• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Tire change question - one tire vs two tires at the same time

janea

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

I looked to see whether this topic was discussed before, but didn't find a thread that could answer my questions, so here is what I wanted to ask.

I have a set of Michelin's Road 5 on my 2018 NC750X and I have been very pleased with them in terms of mileage and handling. Both tires were changed at the same time and if I remember correctly I have roughly 8500 miles on this set. As it stands, on front tire, the TWI (Tread Wear Indicator) is telling me that the tire will need to be replaced soon. On the rear tire, I would estimate it has about another 35-40% of tread life left in it (I included photos for ease of reference). This begs the question: should I change just the front tire or replace both tires at the same? If I would to replace it/them, I would certainly go for the exact same tire (i.e. Michelin Road 5s).

Any views / opinions on the above question?

Thank you in advance for your input!
Janea

Tire Front.jpgTire Front 2.jpgTire Rear.jpgTire Rear 2.jpg

I most always change only the tire that needs changing. The only reason I would change a tire that is not totally used up is if I am going on a long trip and I require sufficient tread to make it through the whole trip. Even then I would set aside the partially used tire and reinstall it later.

I'm surprised that your tires have worn so differently. I'm replacing both of mine soon and they have worn evenly. The front has 3/32 of tread (just less than 3mm) and the rear has 3.5/32 of tread, (just more than 3mm). The old tires are the OEM Metzler Tourance. New tires will be the Michelin Road 5 sitting under my work table.

Last edited:
I most always change only the tire the needs changing. The only reason I would change a tire that is not totally used up is if I am going on a long trip and I require sufficient tread to make it through the whole trip. Even then I would set aside the partially used tire and reinstall it later.
Thank you for your input @670cc

I'm surprised that your tires have worn so differently. I'm replacing both of mine soon and they have worn similarly. The front has 3/32 of tread (just less than 3mm) and the rear has 3.5/32 of tread, (just more than 3mm). The old tires are the OEM Metzler Tourance. New tires will be the Michelin Road 5 sitting under my work table.
I have also wondered the same. Not sure what could have caused the uneven wear (wear in terms of tread life; otherwise both tires have worn symmetrically).

I’m a new rider but have burned through the stock set in two months and replaced both tires even though the front still had plenty of tread left. I changed both because I changed the brand/model of the tires. From the research I’ve done and asking riders I know personally, if you’re sticking with the same brand/model tire, only changing out the worn tire is ok. However, if you’re planning on going with a different tire overall, it’s best to change as a set. Motorcycle tire manufacturers design the set to work together as a pair and can apparently be dangerous to mix and match. Of course this is based on research and not experience, but I’d personally side with caution regarding one of the most important aspects of a motorcycle. Just my two cents, ride safe.

I’m a new rider but have burned through the stock set in two months and replaced both tires even though the front still had plenty of tread left. I changed both because I changed the brand/model of the tires. From the research I’ve done and asking riders I know personally, if you’re sticking with the same brand/model tire, only changing out the worn tire is ok. However, if you’re planning on going with a different tire overall, it’s best to change as a set. Motorcycle tire manufacturers design the set to work together as a pair and can apparently be dangerous to mix and match. Of course this is based on research and not experience, but I’d personally side with caution regarding one of the most important aspects of a motorcycle. Just my two cents, ride safe.
100% agreed on avoiding mixing and matching between brands/tiress, @shinøbigami .
Many thanks for your input too!

Nothing feels or handles quite as good as a new pair of tyres. If You replace them one at a time then You never achieve that good feeling and associated handling.

Personally I would continue to use them until the front is done and then replace as a pair. In fairness at 8500 miles as Road 5's go, they have served You well imho.

I mix and match tires; sometimes I intentionally mix tire brands. For example on the 1st gen Goldwing 1800, I preferred the Bridgestone front tire and the Dunlop rear tire. Currently my NC has a Metzeler on the front and a Shinko on the rear. I don’t see any problem with brand mixing similar tire types, but I would probably not mix a dual sport tire and a street tire.

Like 670cc, I have mixed and matched brands and models. I find that Wiley (my 700X) generally uses up roughly 2 rear tires to 1 front, but with certain tire models it’s 1:1 or even slightly less. I won’t replace a half-worn tire just because. These days I more often than not will replace both if one is worn out and the other is within a thousand or so miles of worn out.

