me injured due to wearing proper gear from head to toe and if I can use my negative experience to teach people to wear ATGATT and ride safely always then that's a good thing.

Thanks. Yeah more so now I'm getting closer to getting back on the bike. I had a setback last year as broke my leg a 2nd time just as I was recovering and that lead to the discovery about the bone in my leg being dead and infected. But I will get there no matter what. Even if I have to change the bike even more drastically so I can ride it safely and comfortably lol.

Not sure what to say Razac... your attitude is beyond admirable. So sorry to hear about your leg, and I do indeed hope that you are able to ride again one day. Please keep us informed

Back