• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

This is killing me

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got back home today from a 165 mile ride and my bike has 7,741 miles on the current oil and filter. When I changed it last in May of 2022 I told myself I would try to go the full 8,000 miles before changing it. I have had the new oil and filters (DCT filter will be changed this time) for a while just waiting for 8,000 to arrive. I used to change the NC's oil around 5,000 or 6,000 miles but I've gradually increased the mileage interval and now this is the longest I've gone. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so maybe after church I'll do it anyway. What's 259 miles?

I got back home today from a 165 mile ride and my bike has 7,741 miles on the current oil and filter. When I changed it last in May of 2022 I told myself I would try to go the full 8,000 miles before changing it. I have had the new oil and filters (DCT filter will be changed this time) for a while just waiting for 8,000 to arrive. I used to change the NC's oil around 5,000 or 6,000 miles but I've gradually increased the mileage interval and now this is the longest I've gone. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so maybe after church I'll do it anyway. What's 259 miles?
My car and van usually call for oil change around 9500 miles. 8000 on the NC or the Goldwing seems a little short by comparison. My NC currently has 7100 miles on the oil. I wait comfortably and patiently until 8000. No need to waste time or product doing it unnecessarily sooner.

Edit to add: I thought about this more. I use critical thinking on most aspects of life. I reason that the manufacturer used an engineering method to arrive at a safe oil change interval recommendation for even the worst scenario. As I have followed those manufacturer recommendations for many years on many machines and experienced no engine problems or failures related to lubrication, it is therefore illogical for me to change the oil any sooner. There is no evidence that supports reason to change my NC’s oil before 8000 miles.

Some people change the oil early supposedly for peace of mind. However, I understand that peace of mind is a human emotional state, and has no impact on the engine’s longevity.

My car and van usually call for oil change around 9500 miles. 8000 on the NC or the Goldwing seems a little short by comparison. My NC currently has 7100 miles on the oil. I wait comfortably and patiently until 8000. No need to waste time or product doing it unnecessarily sooner.

Edit to add: I thought about this more. I use critical thinking on most aspects of life. I reason that the manufacturer used an engineering method to arrive at a safe oil change interval recommendation for even the worst scenarios. As I have followed those manufacturer recommendations for many years on many machines and experienced no engine problems or failures related to lubrication, it is therefore illogical for me to change the oil any sooner. There is no evidence that supports reason to change my NC’s oil before 8000 miles.

Some people change the oil early supposedly for peace of mind. However, I understand that peace of mind is a human emotional state, and has no impact on the engine’s longevity.
Given your reasoning that the manufacturer knew best when giving oil recommendations how do you square up using 5w40 on all the ICE engines you possess? Does the owner's manuals for each one specify 5w40 non spark engine certified oil? Or do you substitute your reasoning in place of the manufacturer's engineering method and recommendations?

Given your reasoning that the manufacturer knew best when giving oil recommendations how do you square up using 5w40 on all the ICE engines you possess? Does the owner's manuals for each one specify 5w40 non spark engine certified oil? Or do you substitute your reasoning in place of the manufacturer's engineering method and recommendations?
I’m not sure where you got that; I absolutely do not use 5W-40 in all the ICE engines I possess. I have 8 oil types in my personal stock right now: 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, and 10W-40 automotive oils, 10W-30 and 10W-40 motorcycle oils, and 15W-40 diesel engine oil (only for the diesel tractor). Come to think of it, I don’t even have or have ever used 5W-40. Every engine I have gets exactly the oil recommended by it’s manufacturer. You are apparently confusing me with someone else. If you can find a post where I ever said I use 5W-40 in all my engines, please share.

To substitute oil types without intense engineering analysis, and/or thinking I have lubricant specialty knowledge beyond that of the engine manufacturer would be totally illogical.

My new sedan does not give any information about any scheduled maintenance. And I haven't been able to find that information anywhere. All it says in the manual is " you will see the Maintenance Minder messages appear on the driver information interface..." That's it. I haven't been able to digest it yet.

I’m not sure where you got that; I absolutely do not use 5W-40 in all the ICE engines I possess. I have 8 oil types in my personal stock right now: 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, and 10W-40 automotive oils, 10W-30 and 10W-40 motorcycle oils, and 15W-40 diesel engine oil (only for the diesel tractor). Come to think of it, I don’t even have or have ever used 5W-40. Every engine I have gets exactly the oil recommended by it’s manufacturer. You are apparently confusing me with someone else. If you can find a post where I ever said I use 5W-40 in all my engines, please share.

To substitute oil types without intense engineering analysis, and/or thinking I have lubricant specialty knowledge beyond that of the engine manufacturer would be totally illogical.
I’m sorry. I thought you had posted previously that you use 5W40 Rotella in all your ICE engines. Faulty memory on my part. Must have someone else.

