• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Throttle -by-wire - I

Dragonstale

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2021 NC 750XA. The other day I was riding and all of a sudden my throttle stopped working and check engine light came on. Bike went from 3,000 rpm to idle rpm. I stopped and turned off the bike and restarted it (Chk engine lite still on). It started up no problem and reved normally. I then put it in gear and rode it, all of 500 feet.
Then the rpm’s again dropped to idle speed. I did this several times until I got to a friends house. Took bike home and the next day ~ 24 hours, I turned on the ignition and the check engine lite was off. Started bike and ran it at about 2,500 rpm for about 5 minutes. No repeat of problem.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so what did you do? Is there a way to reset the error without going to dealer?
Help and suggestions appreciated.
Dragonstale in York, PA

I’m a little confused. You said after the 24 hour wait, the check engine light was off, then you ask if you can reset the error without going to a dealer. Is there still an error to reset? If the CEL was on, wouldn’t you want to know what error number or code was reported?

Sorry for the confusion. I am taking my bike to my local Honda dealer but can’t get there for a couple of weeks. Yes I want to know the error code and why this issue happened if possible. Just wondering if there is a way to reset without waiting 24 hrs. I used to have a Triumph Tiger that if an error code happened, there was a way to reset it and keep going.

My 2021 has Throttle-By-Wire and when I spoke to the service manager at my local shop he said probably the throttle was the issue. Because of the symptoms.

Just looked at the specs for the 2021 model....yep, throttle by wire, meaning sensors sending signals to the ecu. If the MIL isn't on, there probably are no codes to check. If the MIL comes back on (check engine light), stop the bike, do not turn off, put bike in neutral, lower the kickstand and count the slow and fast blinks....that will be the code to check in the service manual. I would disconnect the battery, use sand paper or a file and shine up the battery posts and shine up the battery cable connectors. ECUs need a very good electrical current. Weak batteries or dirty connections can play havoc with the ECU.

Just looked at the specs for the 2021 model....yep, throttle by wire, meaning sensors sending signals to the ecu. If the MIL isn't on, there probably are no codes to check. If the MIL comes back on (check engine light), stop the bike, do not turn off, put bike in neutral, lower the kickstand and count the slow and fast blinks....that will be the code to check in the service manual. I would disconnect the battery, use sand paper or a file and shine up the battery posts and shine up the battery cable connectors. ECUs need a very good electrical current. Weak batteries or dirty connections can play havoc with the ECU.
Not sure, but I think Honda took away the sidestand MIL trick on later models (perhaps gone on 2016+?).

With, why would they do that since OBDII don't work on them unless an adapter is used...dang
Customer’s ability to read fault code themselves may have been substituted with something like ”In case of a fault indication, contact your dealer”.

Attached is supposedly from the 2016-2017 NCX service manual. I pulled this photo from another forum thread. Sounds like one would need the special jumper plug tool to read the MIL code for models after 2015.
C0CB2C99-E62D-45C6-9F0F-DD2876463514.png

This is a great example of learning that benefits others. Few will have this problem, but if they do, the solution is simple and DIY. Thanks for posting.

Back