• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thinking about buying a NC750X, expert advice from owners

TCBronson

Reaction score
Visit site
New to the forum. Not a NC750X owner yet. I had a 2017 Honda Africa Twin and liked it a lot. Too tall and a bit heavy but great power. So then I got a Honda Halfrica twin CB500X and liked it, just OK. Cramped for my 66 year old 6'2" frame and a little under powered. I don't do technical off roading, an occasional dirt road, forest/county type road. I do like to take a long trip once a year or so. Is the NC750X the "goldilocks of Honda motorcycles? I have also been looking at a Moto Guzzi V85TT, no dealers in my state (Arkansas) and I like Honda products better. Also, is there a year, or years that is better? I like the wheels on a 2018, not too crazy about black wheels. I appreciate any thoughts and opinions.
Thanks, Tom

My opinion, not doing dirt, I think the nc is a street motorcycle with off road pajamas. I’m 5’10” and it fits me about perfectly and I use it for day tripping and commuting also about perfect. I know the 500x is considered a more off road competent machine. The nc has plenty of one up power and is a blast to ride though

I am 67 years old and 5'11". I had an Africa Twin DCT and while it's a great bike, I was never going on any rugged off road rides and it was taller than I wanted. Traded it for a Goldwing Non-Tour DCT. Thought it was the perfect bike. Plenty of power and technology and very comfortable. But many it was heavy and I was not going cross country. Plus I ride solo. While I hade the Goldwing in for service I took a 2022 NC-750X DCT out for a test ride. Came back from that and traded the Goldwing in for the NC. Could not be any happier. Only concern for you is the riding position. I find it a little cramped for my old hips. Have installed new foot pegs that are about 15 mm lower, dropping the bike off at a deal this morning so they can install some bar back risers, and will change the seat for not only more comfort but also to raise it about an inch. I think I will have the perfect bike when I finish. It is the most fun bike for my style of riding: 1 up, spirited riding in twisties or around town. ~65MPG doesn't hurt either. Only way you will know is if you go for a long test ride.

New to the forum. Not a NC750X owner yet. I had a 2017 Honda Africa Twin and liked it a lot. Too tall and a bit heavy but great power. So then I got a Honda Halfrica twin CB500X and liked it, just OK. Cramped for my 66 year old 6'2" frame and a little under powered. I don't do technical off roading, an occasional dirt road, forest/county type road. I do like to take a long trip once a year or so. Is the NC750X the "goldilocks of Honda motorcycles? I have also been looking at a Moto Guzzi V85TT, no dealers in my state (Arkansas) and I like Honda products better. Also, is there a year, or years that is better? I like the wheels on a 2018, not too crazy about black wheels. I appreciate any thoughts and opinions.
Thanks, Tom
Without trying to read between your lines, I see two questions in your post. Whether the NC is the Goldilocks of Honda motorcycles would be purely personal choice. For me it is because it functions, with modifications, as both a short distance play bike and a long distance tourer, with good carrying capacity, adequate power, comfort, and fuel economy. It is a modern day version of the universal Japanese motorcycle. Honda is careful to call it an ”adventure styled” motorcycle. It is a street bike. The NC really has no attributes that would define it as a dual sport or off road capable machine.

The primary variation in model years is body style. There are three body plastics versions: 2012-2015, 2016-2020, and 2021-2022. Other changes were the bump from 670cc to 745cc (via increased bore, the year of change dependent on the country/market area) and the reduction in suspension travel at year 2021. Don’t read too much into the displacement bump, as it didn’t make as much difference as you might expect. In the USA, OEM ABS could not be had on a manual transmission model until 2021, if I understand correctly. Overall reliability and functionality is very similar for all model years 2012-2022. A buyer would simply need to pick their favorite based on some fine variables. As for color, the US market got very few choices: usually one pick per year among black, red, or grey. One model year (2018?) gave US buyers a blue choice. As you noted, there were light grey wheels briefly offered but dark charcoal grey was most common.

You mentioned power twice in your post. If power is important to you, the NC may not be a good choice for you. The power of the NC is very usable as it comes at low RPM, but peak power output is not much higher than that of the CB500 series.

Last edited:
Compared to the CB500 the NC700/750 delivers it's power much differently. The 500 delivers a traditional power curve that is rpm dependent with max 47 horsepower near 8500 rpm while the NC's max 47 to 51 hp is at a rather low 6200 rpm with an abrupt rev limiter cut-off at 6500 for 700s and somewhat higher 7500 rpm for the 750. The CB only makes about 27 ft/lb of torque at 7200 rpm while the NC700 makes about 45 ft/bs at 4500. At 4000 rpm the NC is making 60% more torque ( about 26 ft/lb vs 42 ) As a result the NC has more power in the low and mid range and feels stronger when the throttle is opened. Still, 50ish hp is half of a 100 hp bike and the NC isn't what I call spirited but it is plenty adequate. I have 100 hp bikes and I never feel unsafe on the NC or feel like it lacks adequate power in the same conditions.

Although it is subjective I think the NC is more refined and finished a little better in the details. It's smoother and less frantic with less need to row a gearbox to make power.

