• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

To Our Fla Inmates

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just want you folks to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. I know that the forseable future might be very difficult. I hope you and your loved ones will be safe.

Heartily agreed, and my own humble apologies for neglecting to wish the same earlier, for our Texas NCX family! :eek:

Hang in there, peeps!

Echoed from Ireland. We are well aware of the tribulations facing all of You.

I invited friends in Lakeland to come stay with us...they elected to ride it out. Really worried about them.

Now that the tracks continue to shift west away from my home I feel for those in harm's way but I got in a 230 mile ride this morning. I might be able to sneak in a quick ride tomorrow morning if heavy rain holds off.

We did all our hurricane prep at our place Wednesday to Friday. Guaranteed to shift track away!

I actually did some prep earlier this week while the track was east. Fran hit Raleigh a number of years ago with 70 mph winds and tore the place up. Looked like a war zone. I dont take chances.

I spent my first 61 years living in the center/South of Brooklyn, NY so I had the pleasure of hurricanes and blizzards. When I found out I was going to be relocated to the Space Coast, I checked building codes, flood plain areas and bought a house built to 2010 code, 8 miles from water and close to I-95, if need be. Did the usual hurricane prep for this one, but the storm track has moved so far West, that there may not be much in the way of hurricane force winds when I am. I didn't lose power from Matthew and hope I don't lose it this time. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people without the resources to make the housing choice I did, and I hope things go well for them.

I also hope a the weather and road conditions clear up some time this week, because I was planning to ride to Ohio to spend some time with my younger son.

Who goes TO Florida during hurricane warnings.. Hmm I did. I flew to Tampa on Labor Day. I hadn't checked news for 4 days prior to leaving and the last I had checked, Irma had just formed off Africa. Flew down, got rental car, turned on radio and with, Irma was coming towards Florida. Drove up to Gainesville where my wife lives, Williston actually. Worked on busted waterline for 3 days, return flight from Tampa was cancelled and couldn't book another flight. Prepped for hurricane, cat 1 when she went over the house. 3 trees came down on the garage but no damage. Wife will have trees removed by professionals. No power now at the house since Sunday night and may be out for 2 weeks. Now sitting at Gainesville airport waiting for flight to Louisville. I call this the vacation from hell.... My less expensive vacation turned into most expensive vacation ever..

Sent from my Z917VL using Tapatalk

Hope all you guys in Jacksonville and other parts of state are ok

Sent from my Z917VL using Tapatalk
Thanks Dave. I can only speak for myself but my house did fine here in Jacksonville. Some parts of the city flooded and half of us lost power but my neighborhood had mostly tree limbs broken off and a few trees fell. We never lost power and it blew max +/-80 mph near me for about 12 hours. In 2016 Hurricane Matthew took a lot of weak trees out which was a good thing in nature's way because Irma would have been much worse.

The eye of Irma went over my house near Tampa as a cat 2. I had boarded windows and was still nervous. I've lived here for over 50 years and it was the worse for me. It was big and nasty but, thankfully, it was no Harvey. While a lot of Floridians are still out of power tye vast majority just ended up without damage to their homes. That same storm 20 miles west or 60 miles east would of done a lot more damage.

Way more rain, water and wind than Matthew Lost power for 19 hours, but no damage to the house. I had been planning to go see my son in Ohio at the beginning of the week, but I'm waiting for the gas situation to get better, so I'll leave Friday.

Hi from Ft. Lauderdale. I rode out the hurricane from my IT job at Florida Medical Center. Hospital did fine as it had an on-site emergency generator and corporate send in a huge tractor trailer gen so the hospital never lost power when normal power (FPL) went down.

The IT office across the street has two generators, one on propane and the other diesel. It lost both from 11pm to about 1am but I am another IT guy and a Facilities guy got them back up.

My house had power the whole of the storm, the street flooded to within 10 feet of the house, but the NC700 rode it out in the Florida Room

So....many stories to tell here and south of us, but hope there will be no more of these. But I am cleaning and clearing up and as always had some lessons learned.

Called a friend from the Jacksonville area yesterday. He said something to the effect of "I've been cleaning up and fixing stuff for a few days and living without electricity. Could have been a lot worse here, but I'm looking at the trees around my property that are still standing with newfound suspicion".

Back