My new sedan does not give any information about any scheduled maintenance. And I haven't been able to find that information anywhere. All it says in the manual is " you will see the Maintenance Minder messages appear on the driver information interface..." That's it. I haven't been able to digest it yet.
Not that the maintenance intervals are a mystery on my Cadillac, but the oil life monitor is supposed to inform the driver of the percentage of oil life left based on the way the vehicle has been driven and under what conditions. It is uspposed to prompt the operator to change oil at an increased cadence than recommended if towing, idlng, accelerating hard, etc. That would be very unsettling to me...I am the guy that 670 described as illogically changing my oil at intervals earlier than recommended, and now am questioning every decision I've ever made in life.

My Honda Ridgeline has a maintenance minder that counts down percentage oil life remaining. Apparently it takes into account many operating variables, but miles driven is not one of them. There is a paper written on the theories and design work behind it and how it is smarter than a simple mileage interval. One thing I noted with interest is that it accounts for the worst case scenario where the owner uses the “cheapest” oil available that meets Honda’s specs.

If it were me, and it was a rainy day and you have time in the garage, I'd go ahead and change it. Like you said what's 259 miles.... and besides the next 5 days might be nice and I wouldn't want to waste a nice day changing oil. I'd rather be riding.

My Honda Ridgeline has a maintenance minder that counts down percentage oil life remaining. ...
Yes, mine is a Honda too. I'm curious how advanced their monitoring system is and what they would do with such information. Today, every information about user is for sale. This may become clearer after some use.

Yes, mine is a Honda too. I'm curious how advanced their monitoring system is and what they would do with such information. Today, every information about user is for sale. This may become clearer after some use.
My Ridgeline has no radio based communication back to Honda and the truck has never been back to a dealer since I bought it 6 years ago. I don’t think their intent is to collect user info, but if they are, they don’t have mine.

...I don’t think their intent is to collect user info, but if they are, they don’t have mine.
I have no basis yet on what information Honda may collect. For starters, they recommend using their HondaLink Service app which has a connection to the vehicle's infocenter. I don't mind if they take over the maintenance reminder for me if it makes technical sense.

I have no basis yet on what information Honda may collect. For starters, they recommend using their HondaLink Service app which has a connection to the vehicle's infocenter. I don't mind if they take over the maintenance reminder for me if it makes technical sense.
Lucky me, my Honda has no real “info center” that I know of, nor do I use any app of theirs. The Ridgeline electronics are a bit outdated, but I think that’s a good thing.

Lucky me, my Honda has no real “info center” ...
I've been cut off from what's new in the automotive world for over 20 years. Now I see that what was only recently available only in more luxurious vehicles is now more and more widely available, whether you like it or not. Competition in this market is quite positive for the user.

Also a Honda Ridgeline owner too. My 2010 counts down by percentage and I have the oil changed when it tells me to. It's amazing how basic my truck is compared to my wife's Highlander. I don't have lane assist, or traction control, or back up camera, or blue tooth connectivity or GPS, or that fancy cruise control that automatically slows you down, and not having all that's ok with me. I do have a 6 disc CD player although I rarely ever play it.

V
Also a Honda Ridgeline owner too. My 2010 counts down by percentage and I have the oil changed when it tells me to. It's amazing how basic my truck is compared to my wife's Highlander. I don't have lane assist, or traction control, or back up camera, or blue tooth connectivity or GPS, or that fancy cruise control that automatically slows you down, and not having all that's ok with me. I do have a 6 disc CD player although I rarely ever play it.
Very soon, some consumer of this forum will undoubtedly ask "what is a CD player?"

Very soon, some consumer of this forum will undoubtedly ask "what is a CD player?"
I just noticed about a month ago that my 2022 F150 does not have a CD player, after owning it for 5 months. I switched to using a thumb drive for music years ago. I suppose I could use Pandora with Apple car play, but it kills a phone battery pretty quick….

Edit to add: I thought about this more. I use critical thinking on most aspects of life. I reason that the manufacturer used an engineering method to arrive at a safe oil change interval recommendation for even the worst scenario. As I have followed those manufacturer recommendations for many years on many machines and experienced no engine problems or failures related to lubrication, it is therefore illogical for me to change the oil any sooner. There is no evidence that supports reason to change my NC’s oil before 8000 miles.

I'd add that those intervals are based on an engine that is run on a regular basis; a rider in Florida can likely get out all year and burn any contaminants that are in the oil. Here in Flagstaff, we had 13 feet of snow over the winter and The Toaster is just now getting ready to come out of hibernation, starting with the annual post-freeze oil change.

Back