• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The ultimate "daily wear" protective moto boot

I probably skimmed too fast or missed it between the couple different threads: Do you consider the lateral stiffness and shaft height of road race and touring boots adequate to your desires (like the SMX6)? Is it only looks that takes that type out of it for you?
YES, the Alpinestars SMX6 v2 has the protection that I was looking for but the looks are (IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION) just plain old butt ugly. I do realize that my concern for appearance is one of my own vanity. I actually posted that boot as one of those I'd consider if the looks were more "normal" in appearance as opposed to the euro-tour on steroids look.

Separately: Did you look at the Alps Toucan? Atomic Moto recommended them to me at one point, but I’ve never seen them nor were they in my range of choices. Just curious.
Yes, the TOUCAN is a great boot, and MORE protective than my choices listed in this thread. Forma's Adventure boot, Sidi's Adventure 2, and a bunch of other similar boots are amazingly protective boots. But the Toucan is a $500 boot, my limit was $375.

But for a "daily wear" boot, that must include a good bit of off-the-bike activities, I pretty much eliminated all the 'real' Adventure Boots.

In my first post I listed criteria and limited the number of buckles to a maximum of 2, that was done specifically to take out of consideration the big off-road style Adventure boots. And while the Toucan has only 2 buckles it is a hard core boot. In fact those are great boots. They are protective boots. But they are not what I would want to wear while going grocery shopping. The category of boot described is NOT for the "most protective" boot; rather it is for that mixture of practical daily use combined with a high level of protection.

Those of us who tend to ride for an hour or two, stop for lunch, walk about town, ride some more, stop in another town and get groceries to take back home, etc we don't take our boots off at each stop. So the boot has to be comfortable enough to run daily errands, to allow standing/walking for an hour at a time, and then hop back on the bike. Lots of the Euro Touring style boots do that very well, as do many other light duty riding boots, riding shoes, etc. But very few offer shin protection, and fewer yet offer any torsional ankle protection. Many have soles that are flexible enough to allow a front to back crush.

Last edited:
Okay, just checking. I rejected the Toucan based mostly on price, but a combination of things.

The main reason I asked about the SMX6 is that road race and touring boots have FAR less crush (and often even twist) protection than any of the semi-off-road to off-road boots. That’s up to you, of course, I just thought you were looking for something other than what you’re looking for. Now I understand.

I wore my motocross boots all over my college campus (lots of walking and very steep hills) way back when, to help break them in a bit. I have a really good idea of what it’s like walking around in STIFF boots for non-motorcycle activities. While I don’t _like_ it, clearly it bothers me a whole heckuva lot less than it bothers you.

Poor on-bike control operation is WAY more bothersome to me than walking around in stiff boots.

...Poor on-bike control operation is WAY more bothersome to me than walking around in stiff boots.
Agreed!

But a bit less of an issue with DCT

I think the SIDI Canyon is pretty much the ultimate modestly protective “daily rider” boot. The SIDI Armada seems like it’s even better, but not sure it is worth the price bump. At least not at regular prices. But at discount prices I think it hits all the right buttons for higher levels of protection + value.

Reactions: MZ5
Looks like I may be lucky in the price? The sale prices on the SIDI brand boots have ended.

Dennis Kirk . com has confirmed my boots at the sale price.

NONE of the other websites I frequent would even permit me to place an order so none would honor the sale price, except on the few smaller sizes they seemed to have in stock. None of my frequented websites are currently allowing orders to be placed for the boots even at the regular price, they show them as either backordered or for May delivery.

Still looks like I have a long wait to get the boots, probably not until May?

What are you riding in now? It looks like the Sidi canyon is a man made material upper instead of Leather. Do you think that will be an issue? On the upside glad you got the sale!

What are you riding in now? It looks like the Sidi canyon is a man made material upper instead of Leather. Do you think that will be an issue? On the upside glad you got the sale!
Forma

Synthetic does not sway my opinion. Several boot choices in my list were synthetic.

The only complaints I see about the Armada are for shifter wear issues and I primarily ride a DCT so not an issue for me.

No secret I've posted in several threads about boots. I'm still searching.

I want a daily wear boot. Something that is actually PROTECTIVE and COMFORTABLE. Many moto boots, particularly touring style boots offer very minimal protection. The low cut riding shoes and hightops simply don't offer the minimum protection I am looking for. Others are to rigid that they are not practical for daily use.

