• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

TIPS to get the best fuel economy MPG from the NC?

Try this and see if you get better mileage. Fill the up and take a ride. Do your best to not let your rpm's get above 4,000 on the ride.
Then fill up and do it again with 3,500 rpm as your max.
Next make 3,000 rpm as your limit. I bet you'll start getting some impressive numbers.
I just rode 60 miles with a 3,000 rpm limit and it took a lot of self control not to open it up.
If you set limits, its not so bad because you can enjoy the scenery along the way.

^^^^^^^ What turbo said!

On most rides my engine never goes above 3500. I can take a 2000 mile trip and easily never go past 4000 RPM. That's a big reason my mileage is good. It doesn't take self control; it's how I like to use this engine.

You can be pretty agressive and still get decent mpg--i got nearly 60mpg avg doing almost 90mph for half a tank, giving about half throttle for accel and shifting every one or two seconds until I get to 6th (at about 40mph and 2000rpm). At that point it still accelerates decently, but doesn't hit the powerband for another 300-500 rpm so if you need quick accel (at the expense of fuel economy), you'd need to shift into 5th for a couple seconds (until about 3000rpm) and then back into 6th.

^^^^^^^ What turbo said!

On most rides my engine never goes above 3500. I can take a 2000 mile trip and easily never go past 4000 RPM. That's a big reason my mileage is good. It doesn't take self control; it's how I like to use this engine.

Maybe for you Greg! I'm use to hauling the mail on my commute. Ya know, the 48-50 mpg kind. Not to mention, The mean old blue hair trying to run me down on a 65 mph road, when 3000 rpm is my max. Heck, I carry a sidearm and they still put the fear in me. lol

I get between 56 mpg and 62 mpg on most of my tanks. That's mixed riding (urban and highway) with hard side cases and top case attached, ethanol-free gas, sport mode all the time, and 'brisk' acceleration. Could I do better? Probably, but that would be less fun. ;-)

I too have found 45 to be the sweet spot.
2 other observations:
The first I have personally found a decrease in mileage, when in 6th, going under 45. I attribute that to some of the hills that I have around me. Going up them at slightly slower that 45 causes me to lug.

Because I use my bike to commute I thought it would be a good idea to put in "ride on"
I don't know if it has saved me from a flat yet but I did notice a significant decrease in mpg. Probably due to the extra rotation al weight.

I worked out Fuelly has the NC700x at 65 mpg average for 430 bikes. So that would be your baseline. My caution would be while getting great gas mileage gives you bragging rights, if you're not moving with the traffic (I feel) you're increasing your risk of getting hit.
Recognize that
Fuelly types will be more apt to pay attention to and try to maximize their mileage. I never get 65, and I don't track it.

I rarely get 60, but 99% of my riding is at about 75MPH. If I go 65 or less, I get around 65MPG. This is California, so we only have Ethanol fuel which sucks a solid 3-5MPG out of it as well. I also run with saddlebags and a top box.

I rarely get 60, but 99% of my riding is at about 75MPH. If I go 65 or less, I get around 65MPG. This is California, so we only have Ethanol fuel which sucks a solid 3-5MPG out of it as well. I also run with saddlebags and a top box.

Your main MPG factor is running 75mph. I live in corn country and I've been stuck with 10% ethanol for over 20 years. The difference in BTU potential is just 3%. I still average 76 mpg. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
I've had as low as 58 mpg at high speed in the wind, and the low 80s mpg when slow riding through the Sierras.

Your main MPG factor is running 75mph. I live in corn country and I've been stuck with 10% ethanol for over 20 years. The difference in BTU potential is just 3%. I still average 76 mpg. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Yup, totally agree.

The relatively low amount of power that the motor makes means it has to work under a significant load to overcome the wind at 75mph. When I drop to 63-65mph I get a consistent 65 miles per gallon, no problem.

Thing is, here in California (Bay Area), if I go 63-65mph, I'll get ran over by just about everyone.

Thing is, here in California (Bay Area), if I go 63-65mph, I'll get ran over by just about everyone.

I understand. You've got no choice, outside of moving.

Yup, totally agree.

The relatively low amount of power that the motor makes means it has to work under a significant load to overcome the wind at 75mph. When I drop to 63-65mph I get a consistent 65 miles per gallon, no problem.

I definitely get my best tank mpg when I'm lanesplitting in traffic. Otherwise you are right. Going slower than traffic is not worth the fuel saved by going slow on a freeway in California.

What is this, "shifting" you speak of? :)

My best ever MPG was 72.10 according to Fuelly and I saw 72.5 average on my screen over a 60 mile round trip on a couple of 55mph highways.
This was right after cleaning, lubing and adjusting the chain and no boxes.

Since then I've seen a slow decline in my efficiency according to Fuelly.

This is probably because I flog it more, use the manual shifters, and spend more time in the S modes than I did when I first got it.
I've since gotten a full set of boxy luggage.

I've ordered a new chain and sprockets, so we'll see if it improves when those arrive and get put on.

What is this, "shifting" you speak of? :)

My best ever MPG was 72.10 according to Fuelly and I saw 72.5 average on my screen over a 60 mile round trip on a couple of 55mph highways.
This was right after cleaning, lubing and adjusting the chain and no boxes.

Since then I've seen a slow decline in my efficiency according to Fuelly.

This is probably because I flog it more, use the manual shifters, and spend more time in the S modes than I did when I first got it.
I've since gotten a full set of boxy luggage.

I've ordered a new chain and sprockets, so we'll see if it improves when those arrive and get put on.

Oh man! You are missing out! Shifting allows you to choose to have power or to get the best fuel mileage;)

I see a direct correlation between the smile on my face and rate at which fuel is consumed.

Back