• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Tire change question - one tire vs two tires at the same time

I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion on this forum, but there's still life left in that front tire. I've always ran mine far beyond that. It's odd that your front tire has worn more quickly than rear though. Have you maintained proper air pressure in the front?
Ditto. I was also going to say it looked like there was a lot of tire life left, but I don’t have experience with the Road 5 wear rate to be able to make the call.

I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion on this forum, but there's still life left in that front tire. I've always ran mine far beyond that. It's odd that your front tire has worn more quickly than rear though. Have you maintained proper air pressure in the front?
I can’t speak for the OP but I’m very careful about tire pressures. On this RT I’ve been exclusively on Road 5s for 34,000 miles and with three sets the front wears faster than the rear by about 20%. Definitely the opposite from Bridgestones and Metzelers which make up the bulk of my experience the last decade and a half. I can’t compare / contrast the R5 on the NC though. I’m on Pilot Powers at present.

Yes, always monitored and maintained the proper air pressure in it.

I am also surprised by the range of different experiences -- for some the front tire goes out faster, for some the rear.

I can’t speak for the OP but I’m very careful about tire pressures. On this RT I’ve been exclusively on Road 5s for 34,000 miles and with three sets the front wears faster than the rear by about 20%. Definitely the opposite from Bridgestones and Metzelers which make up the bulk of my experience the last decade and a half. I can’t compare / contrast the R5 on the NC though. I’m on Pilot Powers at present.
Same here, @dduelin. I am very diligent with the tire pressure. I am probably not too far away from your tire wear experiences. It sure would be nice to change them both at the same time, but it would be a pity to discard the rear tire. It is why I started this post, in order to gauge what the best course of action would be. I am inclined to charge the front only for now (and soon).

If its a price thing then change which ever is worn out with what ever your comfortable with. But every tire mfg. has always recommended to change in sets only. And for good reason the radius of these tires are matched to work with each other front and rear, that is the contact patch or footprint. The rubber continues to change as they age, the dirt trackers used to "roof" the new tires to make them harder to last longer. For many years I would go thru 2 sometimes 3 rear tires for every front one. The fronts do not feather on these bikes with only the single disk and the rears do not have to deal with high horsepower or weight. Nowadays money is not a problem for me and I replace in sets only. With new tires front and back if you get caught in rain new tires prevail. Just my opinion but there is nothing like a new set of tires on your bike you will never regret it.

If its a price thing then change which ever is worn out with what ever your comfortable with. But every tire mfg. has always recommended to change in sets only.
If I sold tires I would recommend you replace both at the same time. Each time you wear one of them out, I’ll sell you two.

If its a price thing then change which ever is worn out with what ever your comfortable with. But every tire mfg. has always recommended to change in sets only. And for good reason the radius of these tires are matched to work with each other front and rear, that is the contact patch or footprint. The rubber continues to change as they age, the dirt trackers used to "roof" the new tires to make them harder to last longer. For many years I would go thru 2 sometimes 3 rear tires for every front one. The fronts do not feather on these bikes with only the single disk and the rears do not have to deal with high horsepower or weight. Nowadays money is not a problem for me and I replace in sets only. With new tires front and back if you get caught in rain new tires prevail. Just my opinion but there is nothing like a new set of tires on your bike you will never regret it.
Thanks @brb. I appreciate you for weighing in on this

Just my opinion but I got into a few Out of Control moments in the 80s with not replacing tires in sets. Some times it was the compounds mix match soft/normal that worked depending on tire temp. Other times it was the hardness of the old tire to the softness of the new. Do not know how other riders are seeing wear on theirs but mine seam to wear with a flat spot from straight up riding to a flat spot on either side. When I first noticed this I was pulling out a little fast and when I leaned over the tire got to that edge between the flats and lit up a little before setting on the side flat.

Hi I traded my 14 plate nc750x in for a decent low miles mk2 hayabusa. Had it 4 years then traded it in 2wks ago for a 2018 nc750x. Bonnie bike with Michelin Road 5s.
As with both last bikes the front lasted in accordance with the speeds and forces on cornering.
Drive harder into corners wears quicker.
This new bike has good front tyre and low rear. I fitted a new 160 60 17 pirelli scorpion as this tread pattern is favoured by me as smooth / quiet on the road, so unlikely to reduce mpg. Regular enough short wood roads so fine.
Once the front wears I expect to change the front. Not for no reason. This particular mix I'm fine with. Last Friday in extreme torrential downpour there was no issue. Damp also ok.
My suzuki clearly handled its best on avon 3dx front. Yet avon rear lasted weeks. And not so good as michelin on the rear.
Opinions are good to see. yet one person's opinion oft is not the same as another's.

