• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tail bag

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I cant use a tank bag on the 2021 NC 750x I guess I'll add a tail pack. Thinking about the Nelson Rigg Commuter Lite which straps directly on the piliion seat. Figure best solution for local rides and getting gas.

Anybody using one, or what else are you using? Not going with luggage rack, or trunk or saddlebags, just looking to carry some stuff for local rides that I dont want to store in the frunk.

I use a Firstgear torrent dry bag, I think it's like 70L

It's a bit more useful than the OEM trunk tbqh. It also came with the requisite straps. I'm not sure how it would work on the stock grab-handles as it's a bit floopy without support. Should work decently enough though

as far as I can tell, no way to mount it

SlBaKG2h.jpg

Central to the practicality of the NC is the frunk. For me it serves in place of a tank bag.
That makes sense, but I'm just so used to having a tank bag, I can't wrap my head around not having a bag I can get into without unlocking a frunk lol

You will want to make a key with a knob to leave in the lock so you don’t have to pull the ignition key out to get in “the tank bag”.View attachment 45294
Adding to what dduelin said, here is a thread about the dedicated frunk key knob.

To me, the slotted rails on the frunk lid of the 2016 models was a smart innovation. I don’t understand why Honda dropped that feature. The dedicated bag that was made for it in the aftermarket worked great.

A small tank bag really does come in handy on a trip. Even with the frunk.

Adding to what dduelin said, here is a thread about the dedicated frunk key knob.

Yes that is already in the plans, thanks. Like dduelin I also made them for my ST 1300 and will make one for this bike.

As you can see I often run both a tank bag and a tail bag. The tail bag is used for a sweatshirt or a box of Popeye's spicy fried chicken to eat by the lake and a bottle of water (on this day) lol
the tank bag holds a ball cap, side stand plate, shield rags and spritzer of water, hand sanitizer etc which will go in the frunk on the NC

eJoRUfuh.jpg

Last edited:
That makes sense, but I'm just so used to having a tank bag, I can't wrap my head around not having a bag I can get into without unlocking a frunk lol
I just always ride with the frunk unlocked. I open it to get things all the time while riding or at a light. Even overstuffed with 2 inch gap the lid won't fly up on the highway. I have never once had the lid fly up while riding for eight years and it is always open. If starts raining I will press it closed but even open rain doesnt really get in.

I do have a tail bag I don't end up using very often though. It is a SW-Motech bag that attaches to the luggage rack.

As for tank and tail bags (and covers, for that matter), I have had far better durability (longevity) from Dowco items than other brands, including NelsonRigg. I’d probably choose first on features, of course. Too, I live in southern AZ, and most of my miles are here. The sun is more a factor here than in most parts of the country.

I just always ride with the frunk unlocked. I open it to get things all the time while riding or at a light. Even overstuffed with 2 inch gap the lid won't fly up on the highway. I have never once had the lid fly up while riding for eight years and it is always open.

Never say never. I’ve had it happen twice. The first time startled me and I hit the kill switch on the bike somehow. Thankfully no one was behind me and there was a road to coast and pull off to. The second time was right after passing someone. Needless to say, I’m more aware about closing at higher speeds now.

I just always ride with the frunk unlocked. I open it to get things all the time while riding or at a light. Even overstuffed with 2 inch gap the lid won't fly up on the highway. I have never once had the lid fly up while riding for eight years and it is always open. If starts raining I will press it closed but even open rain doesnt really get in.

I do have a tail bag I don't end up using very often though. It is a SW-Motech bag that attaches to the luggage rack.
As a rule my frunk is always latched. One of the few times I forgot to latch it, while on the highway it blew open and a hat flew out and went whizzing by. Had to flag down the rest of my group to stop, then turn around on the highway and retrieve the hat.

As a rule my frunk is always latched. One of the few times I forgot to latch it, while on the highway it blew open and a hat flew out and went whizzing by. Had to flag down the rest of my group to stop, then turn around on the highway and retrieve the hat.
Fair enough. I suspect it probably has to do with windshield aerodynamics. My setup no wind really goes over the funk lid. Even when I've gone 90+ for hours in the midwest no movement. I also overstuff mine all the time and ride with it a several-inch gap.

In fact I have been unable to lock mine for over a year. So I leave it unlocked on the street and parking lot all the time. If I leave it outside and its going to rain I will wack the side and force it to latch but I dont like doing that.

I ordered one, going to use it where the Dale's rack was.
I had tried Nelson Rigg's largest Commuter Touring bag, but it was too big to sit on the pillion seat.
The Commuter Lite should be the perfect size.
Awesome post up a pic when you get it mounted along with any tips. Look forward to your report.

Back