• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tiger 850 & 900

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious if anyone has ridden either of these bikes and would share their opinion. I've see a couple of references here to the 800, which I am not interested in purchasing, but nothing on the 900 0r 850. Thanks, Mike.

I stopped by our local Triumph dealer today. It is hard not to like the way the 900 Gt looks. The build quality is excellent. The ergos are just about right for me. I did feel a riser would make it better. Interesting in that the shop supervisor said it is really challenging to put risers on the bike without changing cables as re-routes create a good risk of pinching. The seat felt good in the showroom. The engine sounds great (not important that it sounds good but I kind of like engine notes). The center stand practically launches the bike up which is a different experience for me as the VFR and the NC both required a little oomph to get her on the stand. One foot, no hands, the bike lifts. It has electronic suspension in the rear. Moving it around the showroom was easier than the NC or the VFR. Seems to be really well balanced. The clutch was really smooth. There are complaints about the display on other forums, but it seemed very well thought out. It is a lot of bike for the money with cruise, cornering ABS, heated passenger and rider seats, heated grips, I ran out of time for a ride but going back tomorrow for ten or twenty miles.

Last edited:
I owned and rode the predecessor Tiger 800R between my '12 NC and '15 NC and I felt it was top heavy especially for my 5'6" build. I never dropped it but I only owned it a year and 13,000 miles. The build quality was excellent and the triple was interesting, at least for a while but I never really bonded with the Triumph. Many would not understand but for the role it played in my stable of bikes I happily went back to a NC.

I owned and rode the predecessor Tiger 800R between my '12 NC and '15 NC and I felt it was top heavy especially for my 5'6" build. I never dropped it but I only owned it a year and 13,000 miles. The build quality was excellent and the triple was interesting, at least for a while but I never really bonded with the Triumph. Many would not understand but for the role it played in my stable of bikes I happily went back to a NC.
The ergos feel better for me as a bigger guy than those on the NC. But the NC is a heck of a lot more affordable even when considering "making it my own." It would not even come close the price of used 900 GT. But, the 850 is a different story. In regards to the top heaviness of the 800, Triumph has tried to address that concern by moving the engine forward and down. I think it is 40MM forward and 20MM down and they say ground clearance was not impacted. It seems that you are not alone thinking about the 800 being top heavy.

So..... how did it ride?
Unfortunately, I did not get to ride it today...and there is a wrinkle. Some of you know that my wife used to ride (her own bike) and she up and threw in the towel out of nowhere earlier this year. No riding on her own, no pillion, only a scooter from here to Publix and around the neighborhood. After that, she was DXed with cancer and she doubled down on not riding (which said to my former Detective-self...she's thinking about getting back in the game). I told her I was planning on riding the Tiger today while she was in chemo. Now she says she might want to ride pillion for some round trips to Miami and Orlando to visit our daughters. So I have to make sure she is going to like the bike. I am going to ride it tomorrow without her since I will be the one riding the bike alone, maybe all of the time, but certainly most of the time. With the holiday her chemo schedule got moved around and another thing I had to do for the family got in the way. I should have a ten-mile ride report tomorrow!

On the cancer, she is going to be fine and there is almost no chance of it coming back. Tell your female significant others to go for their mammograms. With this cancer that she has, a 12 month delayed diagnosis translates into not too much talking about the future. Not trying to sound like a tough guy, but I am scared of nothing (served me well in my law enforcement career). This thing scared me. Anyhow, 7 more chemo visits then radiation and maybe my favorite riding partner will return to two wheels!

This is the bike I’ll be riding. Included pics of me on it for the taller riders to see. 602 235 lbs. 34 inseam 36 sleeve.

Attachments

• 3B842588-EAC0-4133-B587-4C829F6703F5.jpeg
    3B842588-EAC0-4133-B587-4C829F6703F5.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • F4579F4F-5407-448D-A545-0383C994340F.jpeg
    F4579F4F-5407-448D-A545-0383C994340F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • D35F9D80-F73E-40BC-8170-06AABD037A02.jpeg
    D35F9D80-F73E-40BC-8170-06AABD037A02.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
Unfortunately, I did not get to ride it today...and there is a wrinkle. Some of you know that my wife used to ride (her own bike) and she up and threw in the towel out of nowhere earlier this year. No riding on her own, no pillion, only a scooter from here to Publix and around the neighborhood. After that, she was DXed with cancer and she doubled down on not riding (which said to my former Detective-self...she's thinking about getting back in the game). I told her I was planning on riding the Tiger today while she was in chemo. Now she says she might want to ride pillion for some round trips to Miami and Orlando to visit our daughters. So I have to make sure she is going to like the bike. I am going to ride it tomorrow without her since I will be the one riding the bike alone, maybe all of the time, but certainly most of the time. With the holiday her chemo schedule got moved around and another thing I had to do for the family got in the way. I should have a ten-mile ride report tomorrow!

On the cancer, she is going to be fine and there is almost no chance of it coming back. Tell your female significant others to go for their mammograms. With this cancer that she has, a 12 month delayed diagnosis translates into not too much talking about the future. Not trying to sound like a tough guy, but I am scared of nothing (served me well in my law enforcement career). This thing scared me. Anyhow, 7 more chemo visits then radiation and maybe my favorite riding partner will return to two wheels!

This is the bike I’ll be riding. Included pics of me on it for the taller riders to see. 602 235 lbs. 34 inseam 36 sleeve.

Fingers crossed MZ. Best wishes for a full recovery.

My wife also quit riding this year, both as a rider and my passenger of 50 years, and I miss her being back there. Can't blame her though since shes had a hip and 2 knees replaced and had trouble getting on and off the bike, and found it hard to walk after a ride. Its the reason I traded the FJR in for the NC as all my riding is solo now.

Fingers crossed MZ. Best wishes for a full recovery.

My wife also quit riding this year, both as a rider and my passenger of 50 years, and I miss her being back there. Can't blame her though since shes had a hip and 2 knees replaced and had trouble getting on and off the bike, and found it hard to walk after a ride. Its the reason I traded the FJR in for the NC as all my riding is solo now.
Very kind sentiment. Thank you. Sorry for your wife's ailments and I hope she finds a way to get some relief.

I had an18 Tiger 800 XCX. Had a lot of nice features and good power, however I found the engine “vibey” at cruising speeds (it’d blur the mirrors and numb the fingers on a long ride). I had it in the shop, the pronounced it “normal”. Bike was moderately heavy but not bad at all. I liked my old 1050 Tiger a lot more. Sold my 800 after 18 months and about 16k miles and no regrets. I’ve found the bigger (1200 and 1050) and smaller (675) triple to be smoother by far, so I’d watch forthat characteristic on a new midsized Triumph triple. I love the characteristics of a triple, but was less than fully happy with my 800. YMMV

Back