• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Test Ride?

carter

Reaction score
Visit site
I am wondering if there is anyone in the Boston are with an NC that would let me do a short test ride. I am very interested in buying one but would feel even better knowing what one feels like.

I am in Melrose, MA. Nothing long, just some street and a short hop on the highway. I am fully insured. So if there is anyone out there willing to accommodate let me know.

Perhaps going to a Honda Dealership would serve your interests. My Dealership is very willing in this area of Customer Service and Sales.

The only way that any dealership in this area that I have found is to fill out all of the paperwork as if one is buying the bike. Along with writing them a check. They don't have any demo bikes to try out. That has been my experience in the Boston area.

Bettencourt's Honda/Suzuki in West Bridgewater is very generous with test rides. The day after I passed my test last year, I test drove the NC700X, a VStrom, a CTX, and a 650 Versys. I was sold on the NC but found a used one elsewhere. They are also good, honest people with a great reputation. If I had the funds for a new bike I would buy one there. I'm thinking of going back to check out the CB650F.

Bettencourt's Honda/Suzuki in West Bridgewater is very generous with test rides. The day after I passed my test last year, I test drove the NC700X, a VStrom, a CTX, and a 650 Versys. I was sold on the NC but found a used one elsewhere. They are also good, honest people with a great reputation. If I had the funds for a new bike I would buy one there. I'm thinking of going back to check out the CB650F.

I did check with them and they do not have any new or used NCs. Thank you anyway.

Last edited:
If you wait until June, mosey on over to Americade. You can test ride almost anything.

On another point, in my fifty one years of riding it has always been considered a major faux pas to ask to ride someone's bike.

in my fifty one years of riding it has always been considered a major faux pas to ask to ride someone's bike.

The polite way is to wait for the other rider to propose, but it may not happen. It is always easier when there is some kind of bike exchange, you want to try his and he wants to try yours. And keeping in mind that shit can happen, so if you absolutely can't stand someone dropping your bike, don't get into that. A good friend dropped mine and still feels bad about it, I don't care much but find it funny to remind him from time to time ;)

So getting to try a bike without asking, from people that don't know you and with nothing to trade is going to be touchy. Better luck finding a willing fellow forum member around.

Hey Carter,
Ignore the courtesy lessons. I see no problem with your request. If I was nearby I'd invite you over. But mine is set up for a tall rider so it might not be to your liking.
I knew the bike was good for me. I drove 10 hours to pick up a used one. Check out the used market in your area. These bikes last a long time and a used may have nice farkles included.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Go on cycletrader and find some private sellers. Some are more willing than others to allow for a test ride.

Go on cycletrader and find some private sellers. Some are more willing than others to allow for a test ride.

Ya.............private sellers love tire kickers, joy rides and having their time wasted.:D

With added benefit that the joy ride ends with a damaged bike and chance to be on Judge Judy.

We do need a giant sarcastic emoji on the forum !!!!!!

Last edited:
Ya.............private sellers love tire kickers, joy rides and having their time wasted.:D

With added benefit that the joy ride ends with a damaged bike and chance to be on Judge Judy.

We do need a giant sarcastic emoji on the forum !!!!!!

Having sold a fair number of bikes myself, I will admit that I was in the camp of those private sellers that did not let a stranger test my bike. On the other hand, I also shopped used in this manner and did find some sellers more than willing to allow a test ride. Comfort levels vary and it never hurts to ask. One more avenue for the OP to try.

Have sold a lot of bikes privately. Did not allow test rides...ever. However, I did offer a 60 minute money back guarantee. If you buy the bike, we complete the paperwork and then you take delivery...you have 60 minutes to test ride it. If you return it in the same condition, I will refund and tear up the paperwork. This was part of my advertisement. Never had a purchased bike returned.

Never bought a bike without test-riding it ;)

See, it can go both ways.

Usually if I try the bike I am ready to buy it, and bring the money (bank check) with me.

But twice I warned potential sellers that my mind was not set and this really was a test with no guaranteed purchase. They were OK with it. One was a NC 700 X manual, did not like it and ended up buying a 750 DCT ;)

Back