• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thoughts on 1988 Honda NX650 as a buy?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I saw nice (to me) 1988 Honda NX650, 12K miles, $2,800, title in hand (Facebook Market). Your thoughts?
I think it's in the same category as KLR or Himalayan (not powerwise, rather for long rides cross country with occasional gravel/fire roads, some easy stuff...).

Thanks.

I have a Dominator from that era (1989) and it is very clean, almost pristine. As such I believe the price being asked for yours is too much. It has been resprayed and the mileage doesn't add up to the condition. I have seen Your photos on ADV rider and I have seen many other original models on there in far better condition for decent prices. Have a look back and You will see them.

Imho the Dominator model is good for the purpose that You state. It is a fun bike on a backroad also.

In my opinion parts availability is the problem with older Hondas. Bikes out of production 10 years or more can be a problem. Combine that with the current supply chain disruptions and things become made from unobtanium. Maybe this one for a collection bike or museum piece but not for riding. A buddy of mine bought a much newer XL650 for less than $2000 not long ago and parts are still available for a while yet.

Tbh the only real problem with a well maintained Dominator is the CDI box which can be troublesome. However there are companies out there who can supply replacement units at reasonable prices. The other item to look out for is to keep the oil topped up. If they are well maintained the motors are strong. The unobtainable items are mostly bodywork related but Carb rubbers can also be difficult to find. Some nice photos on this page of folks touring the Alps on Doms. They are popular in Europe for such pursuits and indeed I have occasionally been approached about selling mine. There is currently a small queue in place if I ever decide to do so.

Tbh the only real problem with a well maintained Dominator is the CDI box which can be troublesome. However there are companies out there who can supply replacement units at reasonable prices. The other item to look out for is to keep the oil topped up. If they are well maintained the motors are strong. The unobtainable items are mostly bodywork related but Carb rubbers can also be difficult to find. Some nice photos on this page of folks touring the Alps on Doms. They are popular in Europe for such pursuits and indeed I have occasionally been approached about selling mine. There is currently a small queue in place if I ever decide to do so.
However popular in Europe it was only sold a year or two in the US over 30 years ago.

I have a Dominator from that era (1989) and it is very clean, almost pristine. As such I believe the price being asked for yours is too much. It has been resprayed and the mileage doesn't add up to the condition. I have seen Your photos on ADV rider and I have seen many other original models on there in far better condition for decent prices. Have a look back and You will see them.

Imho the Dominator model is good for the purpose that You state. It is a fun bike on a backroad also.
That's my thought too, but not much experienced in "setting the price" department.
Actually, I suck! :(

Thanks Griff

In my opinion parts availability is the problem with older Hondas. Bikes out of production 10 years or more can be a problem. Combine that with the current supply chain disruptions and things become made from unobtanium. Maybe this one for a collection bike or museum piece but not for riding.
Yes, you're right. It's not for what was I looking for.

A buddy of mine bought a much newer XL650 for less than $2000 not long ago and parts are still available for a while yet.
That's funny: for the first couple months, and the last month, I'm checking several times a day Craig's list, Facebook Market, Cycle Trader - and never found a good deal (im my eyes good deal)? I wonder what am I doing wrong? I would like to buy CRF250L, or DR-Z, KLX250... Something smaller to learn to ride off-road. Or KLR650 or Himalayan so I can make trips for several days. But everything I found between $2,000-$3,000 is already really old (see, I'm posting about the Dominator :D) and usually in such a suspicious condition that required some work and more money...

Regarding XR650, I was thinking about this bike. I really like it. But I, as an inexperienced rider, I'm afraid of its hight - 37". And I read that its seat is like a brick, I wouldn't be able to ride it more than an hour or so?

:(

Learning to ride off road (off road doesn’t mean dirt of gravel roads, it means no road) on an XR650 doesn’t sound fun or safe to me. I’d stay with 400cc or less. Pay attention to weights and seat heights (unless you have a long inseam).

My dirt bikes were not street legal, but they were 144cc and weighed around 218 pounds. They were tons of fun, so easy to handle, and had plenty of power for dirt. Since you’re needing street capabillity, the weights will be more like 300+ pounds and you’d want at least 250cc for the street.

