• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thoughts on buying a new 2017 NC700X in 2021

JJARAMA

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi .. I could use some advice from NC700 Members ...

REQUEST: I'd appreciate your thoughts on the bike offer below ... and any other advice on what is a reasonable offer for this bike.
Please let me now your thoughts on what is a reasonable offer for this bike -or- is the NC750 a better option?
If an extended warranty a good idea on a new 2017 bike in 2021?

I'm a long-time rider [20+ years] currently big Cruiser & VFR1200F ] ...

I have the opportunity to buy a New [no miles] 2017 NC700X with DCT, Honda Side Bags and Honda Top bag [see pic] plastic Grip Covers, Crash Bars,
The asking price is $8,299 yet its is negotiable
The Seller is the local big motorcycle dealer where I purchased my 2010 VFR years ago and did all my maintenance.

NOTE: I had my knee replaced from hockey injuries and need a lighter bike for commuting and the occasional trip! ... I don't need to go VFR speed any more : -)

Thank you very much

Attachments

• 2017 NC700X DCT.png
    2017 NC700X DCT.png
    565.7 KB · Views: 49
  • NC700 Screen.png
    NC700 Screen.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 46
  • NC700 Bags.png
    NC700 Bags.png
    269.3 KB · Views: 45
Just off the top of my head, this feels pretty spendy. It's appreciably more than I paid Out the Door for my 2018 NC750X DCT (including all fees, taxes, charges etc.) in the spring of 2019.

There's more stuff on it than plain stock but the your first question re: that should be ... "Is that stuff that I really want?" If not, then it's not worth much to you. My personal take on the accessories is that the bags are OK but, generally speaking, there are probably better aftermarket choices depending on your actual wants and needs. The crash bars and grip covers are not of much value protection-wise so I'd replace them both, which means that for me, they'd have to be first removed so have negative value.

As best I can tell, there's not huge differences between the 2017 NC700 and later 750's but there are some differences - enough that I waited and have no regrets there (there's actually a thread here on the differences, so search around if ya want more). As for the value of an extended warranty, I did buy one, so now I repent at leisure.

Seems way over priced, but then it’s a sellers market in these times. I wonder why it hasn’t sold yet after all these years. Price is too high? Another question is whether that is the final price, or do they tack on delivery fee, setup fee, documentation fee, resort fee, Covid-19 surcharge fee, and 12% tip for the housekeepers and wait staff?

I don’t buy extended warranties on anything, but if I did, it sure wouldn’t be on a new Honda motorcycle. I didn’t even use the 1 year warranty for anything on the two new Honda motorcycles I have bought in this century.

If you really want it, and you want the Honda luggage, throw them a lower offer, maybe at least $1000 off. I’d be wanting a brand new battery installed, not something 4 years old. Also consider the tire age. If you buy it and wanted to sell it next week, then at that point it’s an old used 2017 model and worth a lot less.

I think the MSRP was $8299 when it was new 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great feedback ...

What IF:
I can talk them down $1K -to- $2K or more from $8,299, and keep the add-ons ... Is that reasonable or still too much for that vintage ...

I am OK with 'just saying No' : -)

For a big dealer, I noticed their inventory of new bikes on the floor was limited ...
They had many 'new build bikes' from 2016 to 2018 ... I found that strange for BMWs and Hondas.
This 2017 NC700 was one of these vintage new bikes and I took notice because it is the bike I am interested.

From your feedback, I now understand their asking price is as if it was still 2017 and too high ... The young guy on the floor said to me "we expect that price will be lowered"

++ I need bags ... and I'm OK with these - They have sufficient space especially the Top Bag.
++ I want crash bars yet I'll discuss having them removed for a better product or as part of negotiations.
I want the crash bars for additional lighting
I've accidentally tipped my current bike over without crash bars and ruined an expensive Honda plastic saddle bag [$1200 for two].
++ Hand guards are 'nice to have' and have no stake in this.
++ I'd prefer to have the incremental power increase and other improvements of the NC750 yet its not a deal-breaker

I really appreciate your help ... Thanks so much

Jim

In negotiations, I had planned to bring-up all the other issues with a 2017 bike being sold as new ...

Tire age, battery age, all the closure fees [build cost; doc fee, others] ... These are expected in any negotiation ... I thought the consideration of an extended warranty past 1 year [pure profit] might tip the scale.

If they've been holding this inventory this long they're likely motivated to move it.
With those accessories on the bike, make them an offer of $7750 If they will replace the aging battery first. If they push it a bit higher, you will still have a good bike at the end.
There's a strange hubris in walking away from a negotiation with nothing and feeling like you won!

That's my bike! I bought a '17 in '17. Spent a lot more than they're asking apportioning it out. It has well over $1000 in accessories on just the luggage alone. MSRP for that year was ~$7299 for the MT model. I have the OEM bags and handguards and they're pretty decent. Functional, fits the bike just right, and somewhat aerodynamic. Comparatively anyway. Like many bags it would be nice if they are larger, but fill them up and you'll easily exceed the weight ratings for the bike with a passenger, if not also your tires. Ask me how I know!

