• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tips, Tricks, Advice learned from experience

netizen

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
This thread is intended to be loaded with knowledge learned through experience or passed down from friends. I hope it will become so loaded with ideas and learned advice, that a new rider could quickly become an experienced rider.

Please post links to articles, pictures or other supporting info to your advice, tips, tricks if you cannot post the full details or pictures in your post.

Examples would be: the center stand install trick with pulley, OCR’s method of mounting a packed bike (back seat loaded), Triumph fork protectors that fit the NCX, Wind deflectors for your windscreen, layering for riding in the cold, what foods and beverages to avoid for distance riding and which ones you should be eating and drinking.

I hope a year from now I can go back and read dozens of great posts of information and realize how much I have learned from reading the posts shared here from riders from all over the world.

Ok, I'll start this off with the Center Stand instal trick

Here is the Youtube video of the instal
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DN-LfhefbXCU

Here is a link to the forum posting about it.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/how-to-s-/827-oem-honda-center-stand-install.html

Here is a pictorial instal posted by Northwestrider
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/2401-centerstand-trick-post32009.html#post32009

The basic info on this is to attach a ratchet strap to the spring hook and then attach the other end to something anchored... in the video he attaches the other end to the swing arm where it attaches to the rear axle. You ratchet the ratchet strap pulling the spring until it lines up with the hole on the cetnerstand and you push the hook of the spring through the hole. You then release the ratchet strap tension and the spring hook is attached.

Last edited:
Ok, here is OCR's mounting technique on an NCX with a backrest (you can't swing your leg over the backrest, so it is like having the back seat loaded down).
This will work for the vertically challenged as well. I know I have trouble mounting every time I load the back seat with my camping gear. I try to remember OCR's technique and then I am able to mount.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/11063-video-self-described-old-short-fat-guy-getting-nc-post159785.html#post159785

Here it is in pictorial format
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/4067-adventures-nana-chou-best-little-cotton-pickin-ride-texas-post61880.html#post61880

O-Ring Throttle lock or Throttle Boss Throttle lock method as well as Vista Cruise and Omni cruise throttle locks

There are two very inexpensive ways to lock your throttle in place besides buying a throttle lock device.

The first is a big O-ring made by Caterpillar. The O-ring fits over the tap at the end of the grips and the bar end.

Post #7 and Post #9 have pics of both a black and a yellow version on the bike
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/8729-o-ring-throttle-lock-post129739.html#post129739

The other method is using a Kuryakyn Universal Throttle Boss. It attaches and detaches easily by stretching it around the grip also at the end where it meets the bar end
Amazon.com: Kuryakyn 6251 Universal Throttle Boss: Automotive

Throttle Boss.jpg

The commercial versions are also available. They tend to be a bit more fiddly and bulky IMHO and of course cost more.

Omni Cruise
Omni-Cruise Products - Omni Cruise

Go cruise
Amazon.com: Go Cruise Ease Stress on Your Throttle 1 Inch Handlebars: Automotive

The next level up is throttle lock Kaoko throttle lock. It's quite a bit more expensive for a throttle lock
Kaoko Throttle Lock Honda NC700X / CTX700 / CB500X/F / CBR500R 2012-2015 - RevZilla

A few tricks I've learned:

Getting the bike up on the centerstand for weaklings: Straighten the bike upright and push down on the centerstand with your foot so that both sides of the centerstand feet are touching the ground. Grab the left passenger side grab rail underhand with your right hand. Grab the left side handlebar grip with your left hand. Put all your weight on the centerstand lever, at the same time pull UP as hard as you can on the grab rail with your underhand right grip. Tada!

Getting the bike off the centerstand: For DCT, engage the parking brake. For manual, put it in gear. Lower the side stand. Grasp the bike at the points above. Gently rocker the bike back and forth. It'll roll off the centerstand and bounce a bit. Let the kickstand take the weight now.

Start each and every bolt by hand. When you have all the bolts started, then you can torque the bolts with a wrench. Unless, you have a fetish inhabited by a spirit for installing HeliCoils.

O-Ring Throttle lock or Throttle Boss Throttle lock method as well as Vista Cruise and Omni cruise throttle locks

There are two very inexpensive ways to lock your throttle in place besides buying a throttle lock device.

The first is a big O-ring made by Caterpillar. The O-ring fits over the tap at the end of the grips and the bar end.

Post #7 and Post #9 have pics of both a black and a yellow version on the bike
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/8729-o-ring-throttle-lock-post129739.html#post129739

The other method is using a Kuryakyn Universal Throttle Boss. It attaches and detaches easily by stretching it around the grip also at the end where it meets the bar end
Amazon.com: Kuryakyn 6251 Universal Throttle Boss: Automotive

View attachment 29813

The commercial versions are also available. They tend to be a bit more fiddly and bulky IMHO and of course cost more.