Last edited:
I think a new Transalp would be the ticket for me IF they ever released one here in the U.S.
I had a NT700 that I really liked a lot. I took that bike to Prudhoe Bay and back, 10,800 miles.
I currently have a 2014 CB1100 Deluxe and a 2022 KLR 650 I want to sell to get my next "Unicorn" bike. I also have a 1976 HD Sportster, Then Came Bronson tribute bike I want to keep for local shows. I am trying to narrow it down to two bikes, the Bronson bike and the one I actually do all my riding on and was hoping the NC750 would be THE bike. I would want a Russell Day Long seat, bar risers and maybe lower the pegs to fit me. Maybe add some bags and a taller windshield.
Thank you all for your input.
Tom

I think a new Transalp would be the ticket for me IF they ever released one here in the U.S.
I had a NT700 that I really liked a lot. I took that bike to Prudhoe Bay and back, 10,800 miles.
I currently have a 2014 CB1100 Deluxe and a 2022 KLR 650 I want to sell to get my next "Unicorn" bike. I also have a 1976 HD Sportster, Then Came Bronson tribute bike I want to keep for local shows. I am trying to narrow it down to two bikes, the Bronson bike and the one I actually do all my riding on and was hoping the NC750 would be THE bike. I would want a Russell Day Long seat, bar risers and maybe lower the pegs to fit me. Maybe add some bags and a taller windshield.
Thank you all for your input.
Tom
You already touched on it but it sounds like modifications would be needed to make the NC fit your needs as THE bike. For me, the NC is a nearly useless bike in stock form, but it was a good blank canvas to build upon to suit my needs.

You already touched on it but it sounds like modifications would be needed to make the NC fit your needs as THE bike. For me, the NC is a nearly useless bike in stock form, but it was a good blank canvas to build upon to suit my needs.
If you don't mind me asking, what all have you done to your bike and where do you get your parts?
Thanks,
To

If you don't mind me asking, what all have you done to your bike and where do you get your parts?
Thanks,
To
Here are some of my NC700X modifications; I probably forgot a few. Parts were purchased at various outlets based on availability and price. The bike now suits my needs and I have no need for further modification. The two things I would change if I could would be to have belt or shaft drive instead of chain drive, and to have a larger fuel tank.

All ten painted body panels repainted from Honda’s grey to Ford “Lime Squeeze” color
RaceTech Gold Valve Emulators in forks
Extended front brake hose
Reflective rim stripes front and rear
Front fender extender
Triumph fork protectors with reflective tape
Radiator guard
Givi engine guards
Engine guard mounted auxiliary lights
Skene aux light controller
Folding highway pegs
Fuzeblock 12 volt accessory power distributor
Honda accessory harness, relay, and fuse
12 volt 10 amp in-frunk outlet
Emergency frunk latch release mechanism
Dedicated frunk key/knob
Dual note Fiamm Horns
Combined 1.2” and 2 inch handlebar risers for 3.2 inch total rise
CTX clutch cable
CTX throttle cables
Extended wire harnesses to left and right switch gear
Madstad windscreen system
MRA wind deflector added to Madstad
Handlebar clamp bolt RAM mount for GPS
12 volt and USB power at handlebar
Cycle Gear handguards
Adjustable clutch and brake levers
Oxford heated hand grips
Headlight modulator
LED switchback front turn signals
LED compatible signal flasher
Custom modified Seat Concepts rider seat
Dale‘s cargo rack in place of passenger seat
Rotopax fuel can mount
SW Motech AluRack with flat plate, Givi Monolock, Givi Monokey mounts
SW Motech EVO side racks with Givi Monokey mounts
Helmet lock mounted to side racks
Kappa K22N side cases
Kappa top case
Tool tubes mounted to EVO side racks
Rear brake light flasher module
License plate mounted aux LED brake light strip and plate stiffener
Fiberglass rear wheel hugger/chain guard
Ohlins rear shock with dust cover
Givi side stand foot enlarger
12 volt power port on rear cowl
Dale’s skid plate for awhile but since removed
Honda centerstand
Honda lower cowl air deflectors.

Here are some of my NC700X modifications; I probably forgot a few. Parts were purchased at various outlets based on availability and price. The bike now suits my needs and I have no need for further modification. The two things I would change if I could would be to have belt or shaft drive instead of chain drive, and to have a larger fuel tank.

All ten painted body panels repainted from Honda’s grey to Ford “Lime Squeeze” color
Front fender extender
Radiator guard
Givi engine guards
Folding highway pegs
Dedicated frunk key/knob
Dual note Fiamm Horns
CTX clutch cable
CTX throttle cables
Cycle Gear handguards
Oxford heated hand grips
Headlight modulator
Rotopax fuel can mount
Kappa K22N side cases
Kappa top case
Honda centerstand
Wow! Got a picture of it?

What if any is the benefit over the NC cables?
The CTX clutch cable is 100 mm longer than that of the NC700X, while the CTX throttle cables are 80 mm longer than the NC’s. The longer cables allow NCX handlebar rise over 2” without cable fitment, binding, or routing issues.

Front fender extender
Radiator guard
Givi engine guards
Folding highway pegs
Dedicated frunk key/knob
Dual note Fiamm Horns
CTX clutch cable
CTX throttle cables
Cycle Gear handguards
Oxford heated hand grips
Headlight modulator
Rotopax fuel can mount
Kappa K22N side cases
Kappa top case
Honda centerstand

Wow ! That is some list! I would love to see pictures of your bike! Thanks for the list!
Tom

Thanks, Tom
Re: ergonomics, SW Motech Ion Footpegs (2cm lower) and Rox (or similar) Handlebar Risers raise c.2". Makes a lot of difference. The MGV85TT does look awesome though

Hey TC Ferret from the CB 1100 forum here.

Here is my one year ownership review you might like to read

Thanks, Tom
The V85 is a good looking bike. The ergos are just about spot on for me at 6' 02", 34" inseam. I was talking to the local dealer about them last week. A couple of things that I did not like about the bike is that it is air cooled, dry clutch and the quick shifter is not available for the V85.

I kind of like that the V85 is air cooled, one thing less to worry about with a radiator and water pump. Not that they fail often or get damaged, but they could. I did like the ergo's as well when I sat on one! I also like that it has cruise control too.

Back