The crash bar is not a crash bar (if OEM) and is actually a virtually worthless light bar. Ask me how I know! The handguards are decent for blocking wind, but they aren't crash protection. I wouldn't buy fancier handguards for a street bike anyway but you YOLO only once.

Current market conditions and the state of the bike, I would be happy getting that bike for about $6800-7000. I specifically would not buy an extended warranty.

Also, the 2017 red, Candy Red, is immeasurably faster than any other color offered on the NC series. Ask me how I know!

"There's a strange hubris in walking away from a negotiation with nothing and feeling like you won!"
... Words to live by ... I won just by joining this forum

I'll offer $7000 +/-
... and see where this goes

-- Depends on the age of the Battery and Tires
--
Thanks for the clarification on the Light Bar (not a crash bar) ... I'll need cra$h bar$ & light$ aftermarket
-- Depends on added costs closure fees [build cost; doc fee, others]
-- I love the red color and its more visible

The Wife doesn't know yet I'm looking at a 3rd bike : -)
I may need to sell one to free-up space in the garage and deal with relationship issues (not necessarily in that order : -)

This has been amazing help ... I'll probably go see them tomorrow ...

Thanks again

FWIW, Last year, I bought a 2016 bike, essentially identical to this one, except silver. It had the side cases and top box as well. But....I bought it from the original owner and it had 4,100 miles on it, mint condition though. I gave him $6,300 for it before taxes. I looked and looked and couldn't find one anywhere else for any cheaper, especially that was in good shape and didn't have any unwanted mods on it, or dumb stickers, etc. So I felt like that price was well worth it. For this one, brand new, I'd think $7,500 out the door after taxes and fees would probably be a pretty good buy, but that's just me. And my opinion of the 700 vs 750 is that the differences between the two are so negligible that I wouldn't worry about it. Just get the one you like the looks of and for the best deal.

Also note that those Honda accessories (Side cases and top box and all the hardware needed to mount them) is NOT cheap. My 2013 NC did not have any luggage on it when I bought it a couple years ago. I wanted luggage and liked the oem Honda cases the best, so I bought the two side cases, the replacement grab handles and rear rack, and hardware that is needed to mount the oem cases, and it all totaled to be $954.....and that did NOT include the top box! So just know that this bike having the side cases and the top box, certainly should add to the price over what the bike would cost were it bone stock.

Last June I bought a new 2018 NC750XDCT. Honda had held back some bikes every year and released them because of such high demand in the US recently. Does this bike have a very low VIN#? My bike's ends in 000059.

My opinion is that if they are selling it as a new bike you will have the one year factory warranty. So don't compare that price with a used bike no longer under warranty.
You might say Honda's don't need an extended warranty? Sorry, but my experience with the DCT has led me to believe they have more potential for failing than a manual. One under warranty has a significant advantage. Mine just acted up yesterday on a long trip at high speeds (70-80 mph) causing a Check Engine Light, which has since gone away, but I did ride slower on the trip home.

If I were you I'd see if they could get you the bike at that price out the door. That's well over $11,000 retail when you add on all the accessories.

Well I would buy that bike in a heartbeat. I wouldn’t worry about the battery or tires or replacing any of those accessories. Throw him a cash offer and see how low he would be willing to go. And yes it is new so it comes with the 1 year Honda warranty. Don’t overthink this just pull the trigger then get out there and start riding you will be happy you did

JJARAMA, IMO that price would be good for a new, current-model-year NCX with the Honda accessories if it was a final, out-the-door price (meaning including all taxes, license, 'fees,' and everything else). I'm not sure how much American Honda is subsidizing (discounting) these years-old bikes at this point. If you are positive-certain you're keeping it for a long time, then the fact that it's worth quite a lot less than a '21 as soon as you take it off the floor is not really a consideration. If you're unsure, maybe it is. Up to you.

RideNow generally tries to charge at least $1,000 in 'fees,' don't they? My suggestion is: Don't let them add that back onto your offer. Deal with them on an 'out-the-door price' basis.

If you decide to sell your VFR, send me a msg.

FWIW, Last year, I bought a 2016 bike, essentially identical to this one, except silver. It had the side cases and top box as well. But....I bought it from the original owner and it had 4,100 miles on it, mint condition though. I gave him $6,300 for it before taxes. I looked and looked and couldn't find one anywhere else for any cheaper, especially that was in good shape and didn't have any unwanted mods on it, or dumb stickers, etc. So I felt like that price was well worth it. For this one, brand new, I'd think $7,500 out the door after taxes and fees would probably be a pretty good buy, but that's just me. And my opinion of the 700 vs 750 is that the differences between the two are so negligible that I wouldn't worry about it. Just get the one you like the looks of and for the best deal.

Also note that those Honda accessories (Side cases and top box and all the hardware needed to mount them) is NOT cheap. My 2013 NC did not have any luggage on it when I bought it a couple years ago. I wanted luggage and liked the oem Honda cases the best, so I bought the two side cases, the replacement grab handles and rear rack, and hardware that is needed to mount the oem cases, and it all totaled to be $954.....and that did NOT include the top box! So just know that this bike having the side cases and the top box, certainly should add to the price over what the bike would cost were it bone stock.
Thanks TacomaJD ...

