• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

This is killing me

d95f19cd051bb264a69ba7ff7a807522.jpg

I caved under the intense emotional pressure of seeking peace of mind. Only made 7744 miles on the oil change.
Sending that oil to a lab, such as Blackstone, would be informational.

I caved under the intense emotional pressure of seeking peace of mind. Only made 7744 miles on the oil change.
That's it ... we're doomed. One of the seven signs of the Apocalypse; frogs and locusts; cats and dogs playing with each other; Democrats and Republicans going to the movies together. The End Times are upon us.

Sending that oil to a lab, such as Blackstone, would be informational.

My last report suggested going to 9500 miles for next oil change. I might take it to 10,000, easier to remember. I had about 82,000 miles on engine when tested.

IMG_0182.jpeg

Last edited:
My last report suggested going to 9500 miles for next oil change. I might take it to 10,000, easier to remember. I had about 82,000 miles on engine when tested.

View attachment 51784
I have a Blackstone sample kit sitting on my workbench, thinking I would test my truck’s oil. However, I’m not really inpressed with this report, so I’m having second thoughts. The comments just talk about the engine’s state of wear. I will want to know primarily comments about the condition of my oil after so many miles or so much time. That’s why I’m sending in a sample, to test the oil. Can Blackstone even tell the difference between oil that’s been used 1,000 miles vs 10,000, or do they just look at the amount of fuel, antifreeze, water, and metals found?

I also noted that you are not using an oil type or viscosity recommended by Honda for the NC series engine, but of course, an owner is free to choose.

I have a Blackstone sample kit sitting on my workbench, thinking I would test my truck’s oil. However, I’m not really inpressed with this report, so I’m having second thoughts. The comments just talk about the engine’s state of wear. I will want to know primarily comments about the condition of my oil after so many miles or so much time. That’s why I’m sending in a sample, to test the oil. Can Blackstone even tell the difference between oil that’s been used 1,000 miles vs 10,000, or do they just look at the amount of fuel, antifreeze, water, and metals found?

I also noted that you are not using an oil type or viscosity recommended by Honda for the NC series engine, but of course, an owner is free to choose.
As I see it, engine wear is a direct correlation to the performance of the oil and the comments are relative. I’ve had other Blackstone reports where comments discussed oil shear which is indicated by the viscosity part of the report. And ya, they have to go by your reported miles and can’t judge mileage on oil, just how the oil is performing based on a large database of average values. The Blackstone website and BobtheOilGuy websites go into more detail. This was my first test on this bike but the thing to do is retest the same bike as time goes on, Then the discussion goes to how your engine is wearing as mileage over the years increases. The reports are not an end-all, tell-all but can give you a heads up if something is going on. Rotella for the win , but ya, it would be interesting to compare against the recommended oil.

As I see it, engine wear is a direct correlation to the performance of the oil and the comments are relative. I’ve had other Blackstone reports where comments discussed oil shear which is indicated by the viscosity part of the report. And ya, they have to go by your reported miles and can’t judge mileage on oil, just how the oil is performing based on a large database of average values. The Blackstone website and BobtheOilGuy websites go into more detail. This was my first test on this bike but the thing to do is retest the same bike as time goes on, Then the discussion goes to how your engine is wearing as mileage over the years increases. The reports are not an end-all, tell-all but can give you a heads up if something is going on. Rotella for the win , but ya, it would be interesting to compare against the recommended oil.
This has been helpful and enlightening. I want to send in an oil sample that has been in an engine 3 or 4 years, to see if it is any different than an oil that’s been in an engine 1 year or less. I had no intention of telling them the time or mileage on the oil. That is what I want them to tell me. It appears Blackstone cannot help me with my quest. This discussion saved me $35.

I just dont worry about it. I change the oil as scheduled by the manufacturer with oil specified by the manufacturer, and figure it's going to last 100K miles or until I decide to buy another different bike. So far, it's worked out ok.

With computer AI, FI engines are very fuel efficient to HP output. They even let the owner know when it's time for any maintenance.
I run full synthetic in all my engines, big and small, except the NC DCT; I stick with standard GN4 10W-30.

