• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tent Camping on Motorcycle

I have the No Limits Kings Peak II tent. Academy - No Limits™ Kings Peak II Technical Tent. I'm 6'1 and have plenty of room for me and some gear plus it has 2 small vestibules for more gear. I also have the matching footprint. It is light and packs small. Easy to setup. Only down side is it isn't free standing so I have to camp where I can get stakes in the ground. Also bought better stakes. I use a Therm-A-Rest long self-inflating mattress. Light but a bit bulky. Sleeping bag, I ran across a long down mummy bag at WalMart that compresses to half a football size. Down packs smaller than synthetic but you don’t want to let it get wet. I store it in a small dry bag. For seating I currently have a small tripod stool. It works but will eventually upgrade to a camp chair. Being new to bike camping I've tried to keep my costs low until I see what works for me.

bamamate - the tent looks perfect and the price is right. I am 6', so if it fits you, will fit me. I looked at the packed size, and 16" is the smallest I have seen. How long are the pole sections? I dont have any rack mounted on the bike yet, so I will be tying down all the stuff to and under the passenger handles. As for my clothes and such, I picked up the medium Bilt Explorer Dry Bag. It has straps and tie down cords and, all in all a nice workable bag.

I have the No Limits Kings Peak II tent. Academy - No Limits™ Kings Peak II Technical Tent. I'm 6'1 and have plenty of room for me and some gear plus it has 2 small vestibules for more gear. I also have the matching footprint. It is light and packs small. Easy to setup. Only down side is it isn't free standing so I have to camp where I can get stakes in the ground. Also bought better stakes. I use a Therm-A-Rest long self-inflating mattress. Light but a bit bulky. Sleeping bag, I ran across a long down mummy bag at WalMart that compresses to half a football size. Down packs smaller than synthetic but you don’t want to let it get wet. I store it in a small dry bag. For seating I currently have a small tripod stool. It works but will eventually upgrade to a camp chair. Being new to bike camping I've tried to keep my costs low until I see what works for me.

By accident I also found and purchased that down sleeping bag at Walmart, but have not seen one there but that one time.

Sure is nice to see Bamamate returning to the forum, after his week of Chronic fatigue syndrome. Chronic fatique syndrom is a complicated disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that can't be explained by any underlying medical condition. Current cause is lost of an Alabama Football game with Ohio State.

At a Horizons Unlimited meeting a few years ago in North Carolina, Fuzzy, showed me where to go to get quality camping gear at a good price?

REI carries what I call high dollar camping gear, and like L.B.S., I will not pay that kind of "price" for the super lite hiking gear. However, Fuzzy showed me that you can buy the high quality REI camping hiking gear at REI clearance pricings. After Christmas is a great time to purchase from REI clearance.

http://www.rei.com/s/deals#c3JwYWdlPTEmcXVlcnk9aXIlM0Rjb2xsZWN0aW9uJTI1M0FkZWFscyUyNnIlM0RiZXN0LXVzZSUyNTNBQ2FtcGluZyUyNTNCY2F0ZWdvcnklMjUzQWNhbXBpbmctYW5kLWhpa2luZyUyNmNvbGxlY3Rpb24lM0RkZWFscyUyNnN4JTNEaHdsUXMxWVBkcHdBVUtxcGVuQzNWQSUyNTNEJTI1M0Qmc3JzaXplPTkw

Also, the REI clearance store: REI-OUTLET: Deals, Discounts & Bargains on Outdoor Gear, Clothing and Equipment for Camping, Cycling, Fitness and More

+1 on REI. I got all of my backpacking travel gear for my last trip to S.E. Asia from them. Kept checking over the course of a few weeks and got everything I was looking for at 50-75% off (in odd colors or discontinued styles).

At a Horizons Unlimited meeting a few years ago in North Carolina, Fuzzy, showed me where to go to get quality camping gear at a good price?

REI carries what I call high dollar camping gear, and like L.B.S., I will not pay that kind of "price" for the super lite hiking gear. However, Fuzzy showed me that you can buy the high quality REI camping hiking gear at REI clearance pricings. After Christmas is a great time to purchase from REI clearance.

http://www.rei.com/s/deals#c3JwYWdlPTEmcXVlcnk9aXIlM0Rjb2xsZWN0aW9uJTI1M0FkZWFscyUyNnIlM0RiZXN0LXVzZSUyNTNBQ2FtcGluZyUyNTNCY2F0ZWdvcnklMjUzQWNhbXBpbmctYW5kLWhpa2luZyUyNmNvbGxlY3Rpb24lM0RkZWFscyUyNnN4JTNEaHdsUXMxWVBkcHdBVUtxcGVuQzNWQSUyNTNEJTI1M0Qmc3JzaXplPTkw