Price: Something $375 or less
Protection: Minimum of mid-shin height (12-15" tall), with rigid shin plate, ankle protection pads, rigid heel cup, rigid toe protection. Preferably with ankle support for twisting/torsion injuries but not a total deal breaker if it does not have rotational protection. These are all "non-negotiable" items for me. My old boots already have 3 of those 4 features, I want to increase protection, not decrease it.
Wearability: I'm looking for a new 'daily wear' boot so the sole must be flexible enough to allow me to walk around, but rigid enough to protect against a crush injury. Again, serious protection with reasonable walkability is required.
Waterproof: some sort of breathable waterproofing is desirable, but not a deal breaker
Appearance: not looking for a space boot with shiny plastic, lots of odd looking details like many of the minimally protective euro style touring boots. Not looking for GIANT logos in contrasting colors, multi-colors, etc. I want something that fits under casual looking riding pants and looks pretty much like a casual boot.
Entry/Exit: I don't want a half dozen buckles, complicated collars, etc. These are for daily use, if they are a P.I.T.A. to get on/off then I likely won't wear them. A zipper would be great. Velco & Zipper is good. Buckles acceptable but not more than 2.

FWIW, I'm a fan of CE ratings but I'm not blind or stupid. Both of these boots (below) have the same 2-2-2 CE rating but very few people will argue that these two boots offer similar protection. And I don't want to wear either of these. I want something that gives me a lot more protection than the ICON but is not a pure off-road boot like the SIDI while still giving some of the same protection as a motocross boot.

I look at CE ratings as "minimal" ratings. DOT helmet ratings are a joke, most of us know that and understand why. CE ratings are better, because they actually test the stuff before it is certified. Perhaps it would be better to compare CE ratings to MIL SPEC for guns? MIL SPEC is just the minimum standard acceptable. A CE 2-2-2 doesn't mean there is any protection in other areas, there are other ratings for shins, waterproofing, etc that CE certifies too, but generally the marketing people just say something is "CE" rated or certified and don't give us any details. And there are boots of the same model in different sizes that are CE certified to different levels! So common sense and diligent research need to be applied.

View attachment 44212 View attachment 44213

So here is the conundrum. How do I get the functions I desire from a moto boot and which is the ultimate?

Below is my list of candidates, in no particular order. There are a few others, Stylemartin makes a couple that could fit but reviews are slim. Forma’s ADV-Tourer would probably hit all the marks to qualify but the Cape Horn is a better boot so it’s easy to skip over the lower priced ADV-Touring boot since budget allows it. Also skipping over the heavily ventilated ‘air’ boots as I don’t want to be limited to only sunny dry weather, but admittedly I found very few that meet the minimum criteria I set.

Sidi Armada, checks all the safety boxes BUT has a funky entry/exit with the zipper on the inside and the velcro on the outside. Is it convenient for everyday wear? The sole is reported to be a walkable sole. The boot is reported to be very very comfortable and all day wear is common but the sole is on the stiff side of the spectrum so long walks in the moonlight with your beloved might be a bit too much to ask. The rigid ankle protection is a huge bonus. From the front, under a pair of moto-jeans it would look like a dress boot, perhaps not the side/back view, so pretty acceptable. Best ankle protection of the bunch. Gore-Tex waterproofing.

View attachment 44214

The Forma Cape Horn ticks all the boxes for safety and walkability. Not quite the ankle protection of the Sidi Armada, and none of the torsional protection and it has 2 buckles and velco, but still meets the minimum standards I'm looking for. Not quite the casual look I want either with its industrial looking sole extended at the toe, but not a moon boot, so acceptable. Very walkable boot, also among the tallest which gives protection to the shin.
View attachment 44215

Rev'it has the Trail H20 which ticks every box but the sole is reported to be on the stiff side of walkable. So perhaps barely walkable. A technical and protective boot for sure, casual look to it under moto-pants, ease of entry/exit. Reported to have pretty good ankle torsional protection, something that is lacking on many of the boots. So lots of positives, if the sole is walkable.
View attachment 44216

Sidi Canyon is a classic moto boot which garners rave reviews for protection, comfort and looks but it is also one of the lowest of the bunch. It still offers rigid shin protection, but its minimal compared to some of the others. Ankle is not stiffened/protected in the same way as the the Sidi Armada, nor even as good as the Rev'it Trail. Foot protection and all day comfort are widely claimed to be superior by loyal owners. Gore-Tex waterproofing.
View attachment 44217

