The Nc700x windshield angle too low?

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done a lot of high headwind miles. And i think that my Puig windshield and possibly many others are angled too low. Too flat. The angle needs to tilted up more. And the windshield can be a lot taller if you need it to be.

The nc700x mount is very tricky. It uses very special Honda plastic and rubber parts with brass inserts to hold the shield to the metal mount. I needed longer bolts.

My crazy expensive Shoei kept getting the wind blast right in my eyes. So loud! I could not hear my tunes at all at highway speeds.

I started with plastic washers on the top bolts. Slowly tilting it up to block the wind.

i kept adding and adding.

i eventually made a flat 8” long aluminum bar using 1” aluminum from Home depot to act as a spacer between the two upper mount bolts. This gave me 3/16”+

This seemed a little too far to tilt up. It could never possibly work this far up. Wow. Was I wrong.

I could easily tape the ends of it with electrical tape and drill holes in both ends of the scrap metal bar. I held it in place with painters tape and ran the upper bolts through it. When mounting it without rubber washers, the bolt caps kinda dug in wrong.

I used rubber washers to allow everything to vibrate and clamp properly so it would not crack.

Then i started adding gorilla tape to the top edge. No. Not duct tape. Gorilla tape. The SCUBA diver’s second best friend.

Then i added some door guards from the auto store along the edges to push the wind out further. More tape. Lots more tape.

tape tape tape tape tape

Then ride a few hours and listen.

Tape some more. I needed to raise the top edge taller and taller. Hmmm.... 3m electrical tape is water resistant too.

ride some more. Listen. Feel.

Declare that somehow you have not developed some sort of OCD or tape fetish. Add more tape.

And there you have it. A gigantic long-hauler wind scoop. One that is appropriate for enduro riding and long highway trips. I added about 3 inches to it. And tilted it up about 5 degrees.

See below. Oh lord! That is really big. My first one was not so bad. I used a little foam from the art store to give it stiffness.
See the middle photo. That was my test part. Then, I made it wider and taller. See left. The red tape is there because it is cool in red. Yes. I said it. It is coooooool.

Well now. What good would that do? When I ride enduro style standing up, it pushes the wind over my shoulders. My enduro riding no longer has a speed limit. Whah???? No more tired fingers.

When I am seated, the wind goes over my helmet and into my top helmet vents.

My wife asked me how I can see with that. My answer was.... I do not need to see someone's knees when they cross in front of me. If a squirrel darts across the road and I do not see it coming, well, then I am just speeding along squirrel evolution. If you know someone who has a pet squirrel, you learn that they are smarter than you think. It wont be long before they replace us all as the dominant species... at least in suburbia. I digress.

You can have it that tall. Yes. You can. And you can see properly. And if I crash and take it on the neck... the first 3 inches is foam and tape. I can dig it. Crash is my middle name.

Attachments

• 202CBB32-46A4-4E75-81A8-5375DE14CD42.jpeg
    202CBB32-46A4-4E75-81A8-5375DE14CD42.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 459479CD-3312-419E-820A-4B16CF6AEC17.jpeg
    459479CD-3312-419E-820A-4B16CF6AEC17.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • 96191618-6DB5-4F5E-9BA7-5969AC3F7078.jpeg
    96191618-6DB5-4F5E-9BA7-5969AC3F7078.jpeg
    523.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh. If you don’t have access to a NASA style wind tunnel, there are a couple ways to explore whether or not your windshield was doing any good. As you read below, understand the risks to others and yourself. Don’t be stupid. Think of others first.

While riding, place your hand fingers closed up against your windshield edge. Top, then right, then left. Increase speed and repeat. Use a karate knife hand to block the wind. Listen. Look at your helmet visor. Does it vibrate??

The fact that my hand made a difference in how my helmet behaves is key to understanding how my head cuts the wind.

No cutting wind jokes please.

Raise and lower your visor. Repeat. Raise and lower your inner visor if you have one. Repeat. Vary the combination half up and half down of both inner and outer visors.

I wear three layers of eye protection. Yes i do. Even the pair of glasses I wear has an effect on chatter and noise.