Omni Cruise
Omni-Cruise Products - Omni Cruise

Go cruise
Amazon.com: Go Cruise Ease Stress on Your Throttle 1 Inch Handlebars: Automotive

The next level up is throttle lock Kaoko throttle lock. It's quite a bit more expensive for a throttle lock
Kaoko Throttle Lock Honda NC700X / CTX700 / CB500X/F / CBR500R 2012-2015 - RevZilla

+1 on the big yellow O-Ring throttle lock. Simple, easy to engage and disengage, cheap, and best of all, unobtrusive. The other options, for me, just put too much "junk" on the throttle and interfere with riding. I used the O-Ring for an hour long interstate run and it was great. It can also be "overridden" by just using more force turning the throttle.

Avoid being surprised. Surprise panics us and shuts down infinite potential escape routes. Develop the skill of forethought and "seeing" into the future. Accidents are almost always predictable in hindsight. Use hindsight as foresight.

Never ever tailgate the vehicle ahead of you. It shuts down your sight lines to potential threats and hides you from oncoming vehicles that can cross your path because they don't see you. Never follow in the center of the lane. Choose a wheel track on side or the other to best see around the vehicles ahead. Try and look 10 seconds ahead if possible and never less than 2 seconds.

The vehicle ahead blocks your view of debris in the middle of the lane. His car or truck will straddle the dead dog - we hit it and join Fido in the hereafter. Cage drivers will shift position in lane to avoid debris. If you are looking 10 or 12 seconds ahead you'll see one cage after the other shift to avoid it.

Always think how you present yourself best to oncoming vehicles and vehicles waiting to turn across your path. Strive to remain as visible as possible to any potential threat. Keep your sight lines open. The best lane choice and position in the lane is always fluid and ever-changing as traffic flows.

Last edited:
A few tricks I've learned:

Getting the bike up on the centerstand for weaklings: Straighten the bike upright and push down on the centerstand with your foot so that both sides of the centerstand feet are touching the ground. Grab the left passenger side grab rail underhand with your right hand. Grab the left side handlebar grip with your left hand. Put all your weight on the centerstand lever, at the same time pull UP as hard as you can on the grab rail with your underhand right grip. Tada!

Getting the bike off the centerstand: For DCT, engage the parking brake. For manual, put it in gear. Lower the side stand. Grasp the bike at the points above. Gently rocker the bike back and forth. It'll roll off the centerstand and bounce a bit. Let the kickstand take the weight now.
That's how I put my center stand up but when it comes time to get going I hop on both pegs and rock forward and the center stand gets put away quick and easy

To each his/her own, but on any bike that weighs over 250 pounds, I ALWAYS sit on the bike and roll it forward off the center stand. This is to prevent dropping it away from me. That method has been 100% successful for 42 years.

I would also never have the side stand down. When a loaded bike rolls off the center stand and the suspension compresses, the side stand often touches down and then pitches the bike away from you, where you may not be able to catch it.

Last edited:
Whenever leaning the bike onto it's side stand, ALWAYS look down at the side stand while you do so. If you have this habit, you will never lean the bike over on a side stand that is folded up, or lean it onto too soft material and sink. If you did lean over onto a non existent side stand, by the time you realize it, you usually can't stop the bike from falling over.

No gasket, no problem! Cases are so well designed, now use only HONDABOND. New stuff is gray, old stuff was black. Put on so thin that it becomes smaller in width and thickness. Use only a tiny trace bit!!

Oh baby, baby there be no more leaks, if Hondabond in put on right!

Getting the bike off the centerstand...Lower the side stand. Grasp the bike at the points above. Gently rocker the bike back and forth. It'll roll off the centerstand and bounce a bit. Let the kickstand take the weight now.

I found that technique a disaster....and wouldn't really recommend it for a noob. This was my experience:

Once the bike leans too far away from you, you're done. Also, if you rock it forward too much and the bike's suspension drops, there is a chance the side stand will retract. Then you get to balance the bike while standing on one foot while the other one fishes the side stand back down. Pretty comical... ;-)

Much better for me (and I think many riders) is to simply hop on the bike and rock it forward using my legs. Easy peasy and no real chance of it getting away from you. No need to put the side stand down at all.

One thing I've learned you can not be over cautious in merging areas on any highway and never mind the lane you are in... some people just enter a highway right into 3rd or 4th lane directly... And when they were making this decision they just could not see you through 2-4 lanes of traffic...

Don't get your feelings hurt if a HD rider doesn't do the "wave".

Do not get your feelings hurt ever))))
Some people are just new to the ride and do not feel comfortable even look around or over 20 feet in fron of the wheel, not even talking about letting the handlebars off for a second.
Some are not attentive enough to notice you on the other side.
Some think you are just another jerk on a sport bike, because it doesn't look like a Harley...
Some just hate you and wish they never met you:D

NC7 engine oil pressure sensor gauge will be happy to install right side up or wrong side down. Just the engine won't start, until it is turned around.

Last edited:
Back