I know Honda OEM add-ons are expensive ... Brand new Side & Top Bag; Hand Guards ; and Light/Crash Bars : and DCT ...

I really appreciate the comment on 700 vs 750 .. I've been considering just buying a new 750 to get the extra performance and incremental other changes ...
Maybe not now if this turns out to be a great deal

I mentioned I would start negotiations at $7k yet I assume that may go up.

I love the look of this red one and the DCT ...

Thanks again

JJARAMA, IMO that price would be good for a new, current-model-year NCX with the Honda accessories if it was a final, out-the-door price (meaning including all taxes, license, 'fees,' and everything else). I'm not sure how much American Honda is subsidizing (discounting) these years-old bikes at this point. If you are positive-certain you're keeping it for a long time, then the fact that it's worth quite a lot less than a '21 as soon as you take it off the floor is not really a consideration. If you're unsure, maybe it is. Up to you.

RideNow generally tries to charge at least $1,000 in 'fees,' don't they? My suggestion is: Don't let them add that back onto your offer. Deal with them on an 'out-the-door price' basis.

If you decide to sell your VFR, send me a msg.
Hi MZ5 ...
I was told there are some Honda Incentives ... Yet that was just the sales guy and not confirmed.
As you said ... I need to set an 'out the door' price and negotiate form there.
I may start with a low-ball price of $7K+ yet that's probably low with all the add-ons
And I have verify the tires and battery aren't too old

Somebody said " the minute you walk out the door its a 4 year old bike" : -)

I'm thinking about my 2010 VFR ... Its a phenomenal bike in near perfect condition, never down, with<17K miles ...
I just drive too fast on my VFR and its heavy
I don't really need a new bike ... yet with my knee issue, this NC700 DCT seamed like its worth the time to investigate ...

We'll see ... Thanks for the help.

Last June I bought a new 2018 NC750XDCT. Honda had held back some bikes every year and released them because of such high demand in the US recently. Does this bike have a very low VIN#? My bike's ends in 000059.

My opinion is that if they are selling it as a new bike you will have the one year factory warranty. So don't compare that price with a used bike no longer under warranty.
You might say Honda's don't need an extended warranty? Sorry, but my experience with the DCT has led me to believe they have more potential for failing than a manual. One under warranty has a significant advantage. Mine just acted up yesterday on a long trip at high speeds (70-80 mph) causing a Check Engine Light, which has since gone away, but I did ride slower on the trip home.

If I were you I'd see if they could get you the bike at that price out the door. That's well over $11,000 retail when you add on all the accessories.
SilverRocket ...

The VIN ends in 00028 ... Good advice ... I wont try for a ridiculous low-ball deal .. It's a new Honda with lost of add-ons and no miles ...

QUESTION: Regarding DCT ... Does this 2017 DCT version require software or hardware updates ?

SilverRocket ...

The VIN ends in 00028 ... Good advice ... I wont try for a ridiculous low-ball deal .. It's a new Honda with lost of add-ons and no miles ...

QUESTION: Regarding DCT ... Does this 2017 DCT version require software or hardware updates ?
No, just ride it. None of that is required that I'm aware of. And you'll hear people say that the DCT reset is beneficial to do on a semi-regular basis, but without any evidence other than individual varying experience, I'm not on that bandwagon at all. I have zero plans to do the DCT reset on either of my DCT bikes unless a problem arises and I perform the reset as a way to troubleshoot said problem. Otherwise, I'll just keep riding on as I have been.

UPDATE: : -)

The Title "
a new 2017 NC700X in 2021 " is now changed to " a new 2021 NC750X "

++ I was getting in my car to go buy it and the salesman texted me " Sorry we just sold it "
My fault - Too much thinking and not enough diving-in!!
I was trying to learn as much as possible and it worked against me.

++ So instead I put a refundable $200 down on the a new red 2021 NC750XDM DCT
More money, Less add-ons, yet what appears to be more refined base bike
I expect it around June 2021

I like these upgrades on the 2021

[1] New Display Screen
[2] Larger Storage Box
[3] Improved Seat Comfort (allegedly)
[4] Throttle by Wire with Standard / Sport / Rain torque controls
[6] Higher Red-Line by 600 RPM
[7] ABS linked to rear-to-front brakes

I know I'm just trying to justify me screwing up and not buying the loaded 2017 NC700X
I'll end up spending $1500 more + add-ons [ bigger screen ; broader foot pegs ; Top Bag ]

You live and learn : -)

Working sucks - Pays the bills yet kept me from doing what I should have done

Thanks for all the feedback

Now that I’m somewhat literate on the NC and it’s history ...

I do wish the one I’m buying had [a] belt or shaft drive TFT screen [c] a USB or charging port and [d] larger fuel tank.

I am committed though :- ) ... There will always be an “I wish” list

Back