• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Time for chain replacement?

Well I’ve never thought of it as an annoyance or nusiance. I just like to fiddle with stuff and experiment, not much else to mess with on this bike really. I’ve often thought of getting an older bike just to have more to do, but I am limited by garage space and the NC is such a great bike, I hate to give it up. The chain wasn’t very expensive, I bought a simple o ring chain nothing fancy, so maintenance expense really isn’t an issue either. After I get the old chain off, I’ll probably play with it to see if I can get the links to loosen up. I’ll report back what I find.
So I said I would report back….
A year and 4500 miles later still on the same chain, chain still looks the same. Just added a nemo chain oiler, just because I often go down dirt roads and I’d like to oil the chain to clean it while I ride. I’ve stopped using the DuPont chain wax and just went to ATF or gear oil depending on my mood.

Fwiw I got 23,000 miles out of my stock oem chain and still running the original sprockets with 32,000 miles on them now. I lube my chain when it looks dry, or after I have ridden in the rain and adjust it when it gets a new tire about every 8,000 miles. As long as it doesnt hit the swingarm when pushed up in the middle of the bottom run, it's adjustment is ok by me.

Back