Also, the REI clearance store: REI-OUTLET: Deals, Discounts & Bargains on Outdoor Gear, Clothing and Equipment for Camping, Cycling, Fitness and More
The very best deals at REI are their scratch and dent sales. Bought a GoPro for $25.00. My $300 tent was $50.44

For more ideas I follow a thread on the adv fourm,they show what they use and how it all goes on the bike,a lot of good ideas.

bamamate - the tent looks perfect and the price is right. I am 6', so if it fits you, will fit me. I looked at the packed size, and 16" is the smallest I have seen. How long are the pole sections? I dont have any rack mounted on the bike yet, so I will be tying down all the stuff to and under the passenger handles. As for my clothes and such, I picked up the medium Bilt Explorer Dry Bag. It has straps and tie down cords and, all in all a nice workable bag.

Pole sections are ~10" and shock corded. They roll up with the tent and fit in the bag.

Another useful item is extra dry bags. Walmart has a set of 3 for $10-15. They are thin so not something to strap to the bike but are useful for putting wet stuff in and then putting into your good large dry bag or other luggage so you don't get everything wet. If I need to pack the rain fly while wet, I put into one of those bags so the whole tent doesn't wind up being wet.

By accident I also found and purchased that down sleeping bag at Walmart, but have not seen one there but that one time.

Sure is nice to see Bamamate returning to the forum, after his week of Chronic fatigue syndrome. Chronic fatique syndrom is a complicated disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that can't be explained by any underlying medical condition. Current cause is lost of an Alabama Football game with Ohio State.

same with me. I've only seen it that one time and have been glad I got it. Wish it had a foot vent but for the size and price it is hard to beat.

We won't talk about that other subject you just had to mention...........

I bought the Ledge Scorpion 2 man backpacking tent and used it for 12 motorcycle camping nights last season and I'm quite happy with it. Comes with stuff sack. Uses aluminum short section poles. Packs down to about 14"x7". Rain fly adds a bit of a vestibule on both sides. Has doors on both sides. 2 man size is good for 1 man plus motorcycle gear. Free standing. $90 US.
image.jpg
Ledge Sports Scorpion 2 Backpacking Tent 3 Season Ultra Light Tent Aluminum | eBay

The Ledge products seemed reasonably priced for the quality so I bought the 0 degree F Featherlite sleeping bag, too, but I have not used it yet. $50 US.
image.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ledge-Sport...462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4a3cf98e

Last edited:
The very best deals at REI are their scratch and dent sales. Bought a GoPro for $25.00. My $300 tent was $50.44

Some of the stuff isn't even scratched and dented... just returned. I got my tent for 75% off... the reason for return was "too heavy". It was clear that it had never been setup. Sweet deal :)

If you really want to try out your new camping gear come to Horizon Unlimited meet up at Appomattox, Va. on April 9 -12 of 2015. More than likely, you will see a few NC700's and get to meet some outstanding owners of NC700.

Horizons Unlimited Travellers Meeting Virginia 2015 | Horizons Unlimited

At one of the Horizon Unlimited meet ups in North Carolina a few years back, I had a dislocated shoulder from an Alaska trip, was in pain, and in my pickup. It took all I could muster just to carry myself, much less my camping gear. Here I meet Netizen for the first time after I had registered. He went to my pickup and got my camping gear bag. He set everything up for me. Only when camping on motorcycle will you ever meet a fellow as nice as Netizen.

You will get to meet the nicest people on a Honda NC700 at the Horizon Unlimited conventions.

Last year I also got to meet some more wonderful NC700 folks at the Horizon Unlimited meet up in California. Heck I even got to meet a wonderful two month old future rider. If you want to meet some truly great adventure motorcyclist be at a Horizon Unlimited convention. The folks here know their stuff....

Last edited:
OK, you are starting to sell me on this. If I go to the Virginia Horizons Unlimited, where do I camp? Right there on site?

700 miles each way for me.

489 for me, but that is really soon for me to ride that long solo. Maybe if I can find someone to run with. Shows it being 8 hours and 1 minute (based on google maps.) But, it is a straight down I64 with 1 hour 30 mins on US-60.

489 for me, but that is really soon for me to ride that long solo. Maybe if I can find someone to run with. Shows it being 8 hours and 1 minute (based on google maps.) But, it is a straight down I64 with 1 hour 30 mins on US-60.

Better see how well you get along with that stock seat before you plan 489 miles. ;)

I could definitely see me meeting up with some Kentucky riders and running as a group the rest of the way.

Better see how well you get along with that stock seat before you plan 489 miles. ;)

I could definitely see me meeting up with some Kentucky riders and running as a group the rest of the way.

As could I.

Have to agree I doubt I could do 500 miles on the stock seat.

Back