• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tent Camping on Motorcycle

I've always been fascinated by tarps, but I seem to suck at proper quick deployment and clever knot tying, though lol :eek:

There never seems to be enough time in my life to get the hang of repetitive set up and breakdown in varied types of situations to get good at it. Always ends up being "not the right time" to devote to the task at hand. When I need or would like a tarp set up the most, I'm in too much of a hurry to remember best ways to configure one, or remember how to tie the best kind of knot for that application, etc. When I don't need a tarp, I turn lazy and either don't bring one, or am too distracted to dig it out from being crammed in the bottom of a bag and practice.

I think I'd like to configure a few lengths of paracord into predetermined guy-line/stake kits, and same with maybe a ridgeline. Have some small sections of cord with prusik's already in place, so I don't have to redo new ones every time, and carabiner clips attached, for quick hook up to the tarp grommets.

My paracord or twine/rope always ends up being an evil unholy ball of tangled knotted mess that I despair to unravel and hope to use quickly when it's dark and raining out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
was gonna try and explain it in text, but video works better. Pretty much in a "gotta have shelter now" situation, using the bike as part of a lean-to will work. Also, the guy who did the vid has an NC700 (traded in a Shadow for it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHdAcF49r4I

Great video, nice to see it can be so quick and uncomplicated! Thanks for finding that :)

was gonna try and explain it in text, but video works better. Pretty much in a "gotta have shelter now" situation, using the bike as part of a lean-to will work. Also, the guy who did the vid has an NC700 (traded in a Shadow for it).

I like the idea, but it makes me a little nervous. What happens when the wind and rain pick up? It seems to me the kickstand would tend to sink as the ground gets wet and the tarp would act as a sail in the wind. It just seems to me that there's a decent chance the NC would end up on top of you if you're hanging out right next to it like that...at least that's what would be going through my mind as I was trying to get to sleep.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?

I carry a foot for my kickstand. Just in case. I look at this as a temporary solution, personally.

I have a tent anyway, which would take the same amount of time to get set as it would be for me to tie a tarp to the bike. It all depends on what people want to do while camping.

I like the idea, but it makes me a little nervous. What happens when the wind and rain pick up? It seems to me the kickstand would tend to sink as the ground gets wet and the tarp would act as a sail in the wind. It just seems to me that there's a decent chance the NC would end up on top of you if you're hanging out right next to it like that...at least that's what would be going through my mind as I was trying to get to sleep.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?

I wouldn't do it as a sleeping overnight kinda thing, myself- just a quick rest stop or a temp shelter while you are doing other tasks.

I have a tent anyway, which would take the same amount of time to get set as it would be for me to tie a tarp to the bike. It all depends on what people want to do while camping.

I believe I can put up my tent, with the rain fly as quick as I could put up the tarp. Throw the camping bag into the tent, and be real comfortable

I believe I can put up my tent, with the rain fly as quick as I could put up the tarp. Throw the camping bag into the tent, and be real comfortable

With nothing else to do, I have been practicing with the new tent. I have it down, with tie downs, to 5 and a half minutes. now, to start doing it with nothing but a flashlight.

With nothing else to do, I have been practicing with the new tent. I have it down, with tie downs, to 5 and a half minutes. now, to start doing it with nothing but a flashlight.

Get one of the strap-on-your-head flashlights. Easy peasy!

Setting up with an NC is nice but sure would have been easier tied to trees in background.

Re: paracord. I wouldn't use it as tarp tie outs. It does stretch, especially when wet. I discovered that on last years trip with my new Kelty Noah's Tarp. I woke up with a saggy tarp after one rainy night.
I upgraded to "Zing-it" which is a high-strength hollow-braided line. It is much smaller, lighter, and stronger than paracord, and doesn't tangle as badly.

With a continuous ridgline and guy lines, setup takes a couple minutes.

After many years of camping, each and every year the same air mattress gets picked as the best. I believe the first year this air mattress was produced was 2009. However, I have also refused to pay that kind of money for an air mattress. The only complaint I have ever heard on this air mattress is that it is a bit noisy. For 2015 the company that produces this air mattress has changed the coating on the mattress, and got rid of the noise. For 2015 you can also buy this mattress in a full large size and not just in the mummy size.

So, the company found this sucker (me) to pay for and try out this outrageously priced air mattress. Yes, I finally gave in and bought the 2015 model because it comes in fat boy size and is quite. Being a new style, it was very hard finding in the fat boy size air mattress, and no one comes off a single cent for this air mattress.

This now flat broke fat boy's new air mattress is the therm-a-rest neoair xtherm max sleeping pad. Should be here on Monday. So, I will post a thread on how it works after the Daytona Trip.

Sleeping pad.jpg

Last edited:
Will do, thanks.
BTW- I may head up there on Thursday. Gotta see how my schedule is but I think I want a four day weekend.

After many years of camping, each and every year the same air mattress gets picked as the best. I believe the first year this air mattress was produced was 2009. However, I have also refused to pay that kind of money for an air mattress. The only complaint I have ever heard on this air mattress is that it is a bit noisy. For 2015 the company that produces this air mattress has changed the coating on the mattress, and got rid of the noise. For 2015 you can also buy this mattress in a full large size and not just in the mummy size.

So, the company found this sucker (me) to pay for and try out this outrageously priced air mattress. Yes, I finally gave in and bought the 2015 model because it comes in fat boy size and is quite. Being a new style, it was very hard finding in the fat boy size air mattress, and no one comes off a single cent for this air mattress.

This now flat broke fat boy's new air mattress is the therm-a-rest neoair xtherm max sleeping pad. Should be here on Monday. So, I will post a thread on how it works after the Daytona Trip.

View attachment 22981

Looking forward to your review since I am in the market. I'm leaning towards the Exped SynCell 5.

[video=youtube;bkHCrfC8nQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkHCrfC8nQc[/video]

For 2015 you can now get the large size that is rectangle , 25 inches wide, and is no longer noisy.

[video=youtube;RuVEwnvfp9g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuVEwnvfp9g[/video]

For 2015 you can now get the large size that is rectangle , 25 inches wide, and is no longer noisy.

[video=youtube;RuVEwnvfp9g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuVEwnvfp9g[/video]

Someone on another forum said that the Synmat 7 fit their sleeprite cot perfectly, I asked him how since the cot is 30 inches wide, and the pad is 26 inches wide, and he said easy since the cot is just under 30 inches wide, and the pad is really 28 inches wide. I went to REI and measured the cot, and sure enough the long wide model was 28 inches wide. I have wide shoulders, and 25 inches might not work so good with me. It is not one of their thickest pads, but since it will be used on a cot, it should not matter. How do you plan to inflate your pad? since I have read that inflating a pad by mouth is not recommended, it puts moisture in the pad.

Someone on another forum said that the Synmat 7 fit their sleeprite cot perfectly, I asked him how since the cot is 30 inches wide, and the pad is 26 inches wide, and he said easy since the cot is just under 30 inches wide, and the pad is really 28 inches wide. I went to REI and measured the cot, and sure enough the long wide model was 28 inches wide. I have wide shoulders, and 25 inches might not work so good with me. It is not one of their thickest pads, but since it will be used on a cot, it should not matter. How do you plan to inflate your pad? since I have read that inflating a pad by mouth is not recommended, it puts moisture in the pad.

The stuff sack is also your pump. All comes with the unit.

[video=youtube;04JgCJPeNCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04JgCJPeNCc[/video]

Back