Alpinestars Radon Drystar again ticks the boxes, its actually one of the few Euro Touring style boots that offers reasonable shin protection. Looks may take some getting used to but it seems to offer everything on the list, if a little lower in the shin than most. Probably should be near the bottom of the list, if for no other reason than it has lowest acceptable shin protection. Alpinestars offers several different models in this same basic configuration, with similar protection. Full leather with Gore-Tex ($299) in addition to this model at $199, in addition to ventilated models. Alpinestars is one of the few that has some real hard panel shin protection in some of their Euro-touring boot styles. Most of the euro-touring boots have very flexible soles and while they offer some protection from a side crush, they offer very little front impact protection because the soles are so flexible.
View attachment 44218

Another of the rare Euro Touring boots to offer all the protection required, the Dianese Freeland is taller than the Alpinestars Radon and again has that sort of Euro oddball look, but perhaps a bit more subdued than the Alpinestars and probably would look good under a pair of riding pants. Pretty good shin protection, hard and soft ankle protectors too, but torsional rigidity is lacking. Walkable. Gore-Tex waterproofing. Dianese also offers full leather versions, ventilated, etc. Some of their euro-touring models have hard shin protection. Like other euro-touring boots, these have flexible soles and offer CE rated protection from a side crush but very little front impact protection because the soles are so flexible.
View attachment 44219

The final boot that I think hits the buttons is the Alpinestars Camperche which is perhaps a more technical and protective boot, similar to he Rev'it Trail boot above. Again, the sole is on the stiffer end of the spectrum and walking may be a chore, but it is supposed to be marginally more flexible than the Rev'it. Bonus that it comes in 2 different colors. Ankle stiffness and torsional protection is reported to be good, better than the Euro style touring boots and the Sidi Canyon. Not as tall as the Forma but taller than the Euro style boots and the Sidi Canyon.
View attachment 44220
Looks like there might be a few pair of the old style Klim Outlander GTX with the boa closures around. I really like mine.

Looks like there might be a few pair of the old style Klim Outlander GTX with the boa closures around. I really like mine.
It is a great boot for foot protection but does not come up onto the shin and give shin protection. My current boot offers similar protection and I was looking for an upgrade in protection instead of a lateral move with similar protection.

Also, while I listed it as optional, it does not have torsional ankle protection as it’s a low boot. Some of the others have that protection included.

It is a great boot for foot protection but does not come up onto the shin and give shin protection. My current boot offers similar protection and I was looking for an upgrade in protection instead of a lateral move with similar protection.

Also, while I listed it as optional, it does not have torsional ankle protection as it’s a low boot. Some of the others have that protection included.
Klim does have a high boot now with boa system and shin protection but the price is 450$, and that’s much higher than you specified

Yup. I set a max at $375...

but Klim’s new boot is too much of a technical adventure boot to consider for daily wear too

I got an email from Revzilla that Sidi boots are back in stock.

I ordered my boots from DennisKirk but did not get a notice from them. When I was shopping Revzilla had them on sale but would not accept orders so it was a "sale" in theory only. DennisKirk had them on sale too, but while they were out of stock they honored the sale price, something that Revzilla would not do.

Hopefully DennisKirk also received their shipment??? With any luck I'll have my new Sidi Armada boots soon.

Got an email today from DennisKirk . com

They are expecting their shipment of Sidi boots in early May. So it looks like I will be waiting a few more weeks. Snowing here today, forecast for more snow tomorrow, so I guess I'm not in a huge hurry.

I have dedicated motorcycle touring boots, I have all leather "construction" type boots, and I have the cordura tactical kinda boots, both tie up and side zip. If I go on a tour I tend to wear the touring boots, in cool weather locally I wear the construction boots and in really hot weather locally I wear the light weight tactical style boots. Of course level of protection varies, but I tend to wear what I feel like wearing on any given day, regardless.

The tactical are the most comfortable for walking around, then the construction boots then the touring boots.

Still waiting for the Sidi Armada boots.

Honestly considering cancelling and ordering something else. I'm going to give it about a week and make my decision based on what I hear from DennisKirk . com when I contact them.

