• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Top boxes: go cheap or go brand?

Paulplex

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all; got the Honda side paniers for my 2013 NC700X, which don't make it very comfy for a pillion. Arguably, I'm not using them a lot either, so for now they've gone into the shed.

A top box could be a good option though, but the Honda option to complement the paniers is very pricey. I could go for Givi or other named brands - but I find myself wondering if the 72 litre capacity "universal" fitting top box I've seen in eBay for under £50 is a good investment or not.

So; any recommendations as to if I should go cheap - or go brand? How well do people find non standard top boxes mount to the Honda luggage rack?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure that’s a typo or a mistake. I saw the listing and from the pictures, no way that’s a 72L. It’s a 47L that everyone else has. I have one myself though mine was a name brand, it has been solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is the MMG https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VAZ61F2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It looks a lot like the Vida XL that potter posted above but about half the size. The Vida looks like it might be cheaper too. Oddly, I can't seem to get a version of a US page of Amazon to display it. But here is the MMG version that is just like mine but holds two helmets: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-T...2-spons&keywords=72l+motorcycle+top+box&psc=1 , This one is only 46 L though

So I guess the question is: two helmets or one? I am pretty happy with my 32 L top box, it holds my helmet and it locks. I did have to drill extra holes in my Honda rack and it takes another key but the Honda box was much more expensive. It is stable and secure but does require a little more finesse to lock it than the OEM box does.

You may find a 72 L top box is a bit unwieldy for the NC, I don't know. I do know that I wouldn't even bother going that big unless I needed the room for an extra helmet and a kitten:rolleyes:

Go Cheap

I ran this for one season, and gave it to my buddy and he ran it last season, (about 16k miles) still works great and weather proof. We are both pretty hardcore riders, rain or shine 30-100 degrees out. We off road and fall down as well, we both ran it bolted directly to the rack. This is small though if you are thinking you want 72 liter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GVD0VE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of those Emgo Trunks. They are pretty tough.

I got mine on the back of a well used 1975 BMW R75/6 I bought in 2003. I don't know when the previous owner installed it. I used it on the BMW for about 15,000 miles and then in 2007 moved it to a 250 Ninja for 70,000 miles including two trips coast to coast and once to Prudhoe Bay. I had it on a trail bike once and got stuck in a ditch. I was tugging on the handle of the box trying to lift the bike out of the ditch and it broke the latch away from the mounting platform. I was able to purchase a new replacement parts on E-Bay.
Haul Road Ninja.jpg

I've used it on my NC700X before I bought a different cheap box. Pretty certain the Emgo has has traveled over 100,000 miles. Now I use it on my Piaggio BV250. I don't expect it to fail, but if it is stolen somehow, I'll by another one.

IMG_5677.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpg
    IMG_5678.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
I have one of those cheap 42L universal top cases which I purchased 10+ years ago....takes a lickin and keeps on ticking. I have had it on multiple bikes. Key and latch still work. Holds my sports bag with ease (I pack light for my 3-4 day excursions). I have had 20+lbs in it with no issues. I would look it up but purchased in 2008 and no longer have links.

The Kappa bags are just generic versions of Givi (made by Givi), same product, lower prices.
Below is pic of topcase which is 10+ years old

20181005_073931.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of those Emgo Trunks. They are pretty tough.

I got mine on the back of a well used 1975 BMW R75/6 I bought in 2003. I don't know when the previous owner installed it. I used it on the BMW for about 15,000 miles and then in 2007 moved it to a 250 Ninja for 70,000 miles including two trips coast to coast and once to Prudhoe Bay. I had it on a trail bike once and got stuck in a ditch. I was tugging on the handle of the box trying to lift the bike out of the ditch and it broke the latch away from the mounting platform. I was able to purchase a new replacement parts on E-Bay.
View attachment 37713

I've used it on my NC700X before I bought a different cheap box. Pretty certain the Emgo has has traveled over 100,000 miles. Now I use it on my Piaggio BV250. I don't expect it to fail, but if it is stolen somehow, I'll by another one.

View attachment 37711

+1 for the Emgo. Its a small top case but big enough to hold my Shoei GT Air (L) with Sena 20S attached. Good box, low price.

There is no way this storage is 72L. The second picture barely fits two standard helmets. I guess the additional space could be had by increased in height but still doesn't seem like its 72L at all.

vidaXL Motorbike Top Case 72L for 2 Helmet Motorcycle Bag Pannier Back Luggage: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

That was the same thing I thought so I checked the dimensions. If the dimensions are right the math works out.

On a side note. Photo of a 58L with a HCJ medium and a Zox small.

P1040198w.jpg

I suppose I said 72, because that's what the advert said - bigger and better, right? But yeah, if it can fit a helmet on one side and spare gloves, small first aid kit and waterproofs on the other, I'm golden: what size do people think covers that?

Just thought I'd confirm the eventual outcome of my dilemma: I went brand.

Givi 47 litre capacity top box.: It's rated to be able to take more weight within it than the cheep alternatives on eBay, and I'll occasionally need to carry a spare helmet boots and trousers for my wife - which does fit in here (just!).

When we go out together on it, it's also large enough to hold both our helmets (of which my Nolan is too wide to fit in the frunk anyway).

The photo here is the box resting on the Honda luggage shelf - but the universal Givi mount bolted to that readily enough (with a couple of holes drilled through for good measure!) and I couldn't be happier. Or poorer, but then hopefully I've paid for quality that'll last...
fefdb257bac735f70975115900ed9be8.jpg

Back