Check bug smash patterns on your windshield and helmet. Are the bulk of the bugs hitting you in the eyes? Yes. Keep reading. This is a real thing.

The concentration of bug squash is an indicator of the lowest part of the wind blast.

The bugs should concentrate just above your visor. Not on your visor.

This is a huge deal if you know anything about eye injuries. I do.

I was a professional paid fast boy. And riding on my face was also a thing. Your eyes need protection.

Now. Back to the problem. Ride and test. Clean your helmet and ride again.

Add tape to your windshield. Fold it and stick it. Make little wind flaps. No really. Make little wind flaps. Peel it off later. You will be shocked at the difference.

When you can make phone calls at 50 mph, and your spouse can hear you, things get a lot better. Even your tunes sound better.

Wind blast can cause nerve damage and hearing loss. Ear plugs do not always work. Maybe try to fix the cause before making regular stops at the gun store for more ear plugs.

How many people bought one of these little gems below, only to sell it later? Gorilla tape. Oooooo Gorilla tape. "The SCUBA diver's other buddy."

Post your pictures of your experiments here. You may find yourself adding tape wing flaps to the side of your windshield, and not always the top.

Sometimes, a little auto shop door guard is the answer. They come in all shapes and sizes, and they already have glue with them so you can remove them and reposition them.

Yes. I test stuff. And I got good at it. Since I ride half the week, I have a lot of time to test. I fail a lot, so I learn a lot. Can you imagine how good my bike must actually work when I need it to? Test things for a while. Not just today.

Test it in the rain. If it peels off and hits you in the face, it probably was not a good thing. Gorilla tape. Oooooo Gorilla tape.

The solution to your wind problems need not be a $100 solution. Anyone want to by my old windshield extension? It is on Facebook marketplace.

Attachments

• 87C378BA-74EF-475E-8F5F-C26732700836.jpeg
    87C378BA-74EF-475E-8F5F-C26732700836.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Necessity is the mother of invention.

There are two schools of thought concerning wind management. One is to build fairings and windshields with sufficient frontal area to block enough wind to create a bubble of relatively quiet air at the expense of drag and perhaps stability. The other is to work with the air and move it where you want it while keeping the air flow as laminar and quiet as possible. Adjustability for rain and temperature variations is a plus. Systems like the Windbender and Madstad exemplify the latter.

NWGABikeGuy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done a lot of high headwind miles. And i think that my Puig windshield and possibly many others are angled too low. Too flat. The angle needs to tilted up more. And the windshield can be a lot taller if you need it to be.

The nc700x mount is very tricky. It uses very special Honda plastic and rubber parts with brass inserts to hold the shield to the metal mount. I needed longer bolts.

My crazy expensive Shoei kept getting the wind blast right in my eyes. So loud! I could not hear my tunes at all at highway speeds.

I started with plastic washers on the top bolts. Slowly tilting it up to block the wind.

i kept adding and adding.

i eventually made a flat 8” long aluminum bar using 1” aluminum from Home depot to act as a spacer between the two upper mount bolts. This gave me 3/16”+

This seemed a little too far to tilt up. It could never possibly work this far up. Wow. Was I wrong.

I could easily tape the ends of it with electrical tape and drill holes in both ends of the scrap metal bar. I held it in place with painters tape and ran the upper bolts through it. When mounting it without rubber washers, the bolt caps kinda dug in wrong.

I used rubber washers to allow everything to vibrate and clamp properly so it would not crack.

Then i started adding gorilla tape to the top edge. No. Not duct tape. Gorilla tape. The SCUBA diver’s second best friend.

Then i added some door guards from the auto store along the edges to push the wind out further. More tape. Lots more tape.

tape tape tape tape tape

Then ride a few hours and listen.

Tape some more. I needed to raise the top edge taller and taller. Hmmm.... 3m electrical tape is water resistant too.

ride some more. Listen. Feel.

Declare that somehow you have not developed some sort of OCD or tape fetish. Add more tape.

And there you have it. A gigantic long-hauler wind scoop. One that is appropriate for enduro riding and long highway trips. I added about 3 inches to it. And tilted it up about 5 degrees.

