• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The front brake is not my friend or why I’m leaving the forum

CMGuy

Reaction score
Visit site
Unlike others on this forum who have posted about their mishaps, I have no one but myself to blame. Driving in medium afternoon traffic, van ahead slowed a bit faster than I was expecting and, although I was at a safe following distance, I applied too much front brake, locked up the front tire and the bike and I got intimate with the asphalt at about 25 mph. Rookie/low experience rider mistake.

Damages:
  • 1 full face helmet with deep gashes in the left front including the windscreen
  • 1 pair summer mesh gloves riding (padded on the knuckles, fingers) chewed up
  • 1 pair boots, to the point that my leg is actually burned where the padded collar melted
  • 1 pair jeans (yeah, I know, not safety gear; my riding pants would probably have saved my knee)
  • $4100 for new bits & shop time to install on the bike (someone picked up the left foot peg and handed it to me at the scene as a souvenir) – no pix; I’ve never even seen it as the shop picked it up while I was getting my temporary repairs.
  • Multiple patches of road rash and bruises in the darndest places
  • 1 broken leg (fibula)
  • 1 knee missing multiple layers of skin (7 stitches to pull it mostly back together; skin graft may be necessary)
  • 2 visits to the ER (first in an ambulance; second to make sure there were no deep blood clots in my swollen tight leg)
Wife says get rid of the bike. I have 40 years invested with her and only 4 months with the bike so you know how the discussion plays out.

Been a more than interesting 4 months. I’ve certainly learned a lot and enjoyed participating/interacting with others in this forum.

Ugh, sorry to hear about your mishap! :(

Whether you're here or not, no matter. The main thing is to heal up all better and make the best decisions you can for you and your family all 'round. No one can argue against that! :) Please at least pop back in and let us know how you are doing and if you need anything ;)

We'll miss ya though

Sorry to hear that, too. If it makes you feel better, I did exactly the same thing twice in the space of a month, as recently as a month ago, though I wasn't injured seriously (ATGATT) and didn't do as much damage to my bike; I rode it away both times and the only "must fix" is a front signal. Had I not been wearing my riding pants, I would have been a bit of mess myself. I still haven't told my wife about either spill and she doesn't look at my bike.

My big takeaway is that in moderate to heavy traffic, the rear brake is your friend. In any emergency stopping situation, the rear brake is your friend.

Why don't you hang onto the bike until you are healed and see how you feel about it then. Maybe go take an advanced rider course or two to make the wife feel better and make you a better rider.

Sorry to here this. I hope you heal quickly although I'm sure the broken leg will take some time. As far as the bike goes, it is what it is. Nobody here has the right to judge your decision and if getting rid of the bike keeps the family happy then that is the course you must take. My wife is deathly afraid of motorcycles. I couldn't get her to sit on the thing if it was sitting still on the front porch. I can competely understand her point of view. My wife would rather I not have one. Best of luck.

Going over the high side by locking up the front brake is never a good experience. However, it is usually a one time experience for most bikers. You now have the experience, and you won't do it again! Shame to waste that experience, even though it is not a good experience, by giving up on riding. You now are an experienced rider, so weigh your decision.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear about your mishap. I know from experience that a simple crash where you walk or ride away can really spook those that are close to us, let alone a crash where a broken leg, ambulance ride, and multiple trips to the ER are involved. I second what LBS and DanH have said: Give both yourself and your wife time for things to settle before committing to giving up the bike, and keep us posted on how you're doing. :) And get well soon!

Very sorry to hear that, CM Guy. After my get-off 3 years ago, my wife asked me, knowing fully the answer would be yes, if I'd get back to riding. Without thinking twice, I said yes. and I did get back on a bike before I was fully healed. Her only request was ATGATT (I was in jeans that hot summer day) and get a Hi-Viz gear (which I did).

Best wish to you and your recovery. If the wife changes her mind in the future, hope to see you back on the road again.

Sorry to hear about the accident. As OCR says it's something many of us have done - but in my case I was lucky, just bruises and grazes. If I'd had your injuries after my first 4 months I think I might have taken the same decision that you have. It's your own decision to make together with your family, don't let us influence you one way or another

I was tempted to give a description of good braking practice and the danger of relying too much on the rear brake when I saw DanH's comments about the rear brake - but this is neither the time nor place.

I hope you heal good and get better fast, what's right for you and your family is what is important here.

Thanks all. Appreciate the well wishes.

OCR, didn't go over the top. We both laid down on our left side. Chewed up the left side of the bike and my left leg. All I can really remember is the two good bounces my head took on the pavement. A mystery to everyone how I broke my leg or why the hide is missing more on the inside of my knee rather than the outside. Thank goodness for the two bystanders who stopped and persuaded me not to try to pick up the bike but to go sit on the curb and wait for the ambulance.

As far as not selling and letting things settle, left on my own, I'd park it in the garage for 6 months (the time I was quoted before things would be pretty much back to normal with my body) and go out in the spring. However, my other half was not real happy I got it in the first place. After 40 years, I know when its time to cut my losses and move on.

It's understandable to have the wife worried and demand a breakup with your bike.
However the bigger picture would be to learn from it and PROGRESS from this learning.
We cannot and should not be avoiding risks at all costs but weigh carefully. Otherwise we can all hide under a pillow in case some rock falls out of the sky or the bus runs us over.

Be brave and go slow once more. It will take time but don't rule out biking forever.
Have her agreement before any other moves. If she still insists, respect her fears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Terribly sorry to hear about your "get off". Glad that you will heal up and be around to talk about it. Totally understand your decision going forward. Happy wife, happy life I always say. Hopefully they gave you some good pharmaceuticals to ease the physical pain.

Firstly I am very sorry to hear of your accident. I understand your position and also your Wife's views.

I once knew a man here in Ireland who was a very talented production racer. He had some falls from time to time but nothing terribly serious. He was also a road rider. In his 40's his Wife persuaded him to give up motorcycling as she worried that sooner of later he might have a bad accident. He gave up motorcycling . Two years later he sadly died in a road accident. A truck pulled straight in front of him on a main road. He was driving his car.

This accident should tell you one thing. It was not your time. You learned a hard lesson, but you will benefit from this. Live life to the full and enjoy it as best you can. If that should be on a motorcycle, then let it be. Take plenty of time to think about all that happened. Life is too short for us to be avoiding doing things that we like.

Very sorry about your accident! ABS would have been your friend on this one I suppose. Heal fast and whatever your decision, enjoy life to its fullest man.

Sorry about the getoff and even more sorry to hear you quitting riding. But, family comes well before just about everything else. Get well, hug your wife twice as many times a day as you normally do and enjoy every day that you get from now on as a gift. Carpe Diem!

Sorry for your get-off. Bought the DCT just to get the ABS. I've had panic brakes before where I didn't lock up the front tire, but I felt that it was only a matter of time before I did.

Sorry to hear this.hope goes well.my wife first husband (25) year ago died on a bike.he was drinking.she hates bikes but yet i ride.like said only live once.if my wife told me to give it up i would miss her but that is me.heal well
don't be a stranger.keep us updated.
sent from a keyboard in the frunk

Glad your are doing reasonable well considering what happened and God speed on your full recovery. My friend was racing with his CB750 and wiped out at high speed. He will be in a wheelchair for a long time. I have locked up my front and rear wheels a few times but fortunately didn't go down. Love my CB450sc but feel the need to upgrade for a new bike with ABS and EFI.

Back