• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How To That darn pointy seat

OIdJIM

Reaction score
Visit site
Durn, I thought that I submitted this already from my tablet, but it is lost so here is from my PC.

For years, I’ve modified bike seats to accommodate my butt, taken seats from other bikes and put them on other bikes, tried Corbon Seats but they always came back with a HARD seat and not what I told them to make for me. I have re-apostered seats sizing them to my desire, that sometimes worked but not always. Lately, I have tried this method that works for my NC750:
Take a Gel Seat, say from Cycle Gear, size x-large (Speedmetal Gel Seat Pad $79) . This gel seat is triangular in shape with a wide end and a narrower end. Attach the gel seat to your original NC seat (using included straps), but place the wide end toward the Front and the narrow end behind you. Place a pair of gloves under the front of the gel pad to raise this portion. What you have is a raised front and wide front that your thighs can grasp, and a comfortable butt portion. You can vary the raised portion by which pair of gloves you place under it. Convenient way to carry an extra pair of gloves. The result doesn’t look too bad either.

I did something similar with my XR1200. That Harley seat was very uncomfortable similar to the NC but much worse to me. Small front seat point sloping down toward the tank. With that, I removed the Harley seat altogether and replaced it with three various gel seats. Result was a lower seat, wide for the hips, soft on the butt. If your NC seat is too high, this may benefit you as well.

Anyway, this is my fix.

Old Jim

Attachments

• 20200903_112534m.jpg
    20200903_112534m.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 151
The seat was one of the things I have heard should be changed for touring. The gel seat you mentioned should work on my GL650 too, so it can be swapped. I think I'll get it before I buy my NCx.

Thanks

Lee

Here's a closer pic of the gel seat on my bike I put on right after I purchased it.
Thanks for the welcomes...
Old Jim

Attachments

• 20200609_073111M.jpg
    20200609_073111M.jpg
    12 MB · Views: 165
I remember a time when stock motorcycle seats were comfortable. They were low enough that riders could flat foot yet still have enough thigh support to be comfortable for hours. Then seats started getting taller for some reason & to allow shorter riders to flat foot they had to remove thigh support. Basically use a Tour de France bicycle seat. The reason we can sit in a chair 8 hours is because our body weight is supported by our legs & butt. If our body weight is only supported by our tail bone we won't be sitting very long. They (motorcycle makers) know that no one sits on a bike more than 5-10 minutes in a showroom so they don't worry about it. They're ok with half the buyers replacing the seat. I didn't replace the seats on my first 6 motorcycles but I did on my last two. The last bike I had to spend additional money on a lowering ling & shorter side stand after putting on the wider seat. Why can't they just put a wide seat at 30-31" instead of a pointy seat at 33.5"? And make it level, not angled forward. Just a rant. Ok, I feel better.

I absolutely despise the seat on this bike, the ergonomics suck, Honda totally dropped the ball, my Buell Ulysses has a proper seat as well as a wider bar grip width ideal for touring and aggressive riding around switchbacks and emergency evasive maneuvers.
I’m trying the amphibian air seat cushion however the ridiculous and narrow down slope angle of the seat negates the benefit , what a pos Honda!!!!

I absolutely despise the seat on this bike, the ergonomics suck, Honda totally dropped the ball, my Buell Ulysses has a proper seat as well as a wider bar grip width ideal for touring and aggressive riding around switchbacks and emergency evasive maneuvers.
I’m trying the amphibian air seat cushion however the ridiculous and narrow down slope angle of the seat negates the benefit , what a pos Honda!!!!
I had a bmw g650gs...seat was also pointed and down sloped and it was worse than the Honda...I replaced it with a corbin and was much better...My kawasaki klx250sf seat is the worse...A wooden 2x4 would be more comfortable...One of these days I will get a seat concepts seat for it (put an airhawk pad on it and can ride a couple of hours before my butt is screaming) ...My Boulevard C50 seat had a good shape but the oem foam was terrible, replaced it with a Mustang seat and never looked back...any bike made to a price point is going to have a not so good seat....and everyone has a different butt,,,,what is comfortable for one can be terrible for another...no such thing as one size fits all...however, Honda shouldnt have made it with the downward slope..

I’m on the fence Shad, Seat Concepts or Sargent. I’m vertically challenged, 5’-6” and 150 lbs. Corbin is out as it raises the seat height. RDL also is too high, would mean lowering. I don’t want to change the kickstand, shorten the centre stand and raise the forks.
I installed Mustang Seats on my 2002 Volusia 800 and 2013 Vulcan 900. Too bad Mustang doesn’t make a seat for the NC750X.
My 2014 CTX1300 OEM seat was reasonable, better when I installed a backrest.

I’m on the fence Shad, Seat Concepts or Sargent. I’m vertically challenged, 5’-6” and 150 lbs. Corbin is out as it raises the seat height. RDL also is too high, would mean lowering. I don’t want to change the kickstand, shorten the centre stand and raise the forks.
I installed Mustang Seats on my 2002 Volusia 800 and 2013 Vulcan 900. Too bad Mustang doesn’t make a seat for the NC750X.
My 2014 CTX1300 OEM seat was reasonable, better when I installed a backrest.
I have tried 7 different seats on the NC700X. Everyone’s body build is different, but here are my opinions of the three seats you mentioned:

Sargent was OK but was slippery and retained the forward slope. Shape was OK but not great for me. My particular seat didn’t mount properly on the bike, but it was a first, early version of their product. I think Sargent had a money back satisfaction guarantee.

Seat Concepts standard is tall and firm, not good for shorter, lighter riders, but it does eliminate the forward slope. They do make a low version but I have not tried it. However, you can also order SC seats with a custom foam density to match your weight, and reshape it yourself, which is what I did and is the seat I use now.

Shad‘s shape looks like it removes the forward slope, but it really doesn’t. Shad does not have the typical sculptured styling ridges and lines that dig into your thighs or butt cheeks, as seen on the stock seat and others. The foam is very soft, so it feels great when you first sit down. On a long trip you eventually feel like you’re forced into a pocket right up by the frunk, and you’re almost sitting on the seat pan. Sinking into the soft foam does make for a lower seat so it helps short legged riders reach the ground. For short, occasional rides, the Shad feels good, but I don’t know how long it will last before the foam is shot.

Last edited:
For me, I'll probably go the Seat Concepts route in time......when funds permit . I may try the MadDog initially. Thanks for the pic New Communter700.

I got the Speedmetal XL gel seat pad. I tried it in various configurations and I must say it helps tremendously in whatever way I place it. I tried it first backwards with some gloves and the rise/bump made by the gloves was too much. So I tried a shop towel folded into a more gentle wedge. Still a little too intrusive on the nethers. I flipped the gel pad around to having the narrow end forward with the shop towel still providing gentle lift in front, and finally I just settled on leaving it in the normal orientation without any shim. I'm still experimenting on different levels of rise in the front, but I may end up just using it in the normal way with nothing underneath. I went on about a 60 mile ride last night with it this way just waiting for my butt to start hurting, but it got dark and cold before my behind said a word.

Back