• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Third Annual Florida NC700X RTE 10/18/2014

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Clear your calendars for this exciting event, the oldest gathering of such bikes anywhere in the world!

More will be revealed soon as to where the event will actually be. The previous two were in Altoona, FL and Lake Weir, FL primarily because the roads are good near there and the venue was somewhat central to participants coming from north FL, Melbourne, Orlando, and the Tampa area. I'm open to suggestions.

TAFNCRTE14!

Because of El Nino warm weather and rains, the fall foliage in New Hampshire and Maine is predicted to be late this year (normally last week of September and 1st week of October). This could just work out perfect for me this year if the foliage is a little late. This would put my trip to the White Mountains a few weeks later this year, which would be prefect for a run down I-95 to Florida. Maybe all if fit together this year, if I don't get lost in the tunnels under Boston!

Last edited:
I think that Saturday, October 18th is a great date for the RTE.

How about Solomon's Castle in Ona, FL. http://www.solomonscastle.org/default.htm. I've been there with the South Florida Riders' Club and we had a great time. Worth the visit.

We could have lunch at the Boat in a Moat restaurant (which is very nice and has great home cooked food.) and tour the grounds. If you wished to tour the castle it is $10 admission.

This is also the weekend of the Daytona Biketober Fest and the AIM Expo in Orlando.

We just need to mention it in posts on a regular basis and keep it in view. I favor Lake Weir like last year, also I'll throw in the Coney Island Drive-In in Brooksville for consideration. My opinion is there need to be good roads nearby for a ride and relatively central to Daytona, Orlando, Tampa.

Maybe Big Thump can work on a ride near Dade City.

Trying to get interest for a ride on another bike without a lot of owners I left word at a few dealers. A few people showed up who had never been on the forum for the bike. Leave word at a few Florida dealers preferably a flyer for their bulletin boards and you may get some interest.

I'm surprised there is no Facebook group for NCXers (there are, but they're not for the English-speaking population). The car I drive has a dedicated group and I get a wealth of information on news, mods, meets, etc this way from fellow enthusiasts - it's much easier to publicize something like this there than here.

Unless the average audience for this bike doesn't have a Facebook profile, it would be the way to go to promote it. Just a suggestion.

EDIT: Scratch that. After posting this I did a more thorough search and found one. It's a closed group though, so might be worth joining that to gather interest.

Last edited:
Coney Island is situated with great roads in the area! That would get my vote! However, I am up for anywhere really. A ride is fine with me if anyone is interested. Maybe best decided after we decide on where we will meet.

I enjoyed the ride last year and can probably make it this year. Gator Joes was fine, but I am ok with any destination chosen. Would you consider Cedar Key?
Hey Bill, glad to see your post. I've been wondering how you've been.

Cedar Key itself and the way there is a nice day ride for us but the roads nearby are kind of far down my list of "fun roads". I keep hearing about roads near Dade City where there are some hills and elevation changes. I've not been on roads south of 50 much and I'd like to learn some around there.

Can anyone speak for Smitty's Smokehouse & Grill, Pearl in the Grove, other Dade City area eateries?

Hey Bill, glad to see your post. I've been wondering how you've been.

Cedar Key itself and the way there is a nice day ride for us but the roads nearby are kind of far down my list of "fun roads". I keep hearing about roads near Dade City where there are some hills and elevation changes. I've not been on roads south of 50 much and I'd like to learn some around there.

Can anyone speak for Smitty's Smokehouse & Grill, Pearl in the Grove, other Dade City area eateries?

I like Smitty's. I like the food but I like the people more. It used to be an old Hardee's and then a Chinese restaurant. The people are friendly and I like eating there but it may not be an RTE kind of place for everyone. It does lack the Gator Joe's type of view. The guy that owns the Pearl in the Grove now has a place in San Antonio called 'The Locale' or something like that. I've been to both and the San Antonio place would be better. And, please, don't mention the 'On Q' BBQ place. The pork is like cat food. To finish the list there is Pancho's Villa also in San Ann. Nice but it doesn't hold too many people. There are always bikers there. I can't speak to Kokopellis. I haven't eaten there since they got new owners.

Now there are some nice roads around Dade City/San Antonio. Nice for Florida at least. Start at US 301 and Trilby road (a little south of SR 50 and right next to the Madstad plant). Heading west on Trilby Road takes you some small rolling hills with 100 times more cows than cars. There are options at this point, but one option is to take Trilby Rd south to Blanton Rd. Then Blanton Rd west to James Rd to Jessamine Rd south until it become Curley Rd. There are some clean curves there and you can see what is coming. Then Curley all the way south to San Antonio. Pasco Rd between San Antonio and I-75 has its share of turns but it also has its share of driveways.

Saturday is good! Brick road in front of Kokopellis and parking lot on side of building. If we decide on that locale for lunch meet, I can give them a heads up of how many riders will be there. I usually just saddle up to the bar which is unique in itself and there are tables in the bar area. They hold an old time car show in downtown Dade city on the 1st saturday of every month, but that should not affect our date for meet up. Again, I am good with anywhere though. Ditto on all the roads WCMike mentioned in the area.

Playing around with Mapsource and Google I made a loop of about 60 miles but a third of it is 471. The Green Swamp to the east requires a long ride around it as I didn't see any other paved roads through it. Is it possible to come up with a ride of 40 to 50 miles, a loop of an hour to hour and some, that starts and finishes near Dade City/San Antonio?

Otherwise I'm leaning to Brooksville Coney Island.

Is the Coney Island still open? I saw a report where the owner sold it this past spring.

I can check it out this weekend. I went by it last weekend and it looked open but doesn't hurt to make sure. Hotdog run is always good!

Back