• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thinking about adding CRF250L to the stable . . .

Congrats on the new bike. Post up some pics and let us know your thoughts
CRF250L.jpg
CRF250L Riders View.jpg
Just to set the stage - the CRF250L is my first 'dirt' bike, the NC700X my first bike altogether, and I've been riding almost a year now. Picked up the CRF250L this morning and put ~120 miles on it. Did about 15 miles in and around town on pavement, then headed into the county - lots of gravel roads - some loose, some packed - some dirt and dry weather roads too. Handling on the pavement seemed excellent to me, you do feel that it's a lighter bike at ~300lbs than the NC at ~500, and it actually has a taller stand-over height by ~2 inches. Within just the first couple of miles of riding, I felt comfortable with the layout and placement of things - similar to the NC - and the feel of the various items - clutch, brakes, shifter, handling . . . these were different than the NC but close enough to make adapting easy. It is a six speed but red-lines at 10,500 and you pretty much have to use a wider RPM range to get the torque you need - it doesn't have the raw grunt or smoothness of the NC's twin cylinders or cc's. I'm still working out where the shift points should be. It wasn't difficult to get up to 60-65mph on the highway but it didn't feel like the gearing wasn't going to let me do too much more. On the gravel roads I may have been a little more timid than some of you being new to it with a new bike, but controlling the bike was easy whether doing 20 in a turn with loose gravel or 45 on a hard-packed straight away. It seemed to do fine in the ups and downs, bumps and ruts - though my skills need to improve there. I found it a comfortable and easy ride, and was on ~3 hours without a break. No frunk - miss that already, though it has this little stash spot on the side you might be able to fit your wallet in. No Tach, I think that would help me with the shifting - but the rest of the display is very similar to the NC. 2 gallon gas tank but it's supposed to get ~77MPGs - and I did on the first fill-up after 90 miles. All in all a fun bike and fun ride, it will do just what I need - get me over to, and then up in the mountains - while also being an easy switch between the two bikes.

Last edited:
Great bike there. I also have a dual-sport along side the NC. Getting out in the forest service roads is a great break from the traffic on the highways. Motoring down the highway at 60mph on the Honda will get you anywhere you want to go with little difference in pushing higher speeds. On gravel roads the 250 is just outright fun where the heavy weight adventure machines can get scary.

I just did 150 miles of forest service roads today and happened upon 8 to 10 other vehicles, while the highways here are packed with week-end traffic.

Art

For me the 77mpg is very optimistic. I'm usually around 60mpg if there is highway (2 lane 55mph speed limit) and around town. I did a tank of trail riding and got around 80mpg.

A 13 tooth front sprocket (14 is stock) will help with acceleration and top end. This bike actually goes faster with a smaller front sprocket.

Well now I had to get something a little more off-road too. I know the NC can allegedly handle some non-pavement scenarios, but I found this guy used on CL and went for it. Very satisfied. Now if I only had the time to ride....

2003 Yamaha XT225

xt225small.jpg

Congrats on the new ride, hope it works out for you. I use to have a '85 DT200 and a '91 XR250L back in high school. Both dual sport bikes, but I never had them licensed for the road. I don't even think I was 16 when I had the 200....
I just used them for pounding around the trails at my grandfathers place. I could have licensed the 250, I had all the parts and did put them on, but I sold it and bought my WR. It still amazes me how fast that thing sold...

I took out the CRF250L on demo day and had a blast, I almost left with one. Still thinking of buying it. But once the wife gets over me buying the NC.

I had the bike up to 135km/hr(83mph) unless your going down hill thats it.

Last edited:
I took out the CRF250L on demo day and had a blast, I almost left with one. Still thinking of buying it. But once the wife gets over me buying the NC.

I had the bike up to 135km/hr(83mph) unless your going down hill thats it.
I too had a test ride,,I liked the bike,,but did feel it lacked a little grunt,,,but the fit and finish was spot on ,,much better then the Kawa 250..which I also tested and thought was dross...

TW's are a blast. Heck all the little thumpers are IMO. I gave my TW to my 13 Y/O and when he's done with it, it will go to my 10 Y/O. After that it will stay with me.
Its a keeper.

Back