Hello All,

I looked to see whether this topic was discussed before, but didn't find a thread that could answer my questions, so here is what I wanted to ask.

I have a set of Michelin's Road 5 on my 2018 NC750X and I have been very pleased with them in terms of mileage and handling. Both tires were changed at the same time and if I remember correctly I have roughly 8500 miles on this set. As it stands, on front tire, the TWI (Tread Wear Indicator) is telling me that the tire will need to be replaced soon. On the rear tire, I would estimate it has about another 35-40% of tread life left in it (I included photos for ease of reference). This begs the question: should I change just the front tire or replace both tires at the same? If I would to replace it/them, I would certainly go for the exact same tire (i.e. Michelin Road 5s).

Any views / opinions on the above question?

Thank you in advance for your input!
Janea

View attachment 48921View attachment 48922View attachment 48923View attachment 48924
I'm on a third set of Road 5s on my RT and they wear the same way. The front returns about 10 or 11,000 miles and the rears give 12 to 13,000 miles. This pattern is unusual in my experience. I've usually wear out rears long before the fronts. I like to replace tires as a set but I don't always do so. Depends on the particular set of tires. I don't mix tire brands.

I like to change tires in sets. They feel better that way IMO. In the ancient past I would run them to wear bars with the front usually lasting twice as long as the rear, but for me it isn't like that anymore. The last 15 years or so, since they went to dual compound tires the front only last a little longer than the rears (or vice versa) and suddenly I am back at the shop trying to schedule another tire change during the riding season. I usually ride about 2000-2500 miles a month from April until October or November and I don't want to be in the shop twice in the span of just a couple of weeks, so I just change them both at the same time.

I like to change tires in sets. They feel better that way IMO. In the ancient past I would run them to wear bars with the front usually lasting twice as long as the rear, but for me it isn't like that anymore. The last 15 years or so, since they went to dual compound tires the front only last a little longer than the rears (or vice versa) and suddenly I am back at the shop trying to schedule another tire change during the riding season. I usually ride about 2000-2500 miles a month from April until October or November and I don't want to be in the shop twice in the span of just a couple of weeks, so I just change them both at the same time.
I can see how tire changing preferences can depend on whether the owner does the work or hires a shop. For me, there is no need to decide if I want to go to the shop more or less often, and get them both done while I’m there. I change all my own tires so if I just get up one day and decide a particular tire needs changing, I just do it right then and there. I always have a new tire ready to go in my stock. For my Goldwing, I have a spare set of wheels and the next tire is already mounted on the rim and balanced.

If the owner needs to take the bike into a dealer for tire service, I can see how the decision process might be different.

Like 670cc, I have mixed and matched brands and models. I find that Wiley (my 700X) generally uses up roughly 2 rear tires to 1 front, but with certain tire models it’s 1:1 or even slightly less. I won’t replace a half-worn tire just because. These days I more often than not will replace both if one is worn out and the other is within a thousand or so miles of worn out.
Thanks for the input @MZ5

Nothing feels or handles quite as good as a new pair of tyres. If You replace them one at a time then You never achieve that good feeling and associated handling.

Personally I would continue to use them until the front is done and then replace as a pair. In fairness at 8500 miles as Road 5's go, they have served You well imho.
I appreciate your input @Griff! I totally see your point too -- two new tires at once would give a rider the best "good feeling", no doubt about that.

I'm on a third set of Road 5s on my RT and they wear the same way. The front returns about 10 or 11,000 miles and the rears give 12 to 13,000 miles. This pattern is unusual in my experience. I've usually wear out rears long before the fronts. I like to replace tires as a set but I don't always do so. Depends on the particular set of tires. I don't mix tire brands.
For sure the pattern is unusual, @dduelin. To a degree, I think it depends on the motorcycle too (i.e. what model) and the roads frequented. On the original set (Dunlop), the front worn out faster than the rear too, albeit not at the same ratio as the Michelin's I have on now.

My rear tire always wears before the front. I’ve changed just the front if I’m staying with the same brand and model of tires. If I’m switching make/model, then they both get changed and any “unused tread” is just the cost of doing business. I think I’m going to go to the Road 5 on the next change - curious to see if the front wears faster.

I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion on this forum, but there's still life left in that front tire. I've always ran mine far beyond that. It's odd that your front tire has worn more quickly than rear though. Have you maintained proper air pressure in the front?

Back