• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tires???

Bcsmith

Reaction score
Visit site
So got a few miles left in my Dunlop tires and am going to replace the rear one soon. I have been happy with them except for the fact they wear quickly. What do you NC riders recommend. I am looking for something similar to the Dunlop’s as they suit my driving needs. I mostly ride pavement or gravel once in a while I may venture into some dirt but never sand.

You’ll likely get about 20 different tire suggestions in a thread like this, so get a tablet out so you can write ‘em down.

It might help to specify a price preference. Some tires are over the double the price of others.

Searching in the Tire Tech Talk forum, you find prior discussions with this same type question, along with many tire suggestions.

So got a few miles left in my Dunlop tires and am going to replace the rear one soon. I have been happy with them except for the fact they wear quickly. What do you NC riders recommend. I am looking for something similar to the Dunlop’s as they suit my driving needs. I mostly ride pavement or gravel once in a while I may venture into some dirt but never sand.
Micheline Pilot Road 5's are great tires that last a lot longer than the oem tires. They also just came out with a Road 5 GT model that might be a better option, as it's a little heavier duty version of the regular Road 5 and would be better suited for a slightly heavier bike like the NC.

Also, Dunlop has the Roadsmart series, but they supposedly do not grip as well as the Road 5's, however they may outlast them in mileage. Unless you are riding really aggressively in curves, the difference in grip between the two will likely go unnoticed. The Roadsmart 3 has been out for a while, and they just dropped a new version, the Roadsmart 4.

Here is a great review vid on the Roadsmart tires.

Also the Pirelli Angel GT would be comparable to the Road 5's.

Also check out the Michelin Anakee line of tires. There's a guy that rides a BMW GS1200 around Deals Gap a lot and there are several pictures of him dragging his hard bags through the curves and he runs the Anakee Adventures. The Anakee 3's will be a little more road friendly than the Anakee Adventures.

All of these tires should last quite a while, I'd say a range of 8-12k miles based on type of riding and how well you maintain tire pressure.

Put the Michelin Road 5 on both of our bikes.

Seriously looked at the Pirelli Angel GT, slightly cheaper and comparable to the Road 5's but I had 2 nails in my rear tire and I could get the Road 5 immediately or wait a week for 2 sets of the Angel GT.

Really happy with the choice of the Road 5. Best wet weather tire I've ridden. If you are 95% of the time on paved roadways it would be hard to beat the Road 5. I have some groomed gravel roads, as we all as chip & seal roads surrounding the rural area where I live and the Road 5 is fine for those roadways. I have a loose gravel drive on my property, its a bit sketchy on loose gravel. Its OK on dry grass, probably not great on wet grass (never tried). I would not take it off road.

Hey NC riders. Purchased a new rear tire today and went with the Dunlop Roadsmart III. Great review posted above by TacomaJD. Strongly recommend by my Honda dealer as great tire. I will let you know how I like it.

Hey NC riders. Purchased a new rear tire today and went with the Dunlop Roadsmart III. Great review posted above by TacomaJD. Strongly recommend by my Honda dealer as great tire. I will let you know how I like it.
I was really interested in this tire but based on research I don't think it offers the grip I desire when cornering hard, but sounds like it should last a good long time and be sufficient for most riders in terms of performance! Good luck with it!

Hey BC, when i run mine on paved roads i run my tires up 36f/42r. When i know i'm going off roading or gravel for a longer ride that day i air them down to about 24f/30r respectively. For me, this is a good combination and allows the bike to handle well for me(though YMMV). Then once i am back on pavement i use a nice little Slime 12v tire pump(that i always carry in the Frunk) and it quickly airs them back of to regular pressure and Bob's your uncle. :{)

Hey BC, when i run mine on paved roads i run my tires up 36f/42r. When i know i'm going off roading or gravel for a longer ride that day i air them down to about 24f/30r respectively. For me, this is a good combination and allows the bike to handle well for me(though YMMV). Then once i am back on pavement i use a nice little Slime 12v tire pump(that i always carry in the Frunk) and it quickly airs them back of to regular pressure and Bob's your uncle. :{)
Great idea. Bobs your uncle

Back