With computer AI, FI engines are very fuel efficient to HP output. They even let the owner know when it's time for any maintenance.
I run full synthetic in all my engines, big and small, except the NC DCT; I stick with standard GN4 10W-30.
Same.. :cool: :cool:

I’m sorry. I thought you had posted previously that you use 5W40 Rotella in all your ICE engines. Faulty memory on my part. Must have someone else.
Many ST1300 owners and myself ran Rotella, which actually is the recommended oil for diesel engines.

Many ST1300 owners and myself ran Rotella, which actually is the recommended oil for diesel engines.
I also ran Rotella 15w40 for a long time in my ST1300. Something like 70 or 80,00 miles. Honda allowed 15w40 in that bike.

But the US standards for on road diesel engine emissions changed in late 2016. Engine manufacturers had to meet much lower emissions and had to install catalytic converters among other changes. Cats are easily clogged by particulates of ash in exhaust gases. Oil mfgs had to change the diesel oil formulations to cut out the previous formulations that contained very high levels of zinc and phosphates that made Rotella such a good oil for engines with tappet valve trains because they create lots of ash. The new formula from 2017 is no longer certified for gas engine use. If a diesel oil is rated API CK-4 it no longer has an additive pack with high zinc & phosphates. It's not the same oil we used in the 2000s and 20teens.

Rotella 15w40 and 5w40 has such a following that the above means nothing to many people and they still run it thinking it's the same oil as before. People like to save money and not read owner's manuals so it doesn't matter to them.

I also ran Rotella 15w40 for a long time in my ST1300. Something like 70 or 80,00 miles. Honda allowed 15w40 in that bike.

But the US standards for on road diesel engine emissions changed in late 2016. Engine manufacturers had to meet much lower emissions and had to install catalytic converters among other changes. Cats are easily clogged by particulates of ash in exhaust gases. Oil mfgs had to change the diesel oil formulations to cut out the previous formulations that contained very high levels of zinc and phosphates that made Rotella such a good oil for engines with tappet valve trains because they create lots of ash. The new formula from 2017 is no longer certified for gas engine use. If a diesel oil is rated API CK-4 it no longer has an additive pack with high zinc & phosphates. It's not the same oil we used in the 2000s and 20teens.

Rotella 15w40 and 5w40 has such a following that the above means nothing to many people and they still run it thinking it's the same oil as before. People like to save money and not read owner's manuals so it doesn't matter to them.
Rotella T4 &T6 are currently JASO-MA certified which is what Honda recommends.

In addition Honda specs API SN or wherever it’s at now, for gasoline engines. Does the T6 have that certification?

In addition Honda specs API SN or wherever it’s at now, for gasoline engines. Does the T6 have that certification?
No it no longer carries SG or higher API certs. Re comment on reading owner's manuals. I should have included oil container labels.

Forums have an endless supply of "it meets JASO MA" but ignoring the other two recommendations of viscosity and API certification.

No, unfortunately, they are not, and have not been for years (if they ever were). Here is the list of JASO-certified oils. It was last updated on June 1st, 2023, and no Rotella product is on it:

I personally expect that Rotella T6 _DOES_ meet the dynamic and static friction parameters, and the stop-time index, laid out under JASO MA. Really the only quibble here is whether Rotella is suitable any longer for use in gasoline engines. In that, too, I'm not totally convinced it is un-suitable. However, it is not certified to any gasoline standard any more, nor does Shell even claim 'suitability for' gasoline engines.

As a possibly-only-semantic point--
Shell claims that those Rotella products meet JASO MA, but JASO T 903 (the MA and MB standard) _also_ requires at least one of the following certifications, which Rotella lacks:

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM, SN
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3

Last edited:
My Lincoln Navigator has that annoying oil change reminder too like I am too dumb to know when to change it. To keep it simple I change all my oils a 5k miles and go by the miles on the speedo. 130k, 135, 140, 145 etc............very simple.

Back