2021 NC750X DCT ABS
I replaced my OEM Metzler tires at 7250 miles in June with Michelin Road 5's. The rear had worn into the wear bar and the front was just a bit above the wear bar. I replaced both tires at the same time. I noticed an immediate improvement in handling over the worn tires as I was scuffing in the new tires. I now have just over 800 miles on the new tires and recently realized that I am riding 5 to 7 miles per hour faster than I had on the old tires. I need to keep an eye on my speed in patrolled areas. Fuel milage has improved too. On the Metzlers I averaged 67.3 mpg (US) over 37 fill ups. On the Michelin's I have averaged 71.1 mpg (US) over 5 fill ups. I've been caught in the rain twice on the Michelins and did not change the ride mode to "Rain". I had recently started using the rain mode on the Metzlers. I did not use the rain mode when the Metzlers were new.

Are the new Michelins better than the new OEM Metzlers? I don't know.
The new Michelin tires are definitely better than the worn end of life original Metzlers.

I'm closing in on 8000 miles on my Road 5s that replaced the OEM Metzler's at 7,130 miles and the Michelin's are about toast. The Michelin's have been great tires, but today I ordered a set of Pirelli Angel GT's which I run on my CB1100 since Michelin quit making the sizes I need for that bike. I've also found the Pirelli's to be great tires. Thought hard and long about the Shinkos, but in the end and knowing thse tires will have to carry me thru winter into next spring, I went with a tire I was familiar with and had confidence in. Maybe next spring I'll try the Shinkos.

I replaced both stock Dunlop tires at 4200 miles. Currently have 6000 miles on the replacement set of Bridgestone T31 front and rear. They look to be wearing well and have a lot of life left in them. Whenever either one hits the wear bars, I'll replace it.

On my ST1300, I replaced the OEM tires with a set of Michelin PR4s. The rear wore out and was replaced with a T31. Replaced the front the following year with a matching T31. I recently replaced the rear with another T31. I'll continue replacing tires as needed, one at a time. The front seems to last through 1 1/2 rear tires.

My 12 came with the Metzeler Z8 then used Bridgestone T30, T30 EVO, T31 they were all good tires about 10K avg miles. Went back to Metzeler Roadtec 01 and they have got to be one of the best rain tires out there in my opinion. I always replace in sets nowadays and check the date code on the tires before using.

I’ve always only changed the tire who needed too be changed, - normally in spring and autum…
I changes to winter tires, this time a year.. :) (Heidenau Silicon 73’s outstands everything else I’ve tried)
So for the spring 23, I only need to get me a new rear tire.. (preferably Diablo Stradas - it lasts a summer.. and the front tire, two summers ;) )
Have a nice on.. 8)

Attachments

• D2B01D36-D3E1-4D69-A479-7CF91066ED92.jpeg
    D2B01D36-D3E1-4D69-A479-7CF91066ED92.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I normally have gotten approx 2x the mileage out of my front tire than the rear , but that's been on bikes w 2-3 x the hp of the NC and I accelerate out of most corners. On the NC I can see them being closer to 1 to 1 ,due to lack of HP and I seem to charge into corners a little harder to keep up with my friends in more powerful bikes

My rear tire always wears before the front. I’ve changed just the front if I’m staying with the same brand and model of tires. If I’m switching make/model, then they both get changed and any “unused tread” is just the cost of doing business. I think I’m going to go to the Road 5 on the next change - curious to see if the front wears faster.
Well, I just had 2 more Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's installed ... I let the Triumph dealer (local and good reputation) mount them ($35 per wheel, bought the tires from them as they price matched Revzilla). The dealer couldn't get the Road 5's ... I like the Pirelli's but would have gone with the Road 5's if they could have got them. Candidly, I was much more excited about not having to mount the tires myself.

I took both wheels in .. here's how I secured the bike. The jack in the center just had enough pressure to center the bike (there a piece of wood between the jack and the oil pan to spread out the load). The jack stands engage each axle on the notch of the jack stand -- again just enough to balance the bike fore and aft. Note I also use a ratchet strap to secure the center stand and keep it from folding up if the bike got bumped.

IMG_5225.JPGIMG_5226.JPGIMG_5227.JPG

Back