• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The NC700X ride, What's it like?

Adrian

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wondering what the NC700X rides like. Is it easy on the back parts? I have a problem back. My last bike was a Wide Glide Harley and it was tough on the back. I'm 63 and the back is paying me back now for misusing it!! The smoothest bike I ever road was a Honda ST1100. That was pure pleasure to ride at any distance. Can I get some exprenced riders of this bike to clue me into its ride. Is it fifteen minutes and you got to get off for a thirty minute rest!!! Is your body all rattled to death after riding it?
Thanks for any help
Adrian

I have a ST1300 in the garage that I've put 138,xxx miles on. I got my NC two years and 26,xxx miles ago. The last two Iron Butt rides I did, a Saddle Sore 1000 and a Bun Burner 1500 I did on the NC700X. The first year I owned the 700 I took it on tour for 16 days, 8 of which on one trip of about 3500 miles. The riding position is very comfy for me.... I have stock ergos but did install a larger windshield and hand guards to get better wind protection. My riding is nothing compared to OCR on this forum. He's seemingly always out cross country on his 700 and Strat Tuner just did a coast to coast to coast putt on his 700.

Thank you Dave, that is helpfull. I just don't want to buy and later wish I hadn't bought. I read some stuff last night on this site of trips some of the folks here have taken. None of them complained of body pains and that was a good sign. I'm a Honda fan. I started out on a Honda 50 Super Sport in 1966. $200.00

I'll add most people complain loudly about the seat and many quickly massage it with aftermarket redos or replace it. I'm ok with it after raising the front to flatten the seating area but I'm in the minority.

Everyone is different and not everyone gets on well with the NC after buying but that's with any bike. Sometimes you just got to take the risk. I put a deposit on one as soon as Honda announced it was coming to the US and waited a couple months to get it. The first time I rode it was out of the dealer's lot. It's worked out for me and I hope the same for you.

I came off a GL1000 (1st gen Goldwing), and I find the NC700x much more comfortable for longer trips. I think that on the GL, I was actually sitting too upright, which sent any little bumps directly up my spine. The slight lean forward on the NC is enough to alleviate this. It seems like most NC owners (myself included) find the stock seat uncomfortable and do the slope mod or upgrade to aftermarket. There are many threads on this forum about the seat.

10 4 on the seat. The seat don't look to bad. That Harley I had, had a seat full of buttons and was narrow. The first summer I replaced that right off. Bought a used one and it made all the difference but I never could ride that machine for no more than a hour without resting. I loved riding it though, did it for twelve years with only a couple minor repairs to it. I know this bike won't be like the ST I owned or the one you got, just hope I don't have to be in traction after a day of riding!!! LOL

Thanks Lou. I will check out the seat reviews if I get this bike and don't like the seat. It won't take long in the summer heat to find out. That ST I had, you rode with a lean to it as you are stating and that was probably why it was fine. It only had one way to sit and it was right on. That Harley I had, you could change positions in many ways and you needed all of them! At least I did.

That Harley I had, you could change positions in many ways and you needed all of them! At least I did.

Having had a few cruisers, and being a frequent rider of my s/o's Yamaha V Star, I can relate to the discomfort after an hours ride. Forward pegs put too much weight on the tail bone (coccyx?). That discomfort is not present on the NCX and a brief period of standing on the pegs during multi hour rides will usually be enough to bring relief.

Hey Adrian, welcome to the site. You're not too much older than I am (58). I bought the NC as my first bike in 32 years. I couldn't be happier. I'm 6'2" and did the seat slope change (it's real easy). That helped a lot but I still want to do the Rox 2" risers for the handle bars.
Even as it is, I rode 2,300 miles in about a week in late may (did the Dragon from Louisiana and back). \

I really like it.

Having had a few cruisers, and being a frequent rider of my s/o's Yamaha V Star, I can relate to the discomfort after an hours ride. Forward pegs put too much weight on the tail bone (coccyx?). That discomfort is not present on the NCX and a brief period of standing on the pegs during multi hour rides will usually be enough to bring relief.

Thanks Cyclerosis for your input. The ride generally makes what pain there is all worth it.

