• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tested 2020 DR650 last weekend...

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I heard so many times about DR650as one of the best, if not the best, Dual sport bike, I gave it try last weekend. It was short, about half an hour long ride, on pavement only.
After riding last 3 years only my NC700X DCT, back on the clutch/gear shifter was a bit painful first couple minutes. It's sooo easy to get used to good stuff :D
So, the ride was to short to "learn" a lot, except the seat is horrible, and I kept trying to shift up to 6th gear... But one thing really bothered me is the poor dashboard. Speedometer, N light, D light - and that's it. At least RPM gauge so I can "figure out" in what gear I am?!? Nor gas level gauge?
Comparing to it's arch nemesis KLR650 it's REALLY poor.

Any DR650 owner here that can suggest anything about it? Any solution?

Last edited:
I had a DR and was very happy with it. I replaced the stock seat with a Seat Concepts cover. I'm very short, so I did the factory lowering. I also put in a Cogent suspension.
I was the third owner of that bike and the previous owners had not cared for the bike, so there were some issues. Someone did mount a large aftermarket gas tank and rear rack. Otherwise, I liked it. I did several long trips, including the TAT as far as Arkansas. Simple engine, easy to work on, set valves etc. Air cooled for more simplicity. Good aftermarket support.

When comparing the DR to a KLR. The DR is more off-road capable and I think the reliability is better. Its also much lighter than the KLR. The KLR is supposed to be a better highway bike, but I had no problems on highways.

I don't worry about RPM and gear. Is it doing what I want at the moment? Need more power, downshift. I have found myself reaching for 6th gear, but so what. I was going fast enough.

Sold the DR and my 750 Nighthawk to get the NC. Still miss the DR, but now I have a Himalayan. The size of the Hima is much better for my 28" inseam.

I think it all depends on how you want to use the motorcycle. If you want to tour, KLR. If you want to go out to the dirt occasionally, get the DR.

Sold the DR and my 750 Nighthawk to get the NC. Still miss the DR, but now I have a Himalayan. The size of the Hima is much better for my 28" inseam.
How would you compare DR to Himalayan?

I think it all depends on how you want to use the motorcycle. If you want to tour, KLR. If you want to go out to the dirt occasionally, get the DR.

My NC700X does pretty much what I need on multiple days trips. Most of the time on paved roads, but if I stumble on a gravel/dirt road I'm not going to turn around. Except, maybe level-B roads... :D
With DR (or KLR, or something similar...) I would get more "freedom" to explore, but will lose (a lot?) of comfort riding.

Back