• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tank bag

skills4lou

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In the 'what did you do today' thread Ferret posted his GPS and it got me to thinking. I still have a nice FOX tank bag from way back when I was riding an Interceptor. It's got 3 straps for mounting, and holds a nice amount of gear/lunch etc. It also has a clear flap on the top so you can put that style GPS inside and keep it dry while still being able to see the route. I'm thinking if I can find a way to mount the straps that might be a really easy way to add some storage when needed, and just leave the bag off when not. Now...where did I store that thing?...

I think Givi made a tank bag for pre 2021 models that had slots in the rails on top of the frunk.

I've used tank bags/ clear map cases on every bike I have owned since 1977. Was weird buying a bike I couldnt use a tank bag on.

In the 'what did you do today' thread Ferret posted his GPS and it got me to thinking. I still have a nice FOX tank bag from way back when I was riding an Interceptor. It's got 3 straps for mounting, and holds a nice amount of gear/lunch etc. It also has a clear flap on the top so you can put that style GPS inside and keep it dry while still being able to see the route. I'm thinking if I can find a way to mount the straps that might be a really easy way to add some storage when needed, and just leave the bag off when not. Now...where did I store that thing?...
I have the Givi tank bag on my 18 and it has the clear pocket, which I learned was called a "map pocket" here on the forum. I had the same idea but using my phone as the GPS placed into pocket. I think it was @dduelin who told me that phones tend to overheat when placed there, and mine did. Not sure if this needs to be a concern with a GPS device or not.

A few pics of the bag install as well as rear rack/panniers:

Hmm..must be having some issues, I can't upload pics. Will try again later...

Old post but…. I have a Wolfman tank bag that is like an old friend, it has probably 400,000 miles on several bikes and it has the clear map case on it. Something about that plastic cover causes my phone or Garmin GPS to have a high temperature alert within a few minutes on a sunny day. Never been able to use it for anything.

I think Givi made a tank bag for pre 2021 models that had slots in the rails on top of the frunk.

I've used tank bags/ clear map cases on every bike I have owned since 1977. Was weird buying a bike I couldnt use a tank bag on.
Bought a used '19 last spring with Givi bag attached. Straps feed through the rails and works like a champ!

I wish mine had the rails like yours, from 21 on (I suppose) doesn’t have the same little slots in the rails. I have always been a fan of tank bags as previously mentioned, but I like the frunk and tank bag on the back rack as well. Maybe I don’t need 3 flashlights, a half a pound of jerky, 31 ear plugs (some used), stale cookies, spare gloves, enough charging cords to rewire the bike. And while I am on that topic, who is giggling that we need 4 different charging cords to keep all my trinkets charged! iPhone, camera, helmet headset, battery pack, flashlight, get the point? I use my bikes for motocamping so more minor clutter means more comfort in my hammock at night.

I wish mine had the rails like yours, from 21 on (I suppose) doesn’t have the same little slots in the rails. I have always been a fan of tank bags as previously mentioned, but I like the frunk and tank bag on the back rack as well. Maybe I don’t need 3 flashlights, a half a pound of jerky, 31 ear plugs (some used), stale cookies, spare gloves, enough charging cords to rewire the bike. And while I am on that topic, who is giggling that we need 4 different charging cords to keep all my trinkets charged! iPhone, camera, helmet headset, battery pack, flashlight, get the point? I use my bikes for motocamping so more minor clutter means more comfort in my hammock at night.
If for no other reason, we need to find a solution for stale cookie storage.

Just look on Amazon for Kayak loops---little U shaped plastic loops with 2 holes--usually come with a bunch of little stainless sheet metal screws--drilled and screwed a row of these things to the top edges of the frunk lid---used tarp bungees (with the little plastic ball)to attach my formerly magnetic tank bag--which has been on several different bikes over the years--I may have posted pics of this a year or so ago on a similar thread--I can still open the frunk with the bag in place --it is very secure. If the bag was removed the rows of loops look like they belong there

Coincidence I just put my 40 year old Eclipse tank bag on my NC that I have used for years. It has the classic three point mounting and a clear map pocket.

Just look on Amazon for Kayak loops---little U shaped plastic loops with 2 holes--usually come with a bunch of little stainless sheet metal screws--drilled and screwed a row of these things to the top edges of the frunk lid---used tarp bungees (with the little plastic ball)to attach my formerly magnetic tank bag--which has been on several different bikes over the years--I may have posted pics of this a year or so ago on a similar thread--I can still open the frunk with the bag in place --it is very secure. If the bag was removed the rows of loops look like they belong there
Much of the world refers to these as "footman loops". The shape of a footman's loop fits flat webbing better than a U shape but both work for the purpose.

ah6411gni.6_1.jpg

Coincidence I just put my 40 year old Eclipse tank bag on my NC that I have used for years. It has the classic three point mounting and a clear map pocket.
Man I used to use Eclipse tank bags back in the mid 70's.(still married to the girl too lol)

EjIIHVXh.jpg

Back