• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tennessee

ziggie

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question for the folks who live in Tenn or area.we have been looking at houses in the Dayton,Cleveland area.are these a nice area ? What are schools like and the winters?from Google maps Dayton looks to be in the hills where we are looking which is fine with me.I have vacation at the end of month and was wondering what to expect if we go and look.I have been to Gatlinburg, and Smokey's but never further.any help and or advice is welcome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have a question for the folks who live in Tenn or area.we have been looking at houses in the Dayton,Cleveland area.are these a nice area ? What are schools like and the winters?from Google maps Dayton looks to be in the hills where we are looking which is fine with me.I have vacation at the end of month and was wondering what to expect if we go and look.I have been to Gatlinburg, and Smokey's but never further.any help and or advice is welcome.

I live just north of Chattanooga. The winters are mild, daytime temps typically in the mid 40s, lows at night in the 20s. Winter actually means rain more than snow, so it does get a bit dreary. I've lived here 12 years and we hit sub 0 two days I think. It snows every other year, usually 2-4 inches max. There is a once/decade storm with 6+ inches. Schools close at the forecast of snow.

Water sports are excellent, as the TN river runs through the state and dams make lakes everywhere. The summers get hot, we've been 90s and humid for a couple of weeks now. You can ride year round, I've had 70 degrees on New Years Day before, so there isn't that 'put the bike away' problem, more of a 'don't ride when my hands will freeze' weeks.

Dayton is more isolated/rural, it will take you 40 minutes to get anywhere besides the small town. I like it up there though. Cleveland is close to downtown Chattanooga (40 min) and Knoxville (<1.5 hours). Good place to raise kids and people are generally friendly. A little too many people smoke, but other than that the region is growing and health/family are important issues.

Hope that helps.

I grew up in East Tennessee. The Tennessee Valley is one of the most beautiful places around. A bonus is no state income tax. I may retire there.

Back