• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Timing chain sound

bodjan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All, a year ago a bought a 2014 NC 750 X, which I appreciate since then very much. I am trying to keep the bike in as good condition as possible but recently I started to notice that when the engine warms up I can hear the running of the timing chain/valves relatively distinctly (it might have been always there, last year I did not use it much so perhaps just did not notice it). The bike has 47000 km in it, so I checked the valve clearance, adjusted a bit but actually wasn't too bad and the sound did not really change. As I was reading the forum, I saw that some people had timing chain tensioner problem, so I am considering to pull it apart the engine again and check if I could see anything. Before I would do that, I was wondering if anyone has experience if what else could be checked so that the engine sounds as smooth as when it is still cold? Perhaps, is it something normal and all has this chain mechanic sounds and I am only being paranoid (I know it is hard to tell when no sound is recorded, but judging from the YouTube recordings it is not so helpful).
In general the bike runs great, idle rpm stable, no issues what so ever.

You can use a mechanic's stethoscope to locate the source of the sound. You can get it on your regional Amazon. But that also takes some experience. I think the nearest vehicle repair shop may be of help.

I just wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye (ear) on it, use the bike and see if it gets worse. These engines are not the quietest so what you are hearing is probably normal. Worst case scenario is you blow the engine up (Incredibly unlikely IMO). All you do then is fit another second hand engine, of which there are plenty.

Last edited:
19k miles. I checked & adjusted the valves around 16k miles.

Thanks!
-Jim G
I would recheck and make sure they're right, there have been instances of owners getting them way off, not using the right timing marks.

I don't recall, but it wasn't much. If I remember correctly, the exhaust valves were slightly tight.

-Jim G
It might be a good idea to look at them again. It could be the microphone but they sound loose.
Anybody else think that? Do you have a service manual for reference?

Last edited:
Back