• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The Scary Bridge

It could throw an inexperienced rider into an crash, but that's about it

It's not about being an inexperienced rider, it's more about never having encountered an open metal grate bridge deck.
It would freak a seasoned rider out if they had never encountered one before, especially one so long.

Let's not get too carried away with this bridge. It's not unrideable; It's just considerably more squirrely than other grate bridges for some reason. It could throw an inexperienced rider into an crash, but that's about it
Sorry to get carried away. I‘ve ridden around 300,000 miles, including dirt bikes, so not inexperienced. I would not have crashed, but in a sense it scared me, and I didn’t enjoy It.

I grew up outside Paducah so I'm very familiar with that bridge and have ridden several motorcycles across it. Honestly, the posted speed limit is a bad speed. Ride a little faster and it gets better. Too much faster and it gets worse. Same for a car, the posted speed is bad. After I figured out a good speed for my bikes, the only time I was scared was when I came across a basketball sized hole where I assume someone lost part of their load. Avoidance maneuvers on that bridge are scary especially with oncoming traffic.

After buying a bike or scuffing in new tires, that was my first destination. One bike I bought had practically new tires so I took it across that bridge, came back on I-24, and ordered new tires. Scuffed in the new tires, took the bridge again, and came home across the bridge. Never worried about grooved pavement much if my tires could handle that bridge.

*edited to correct spelling error

Last edited:
Back