See below. Oh lord! That is really big. My first one was not so bad. I used a little foam from the art store to give it stiffness.
See the middle photo. That was my test part. Then, I made it wider and taller. See left. The red tape is there because it is cool in red. Yes. I said it. It is coooooool.

Well now. What good would that do? When I ride enduro style standing up, it pushes the wind over my shoulders. My enduro riding no longer has a speed limit. Whah???? No more tired fingers.

When I am seated, the wind goes over my helmet and into my top helmet vents.

My wife asked me how I can see with that. My answer was.... I do not need to see someone's knees when they cross in front of me. If a squirrel darts across the road and I do not see it coming, well, then I am just speeding along squirrel evolution. If you know someone who has a pet squirrel, you learn that they are smarter than you think. It wont be long before they replace us all as the dominant species... at least in suburbia. I digress.

You can have it that tall. Yes. You can. And you can see properly. And if I crash and take it on the neck... the first 3 inches is foam and tape. I can dig it. Crash is my middle name.
This is one of the funniest send-ups I have seen in a long time. For a while there you had me going. I admit for a few minutes I actually thought you rode around looking like this! Truly a hilarious spoof! Keep 'em coming! More tape... Crash, you are a hoot!

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. Thank you! People say I am fall-out-of-your-seat funny. Look at my windshield. Notice how I disguised Hello Kitty inside a Utah decal. The girls love it. It is my way of saying I love Japan and Japanese culture.. or at least the insane forced happiness of hello kitty and the entire meme.

You will notice this shield is a little tall... and upright... and possibly resembling someone flipping the bird or something less polite. This is why I did not continue the yellow outline around the bottom.

I had to think about cultural issues while riding. Not to mention distractions for head-on drivers. The stickers give it a more fun feel. And it should not resemble a gigantic Johnson headed right for you at 80 mph. I mean. I am a ladies guy. But wow, a little too forward? Right?

Attachments

• IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 13

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
So, back to the more serious part of this thread. Now you can see how I evolve my designs. Change tilt...add height... to add a lot more height...to add width... to the final design of a high speed wind deflector. I was very pleased at how well this actually worked for all day riding and off road pothole-dodging. I do not feel as if it is top-heavy. I can throw the bars around because the top three inches is only foam and tape.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
And this is what it looks like. Now, yours will look very different. The bottom line, it is a Puig with a 3" foam and tape extension. Which forgive me for breaking character [and not wind] is not all that different. The top edge is now a face and neck protector. At 5'10" I can get on the bike and not hit my helmet. If I do hit my face for some reason I wont break my nose.

When hitting rougher terrain, the shield had hit my chest protector. So... no biggie there. Yes, I like to pretend that I am some sort of super dirt biker dude that everyone admires. The truth is... I am lucky every time I am out for more than four hours. There is always a soccer mom or yuppie dad on a cell phone.

There is always a crosswind or some large beetle pulling up at the last second only to smear and ricochet off my helmet giving me the impression that I have somehow hit warp speed. Look closely at the image. You will see how the bottom edge near the headlight has roundish bug splash, but the top is all streaks if any at all. This means the bugs are being pulled up and over my head.

I learned about this sorta thing during Mayfly season in Pennsylvania. If you cannot get under your wind scoop, these bugs are so thick that they will cover your entire helmet shield in seconds until you cannot see at all... and that is super freaky. You cannot wipe them off. You have to look in-between them until you cannot see at all, then pull over. Try and wipe them... and all you get is a gigantic greasy smear because the nymphs are water borne and that river gunk is in their gut.

In Texas, there are no such bug clouds near Dallas, but west and south, they hit like a paintball pellet. Ow. The new shield works so well for that. When I feel them bouncing off my armor, I just tuck under and behind the wind shield. I can raise up my face shield and link it with the top edge of the windshield with a small gap. The bugs can do their worst and I can pretend I am in hyperdrive.

I can pretend I am cool.