I have a bad back from a minor parachute accident while I was in the army. I've rode nothing but sport bikes until I bought this NCX. I can honestly say that in over a year my back has never bothered me. My butt on the other hand had trouble with the stock seat and I did not like the turbulents caused by the Honda Touring screen. I pretty much use this bike for commuting but I have taken several 5-8 hours rides. Never bothers my back.

The dragon I was referring to is the "Tail of the Dragon" in North Carolina. Everyone says if you have a bike, you need to go there. I went....it is beautiful up there but for my money, I'd just as soon stay close to home and do Arkansas roads. THe only thing Arkansas doesn't have are the mountain vistas of the Great Smokies and the Blue Ridge Mountains. If you're riding for the roads, Arkansas is the winner!

I met 5-6 of the forum guys up in Arkansas last month. It was a great time even though I didn't do all the twisties they did (I did about half and headed back to camp) because I'm not that good a rider and they (twisties) make me nervous. I'm the kind of rider that likes to look around. You can't do that when you're riding for the twists.

My "mission" was to make real the people I converse with in here (and do some camping). Both completed!

There's lots of forum members is this area. You could still go on rides with us even if you decide not to get an NC. This is a very friendly group!

The dragon I was referring to is the "Tail of the Dragon" in North Carolina. Everyone says if you have a bike, you need to go there. I went....it is beautiful up there but for my money, I'd just as soon stay close to home and do Arkansas roads. THe only thing Arkansas doesn't have are the mountain vistas of the Great Smokies and the Blue Ridge Mountains. If you're riding for the roads, Arkansas is the winner.

Minor correction. The Tail is in Tennessee starting at the North Carolina border. Agreed, Arkansas has roads every bit as good and wins the comparison for lack of traffic.

As far as the places I've been West Virginia has the best motorcycling. Awesome roads and the traffic on the good roads makes Arkansas seem crowded by comparison.

Thanks OldJeff, I had a Corbin on my WideGlide and I loved it. It was a old used seat but it still had a lot of life in it. It had a back rest for me also as it did for a passenger. A really nice set up.

Thanks itlives. I like Arkansas for riding my self. I went for a week of camping on a motorcycle at the mountain at Mena, Arkansas. I was with a couple that was on a Harley. They had a little camper they pulled behind the Harley that they slept in. We rode out every day in a different direction and came back to the camp each night. They took me up on Mount Nebo. I accused them of trying to kill me!!! lol I was on a ST1100 Honda and was not real good at riding it at that point. Them switch back roads going up that mountain really made me nervous but I made it to the top and back down. I couldn't keep up with them at first during our rides but by the end of the week I emproved quite a bit and was able to keep up by the end of the week. I could lay that ST down and go around them curves like you suppost too at the end of the week. I enjoyed riding up there and it would be fun to do it again. The people we ran into were all friendly to us. A storm came up one night up on that mountain we was camped on and blew me and my tent away. I got out of the tent and there was a laundry room there, so I took the ST and parked it in the laundry room and I slep on a laundry folding table that was in there. That saved me that night. I'm not a go fast rider and like you say I like to see whats around me while I'm riding. I don't have a bike right now. I sold my Harley and haven't gotten anything else yet. Thanks for the invite to camp and ride. Hopefully I can get a ride soon.

dduelin, I been thru Virginia a few times but not by motorcycle but in a car. I was stationed in Aberdeen Maryland for AIT training just before I went to Vietnam. I agree with you on good riding in Virginia. Tenessee might be good too. I would like to go to Oregon one of these days. Passing thru Virginia on them roads was something else. If I remember right they was all two lane only and just didn't seem very wide at the time. Going back up thru there would probably be a lot of fun.

Thanks Sargeant Chuck. I was at a Honda shop today and sat on a NCX for a bit and talked to a salesman. The bike feels really light. I like that too. The last two bikes I've had were really heavy bikes. The seat didn't feel real good as I sat there. Seems like it needs to be wider. It is a 2013. He offered it to me for 7 thousand and no prep fees. I offered him 6,200 and no prep. He said I would have to talk to the owner of the place to maybe get that deal. I know the owner pretty good, so maybe it will happen. He's out of town right now. He ownes three Honda shops around here.

Back