• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The "use tax" on stuff for my NC, cut my state refund in half! :-P

mpgandfun

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crapola! I just e-filed my taxes. There's a spot in the Michigan return section to enter all my online purchases that I DIDN'T pay taxes on.
Amazon.com took a pretty penny (at my consent, of course!) with lots of goodies for my bike, necessities (like tires), & some gear for me. Not to break tradition, I pulled the trigger on some cool LED lights yesterday. Its a vicious circle! :D

For me, there's 3 parts to modding my NC:

1) The search: Some stuff gleaned here, some stuff found from search engines, and some stuff from Ama**n.
2) The installation: Sometimes involving improv, cursing, and beer consumption.
3) Enjoying the fruits of my labor during a ride.

Last edited:
we pay tax in advance in what ever we buy. its already added onto the price.
even used items that already had tax paid still attract vat from second hand dealers.

It getting to the point now where Paypal sends you tax infomation based off incoming funds from sales on Ebay. Don't quote me but I think if you make over 20K in a year you are required to attached said document to your income taxes and claim it. My amounts mauy be wrong but I know this is being done because it has happened to me two years in a row.

Last year, they were happy with just knowing the total dollar amount of online purchases.
This year, they asked me to list each item separately. For each they wanted a description,
purchase price, and date of purchase.

why are you willingly paying more taxes than you have to? OH well, to each their own.

To be strictly accurate.....it is a matter of paying all the taxes he has to.

Your question would have more accurately expressed your intent if you had asked, "Why don't you illegally dodge a tax you're unlikely to be busted for?"

(Are you really an accountant?)

Last year, they were happy with just knowing the total dollar amount of online purchases.
This year, they asked me to list each item separately. For each they wanted a description,
purchase price, and date of purchase.

Also in Michigan. I have no objection to paying my rightful taxes, but why does the recordkeeping have to be so painful? It's like they want people to just skip it.

when it time to do my tax return's I have to submit every thing .
yes I have to keep all records of sales purchase's,cost etc.
I have to keep records for at least 4 years before I can dispose of it in case they decide to check up on me.
in less than 3 years I can say good bye to all this as I will be on full pension.

Also in Michigan. I have no objection to paying my rightful taxes, but why does the recordkeeping have to be so painful? It's like they want people to just skip it.

This.

The State of California had nothing to do with my out of state purchase, and will get no part of my tax dollars in regards to that out of state purchase. I do agree that if I buy something online, and the vendor ships the product from California (Amazon), I should (and do) pay sales tax.

If the State of California (in my case) has, through their infinite wisdom, created a market where businesses do not want to be based here because of environment regulations and taxes, then it's not my job to pay sales tax when I have to buy that good from out of the state.

The way I feel about it, if the State of California wants more sales tax -- they should do more to encourage businesses to be based here rather than trying to find new ways every single year to make it harder to run a business here.

/rant

Back