At this point I'm getting close to just needing a more protective boot as my riding is increasing, albeit usually at reasonably short distances. Pretty much anything from the Forma: ADV Tourer, Cape Horn or even their Adventure Boot would be great. The Alpinestars Campeche is still high on my list. Sidi Canyon seems to be in stock at some places in my size too, but I believe the Canyon is less protective than the Forma Cape Horn.

Dianese Centari is out of my price range from American sources but I found it on sale on an European website. With shipping added it is just inside my price range, but if there was an issue with the boots it would be problematic to return them/replace them.

EDIT - UPDATE

WAITING TO HEAR BACK FROM DENNISKIRK . com

SOME POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVES if the Armada boots are not available:

Dianese Centari
seems to be out of stock in my size at most places that list stock status. It is $425 from US suppliers so above my price point. I'm very leery of buying a boot from an overseas source if I've not previously tried the brand for size. But I could get it from just under $375 from Italy.

Rev'it H20 Trail is out of stock in my size at several sources. So eliminate that boot as a replacement.

Looking at the FORMA ADV Tour and the FORMA Cape Horn. They both offer very similar protection, the Cape Horn is a little taller. The ADV Tour probably would be an easier "daily wear" boot and actually meets all the criteria, including being tall enough at about 13". Both have CE 2-2-2-2 ratings. Both have semi-rigid but still reportedly comfortable walking soles.

Alpinestar Compeche is still looking like a good boot, stiff sole so perhaps not as easy for walking in a 'daily wear' situation. Otherwise these look very good. Rev'it GRAVEL is very similar to the Alpinestar Compeche boot, but has an even stiffer/more rigid sole. It appears to be in stock and probably would be a great choice if its sole was more 'walkable' so the Compeche narrowly would be my choice between these two.

All of these boots are more ADVENTURE style than TOURING style. Honestly I don't want the flexible sole of the European Touring style boot or the race style boots as they offer less crush resistance that the stiffer and thicker adventure style boots.

Last edited:
Just heard back from Dennis Kirk . com

They said the warehouse is expecting the boots to arrive in the next 2 weeks. The warehouse then ships to them, who in turn would ship to me. So realistically I'm looking at the END OF MAY for these boots to arrive on my doorstep, assuming no additional delays.

Looks like I have to find a replacement boot. Just don't want to wait that long. I plan to make up my mind in the next few days.

TOP 3 Choices right now. All 3 of these are "Touring" boots, all have a bit more 'ADV' style to them, but these are not adventure boots, they just have some ADV style, a thicker ADV footbed for a bit more rigidity and possibly a bit more crush protection. I don't believe any of these 3 are as protective as the Sidi Armada.

Alpinstar Compeche: $250

Forma ADV Tour: $250

Forma Cape Horn: $300

HEIGHT:
The CAPE HORN is the tallest boot. For a "daily wear" boot it might actually be too tall to be a convenient boot for slip on and off and walk around in on a daily basis. The COMPECHE and the ADV Tour boots are both in the 12" height range.

WALKABILITY:
CAPE HORN has the most flexible sole, which also makes the sole potentially less crush resistant. The ADV Tour is slightly more rigid. Both would be very good 'walking' soles off the bike. The COMPECHE is reported to be the stiffest sole, walkable but barely so.

WATERPROOF:
None of these boots are using GoreTex. The ADV Tour has some user complaints about the waterproofing failures.

PROBLEM SOLVED...

Somehow Revzilla got 1 pair of Sidi Armada boots into stock in my size. They were not in stock 2 days ago. I checked today and they were in stock. Not at the sale price but I ordered them anyway, hope to have them in 5 to 7 days. Cancelled the order from DennisKirk after I got the Revzilla confirmation. Some other retailers are showing stock will not arrived until August.

For whatever it is worth, had I not found the Armada, I probably would have bought the Forma ADV Tour boots.

The Cape Horn, for a 'daily wear' boot just seemed a bit too tall.

Both the Forma ADV Tour and the Alpinestars Campeche are the same height, same general shape but the Campeche only has a zipper close, no adjustments. The ADV Tour from Forma has an adjustable buckle and adjustable velcro closures. I was a bit worried about the Compeche's fit as there is no way to adjust if too loose or too tight in the ankle or instep.

As noted earlier, I don't think any of these 3 are as protective as the Armada. None offer the rigid ankle support of the Armada, the Cape Horn certainly offers the tallest shin protection. The Campeche offers a similarly rigid sole for crush protection of the foot.

Last edited:
Back