You also mentioned the Himalayan and it might be worth a look. For the past few years I have used the Honda CRF250L (now replaced with a 300L) and it was a great little bike. Capable offroad and with a realistic 60mph cruising speed on the road.

Learning to ride off road (off road doesn’t mean dirt of gravel roads, it means no road) ...
We discussed once about this and don't want to open the same can of worms. Grammatically, language wise, you're correct. But 90% (if not 99%) of bikers (and riders too) will not agree with you. ANd if you ask them about the off-road riding they will tell you the same , gravel, fire-roads, sand, riverbeds, mud...
Wikipedia: off-roading

... on an XR650 doesn’t sound fun or safe to me. I’d stay with 400cc or less. Pay attention to weights and seat heights (unless you have a long inseam).
Yes, that's what am I afraid off. And why I would prefer 250cc.

My dirt bikes were not street legal, but they were 144cc and weighed around 218 pounds. They were tons of fun, so easy to handle, and had plenty of power for dirt. Since you’re needing street capabillity, the weights will be more like 300+ pounds and you’d want at least 250cc for the street.
I'm not interested into non street legal because sometimes I would like to ride to the nice location where I can use non-street legal bike.

Last edited:
You also mentioned the Himalayan and it might be worth a look. For the past few years I have used the Honda CRF250L (now replaced with a 300L) and it was a great little bike. Capable offroad and with a realistic 60mph cruising speed on the road.
I hope after CRF300L is on the Market, more used 250L will be on Market too
:D

We discussed once about this and don't want to open the same can of worms. Grammatically, language wise, you 're correct. But 90% (if not 99%) of bikers (and riders too) will not agree with you. ANd if you ask them about the off-road riding they will tell you the same , gravel, fire-roads, sand, riverbeds, mud...
Wikipedia: off-roading
Yes, I see your point and I have seen the wikipedia definition. (I can ride a Goldwing 1800 with a passenger on a decent gravel forest road, so it's an off road bike). I just need to think differently as to how others view "off-road" and get in tune with their way of thinking.

I'm not interested into non street legal because sometimes I would like to ride to the nice location where I can use non-street legal bike.
I understand you are not looking for non-street legal. I was trying to illustrate how much more fun a lightweight, if lesser powered, bike can be off pavement, as opposed to a heavy, tall 650.

Yes, I see your point and I have seen the wikipedia definituion. (I can ride a Goldwing 1800 with a passenger on a decent gravel forest road, so it's an off road bike).
Riding Goldwing off-road (your or my version, regardless) doesn't make it off-road bike. I never said that. And if we follow this logic Honda Trail is an Adventure bike too, right? :D
Hitting a nail into wood using lead pipe doesn't mean the pipe is a hammer, right?

I just need to think differently as to how others view "off-road" and get in tune with their way of thinking.
You can/should think how you want, that's your right. As much as other 9 of 10 people ;)

I understand you are not looking for non-street legal. I was trying to illustrate how much more fun a lightweight, if lesser powered, bike can be off pavement, as opposed to a heavy, tall 650.
Oh, didn't get that. Yes, you're totally right. Agree. I didn't ride smaller bike (other than test rides) but I definitely have more fun on my NC700X than ST1100 :D

In a lot of states you can modify a dirtbike with the requisite parts and register it, and get plates for street use. All you need are turn signals, headlight with switchable high beam, an odometer, and brake lights.

I bought a DR-Z400S last year and I love it. I sometimes think it would be nice to have an even smaller bike. 310lbs is tough to pick up on the wrong angle. Especially by yourself!

In a lot of states you can modify a dirtbike with the requisite parts and register it, and get plates for street use. All you need are turn signals, headlight with switchable high beam, an odometer, and brake lights.

I bought a DR-Z400S last year and I love it. I sometimes think it would be nice to have an even smaller bike. 310lbs is tough to pick up on the wrong angle. Especially by yourself!
I wish... Sadly Iowa is not one of these. I already asked... :(

Back