• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thinking about buying a NC750X, expert advice from owners

I kind of like that the V85 is air cooled, one thing less to worry about with a radiator and water pump. Not that they fail often or get damaged, but they could. I did like the ergo's as well when I sat on one! I also like that it has cruise control too.
Completely understand your take on air cooled. Appreciate the perspective. Cruise is a nice option that I did not think I would really want. After my last trip I've changed my tune a little bit. But I have to say that the absence of DCT or a quick shifter is a deal breaker for me. But man alive is it ever a good-looking bike, especially the 100th anniversary trim level.

I kind of like that the V85 is air cooled, one thing less to worry about with a radiator and water pump. Not that they fail often or get damaged, but they could. I did like the ergo's as well when I sat on one! I also like that it has cruise control too.
It’s amazing the MG manages to pass Euro 5 emissions while remaining air cooled.

and it has shaft drive. If it wasn't for the miserable dealer situation the V85 could have been a contender for me as well, but I'm the kind of guy that has to rely on dealers for maintenance and things. Plus I've ridden several Moto Guzzi's including my nephews V7, a Griso, and an Eldorado and I'm just not Guzzi material. Too quirky for me.

and it has shaft drive. If it wasn't for the miserable dealer situation the V85 could have been a contender for me as well, but I'm the kind of guy that has to rely on dealers for maintenance and things. Plus I've ridden several Moto Guzzi's including my nephews V7, a Griso, and an Eldorado and I'm just not Guzzi material. Too quirky for me.
Quirky is character?

The V85 is a good looking bike. The ergos are just about spot on for me at 6' 02", 34" inseam. I was talking to the local dealer about them last week. A couple of things that I did not like about the bike is that it is air cooled, dry clutch and the quick shifter is not available for the V85.
What's the matter with a dry clutch?

My last bike was an Africa Twin DCT 2016. Great bike, but just too big for my needs. Similar riding compared to yours. Small 1-3 hours rides, occasional gravel/forest roads, 1 or 2 longer trip a year, no passenger 95% of the time. Tried the CB500X. Comfy, but not enough power and too buzzy. NC seems like the perfect size/ratio for me (5'10"). Comfort was reach by adding 40mm lower pegs, 30mm up and 20mm backward risers and the givi tall windscreen with Puig deflector on top.

The NC is not a dull bike at all for me. I love the low end grunt and I find it very fun to ride. I tried a 2020 and a 2021, both DCT's (love the DCT). For me, the 2020 is a bit more comfortable because of the higher suspension travel, but I prefer the look, the new features and especially the added power and riding modes of the 2021. I found the 2020 less lively, more tame, so I went for the 2021. I found one like new with 300 miles and still 9 months of warranty for $1800 less than a new one. I still have to sort out how to make the suspension a little bit more composed and comfortable, and I'm looking for options. I must say that I adjusted the rear shock to position #4 (#3 out of factory) and it makes a difference for me (200lbs fully geared).

I dont regret at all buying the NC. Great all rounder for me, considering my riding style. Can't go wrong with a NC, but you need to test ride one before. Alternative for me, for a bit less $, was the Versys 650. Tried one, almost bought one, but I found the NC more nimble, less buzzy, and with a DCT transmission. Considered also the 890 Adventure (crazy fun to ride, but very little wind protection), the F900XR (also fun to ride, but some reliability issues), and the Aprilia Tuareg (no test ride, but my dealer said they had to wait 3 months for oil filters and sometimes 6 months for parts), but all were between $6000 to $8000 more than the NC... Hope you'll find the right bike for you. Happy riding.

Back