Attachments

• FE537397-733D-4F23-9672-8897122126FE.jpeg
    FE537397-733D-4F23-9672-8897122126FE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 97E226E8-E483-4030-84B2-2D5393432133.jpeg
    97E226E8-E483-4030-84B2-2D5393432133.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • F61CCBE2-D5EA-43F6-9209-3C6223FF1268.jpeg
    F61CCBE2-D5EA-43F6-9209-3C6223FF1268.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 1ED4DBB8-B397-4E31-A2F2-E174873C70D7.jpeg
    1ED4DBB8-B397-4E31-A2F2-E174873C70D7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

brb

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same "hand method" after installing the factory touring shield. Then used some cardboard of different sizes to see what works for me, 6ft 4in. In the end I put on the MRA X-creen touring (6in tall 15in wide) bolted to the tour shield. When its Hot and i am riding local I leave it down and get plenty of air. When its cold or going on long rides I move it up and by changing the angle you can get just the right amount of bleed air for your comfort.

NWGABikeGuy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. Thank you! People say I am fall-out-of-your-seat funny. Look at my windshield. Notice how I disguised Hello Kitty inside a Utah decal. The girls love it. It is my way of saying I love Japan and Japanese culture.. or at least the insane forced happiness of hello kitty and the entire meme.

You will notice this shield is a little tall... and upright... and possibly resembling someone flipping the bird or something less polite. This is why I did not continue the yellow outline around the bottom.

I had to think about cultural issues while riding. Not to mention distractions for head-on drivers. The stickers give it a more fun feel. And it should not resemble a gigantic Johnson headed right for you at 80 mph. I mean. I am a ladies guy. But wow, a little too forward? Right?
I am not a ladies guy, being old, retired, and married to the same lady for 50 yrs., so my opinion is probably not well qualified, however, I do think that 80 mph is probably a little too forward. Only your local law enforcement or State Troopers can tell you for sure. The Hello Kitty motif is pure genius, and the phallic metaphor is so subtle that it is barely discernible. Your sensitivity to cultural issues is timely and commendably woke. I have been considering a large Superman "S" symbol combined with a number of dollar signs ($$$$) and perhaps a replica of the Congressional Medal of Honor and an Olympic Gold Medal. I am struggling with a way to depict affection for Japanese culture, and am considering a montage featuring battles between Godzilla and King Kong, but I don't want to get PETA on my case. What are your thoughts about my ideas?
p.s. I get a little anxious at speeds above 30 mph so I keep my eyes closed most of the time, therefore transparency and sight lines are not issues to interfere with design.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you are spot on. Really! Make your bike your own. Customize. Dress up!! Everyone loves something different. And... thank you for your service to our country!!!

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
People actually pull up next to me to complement my schooled mode of dress and playful appearance. Coupled with my highly flexible broken concrete navigation and quick zippy tire movements, people are totally blown away. I tell them it is not all me. The bike center of mass is much lower than other bikes. But people are just not up on what that means. They just see some guy on a 400lb bike moving around like he is pedaling a bicycle. It really is not all me. I swear. I never rode my XR like this because that bike was so top heavy. The Africa Twin is nowhere near as nimble. The NC can move very quickly under my hips. My helmet follows a line. And so do my shoulders. And that is the fun part.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay my friends. I think I totally overdid it. But wow. Great results. Superb wind blockage and safety. From the front, i needed yellow tape to disguise the somewhat culturally unfortunate outline.

Attachments

• 839064EC-6745-4841-B1F8-2FEA16883547.jpeg
    839064EC-6745-4841-B1F8-2FEA16883547.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same "hand method" after installing the factory touring shield. Then used some cardboard of different sizes to see what works for me, 6ft 4in. In the end I put on the MRA X-creen touring (6in tall 15in wide) bolted to the tour shield. When its Hot and i am riding local I leave it down and get plenty of air. When its cold or going on long rides I move it up and by changing the angle you can get just the right amount of bleed air for your comfort.
Very inventive! Sometimes you just need to say “flurg it!” and start sticking stuff on. You gave it so e thought! Unlike the fast and furious wanna-bes on TV who can be seen losing their sport wing to a bounce and gust of wind. You prototyped. You got it done.